• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

A love story of the old school Warcraft & what are your fondest memories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello everyone,

longtime user of the site and only recently returned back to mess with my profile while downloading some more juicy models (that I may or may not ever use LOL).

I could talk about the negative stuff (and believe you me I got tons of negative things to share), but that is not going to be this thread, even in light of the recent month.

Instead today I want to share with you my fondest memories of Warcraft, along with my love for the development of it, and hope that you do the same.

More specifically I will focus on the older games, and a point of interest I always loved about Warcraft 3.

How many of you people ever played Warcraft 1? That thought alone really makes me feel like an old man sometimes, even though I am now firmly into my prime.

warcraft-orcs-and-humans-human-campaign-intro.jpg

Getting those sweet sweet mission briefs where I felt like I was the big boy at the command table and was responsible for building/developing towns to fight off hordes of invaders.

The gritty and grimy terrains where we did glorious battle for the sake of humanity; or on the other end of it being a vicious Horde with a thirst for loot and conquest.

I forever remember raiding Medivh's Tower, running into a FREAKING DEMON (the ones in WC1 were scary), and gutting him like the treacherous fish that he was.

I also loved sending a wizard to the first little corner near the starting area, being patient, and blowing him up at a distance in his lair (due to an oversight of design).

Medivh%27s_death_in_Warcraft_I.jpg

Anyone whoever played Warcraft 1, I am sure will also remember the seriousness of the game and the darkness of that world that needed to be overcome.

They will also remember the funny stuff, like chasing down Blackhand's daughter Griselda into a cave of Ogres, because she was a floozy.

Later, I appreciated that mission even more, not just for the silliness of the situation but also because I didn't know I was first being introduced to Westfall (my favorite region for so long).

42-1y32gz.png

What can one do but feel the GLORY and POWER that is rising to the position of King or Warlord?

warcraft-orcs-and-humans-human-campaign-map-end.jpg

Who remembers the great heroes of old as they were first written into canon/lore?

The fierce, strong, and resilient leader that was Anduin Lothar as he led his people on a diaspora to foreign lands?

Warcraft_I_-_Lothar.jpg
alothar1.jpg

I remember the feeling of joy and hope as the people of Azeroth (Stormwind later), getting strong again to push for the creation of the Alliance that finally brought the Horde to it's knees through many battles.

eee04987ac38457beef1a0852c623b89.png
tumblr_p6lq3vTpyb1tu022ro2_1280.jpg
1465475836-2749771097.jpg

I also remember the sadness of realizing that the great hero, Lothar was about to fall in battle, and for the most part there was nothing I could do about it.

Turalyon.jpg

What a ride the first two games were, and I definitely missed ship combat, that understandably fell out of use for a variety of reasons.

I will never forget those giant turtles that were the absolute TERROR of the seas.

Highseas.jpg

I of course absolutely fell in love with Warcraft 3, and love what they did with the continuity of the characters therein.

Seeing Uther the Lightbringer from 2 come back and be basically Obi Wan was a treat.

I won't go into great details on 3, because so much of it I love that it is hard to narrow down all the best moments, outside of the story of love and betrayal that was Arthas.

A fallen king that leads his people of the damned, and who consistently attempted to defy the odds.

If I had to pick a small moment that I enjoyed Warcraft 3, it was actually very early on, and it was the very first time that the game showed me the peasants could be converted into MILITIA.

download.jpg

Finally, the little guy can make a difference beyond resource gathering (which is also important).

I could ramble on, but don't want this to be a just me thread, though I may have gotten slightly carried away.

To you the reader: what is your fondest memories of Warcraft?

It could be a game feature, a unit, a piece of lore, a building, the terrain, the old games, something in WOW, anything really...

Respectfully,

Krump

Status
Not open for further replies.