• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A idea for World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
A world editor to make maps.

Introduction

This would be very hard to make, because millions of people would make maps. Also, the data will sky rocket, so unless they buy a compressor that can make 1 map equal to .1 km data, the Mmorpg would be HUGE. I think PhP Jass would be needed to make these maps, and intense model making skill would be required.

Functions

The world editor for World of Warcraft could have every model created in the game, but operating them, and controlling there AI would be 10x harder than warcraft3 world editor. There would be a lot of functions that WoW Gm's use.

Putting it into the Game

But how are we going to put the maps into the game? After we make the map, we send it to a Blizzard Game Tester. If they approve it, the map would go straight to the WoW team, and they will put it on the game...sounds easy huh? I don't think so, unless they had a uber compactor, and a super computer to manage the flow of data, it would be impossible.

How to Get it

Since millions of people play the game, to get the WoW editor, you get this quest, a really hard quest. You have to get the heads of every main boss in every instance starting with BRD to Kara. After you turn in the quest, a GM will send you the program. It will make the millions turn to 100s of thousands...which is way less then 10 million. But to have this kind of program, you have to have a lot of gig storage, and I mean a lot. Since you would have to filter every map everyone makes, it would seem impossible. Again, compactors can come in handy, but those kind of compactors can cost millions, so not many people can make maps unless WoW lives till 2020 or so.

If all goes through

If this is all possible, where will we put it? After WotLK, they should make a huge chunk of land that is for our maps personally, and the AI computer will automaticly make more space everytime a map is posted down. Most people would want to make instance, so most places would have portals, and maby some small towns.

The Bad side and the Good side

Warcraft3 and mabey starcraft1 and 2 will die, thats the bad side, no one would wan't to make maps anymore if all of the things I said above were cheap, and true. Good side is that everyone would love it, and blizzard would make a lot of money.

Overall, this would be the best program in the Mmorpg world.

What do you guys think?

Level 24
Well I don't really see how it would work, I mean for an RPG like Oblivion or something, making mods for it it keeps in interesting, and you don't have to download mods if you don't want to. With WoW though, I don't see how it could work with a MMORPG like WoW. I mean if there was an editor for WoW, just imagine how much stuff would be created, most of it not being made well or fun in the slightest way.

Level 10
just imagine how much stuff would be created, most of it not being made well or fun in the slightest way.

But a lot of the others would be fun if people knew how to use it. Like I said, it would be a nice idea for the future when technology advances.

Level 21
nice idea but it would just fail. first of it wouldnt work in wow unless some sort of teleporter to another planet was made, second off it would be impossible at this current time to implement for reasons you mentioned and by the time something like this would be implemented wow will be dead, also most of the maps submitted would suck or be unbalanced which would waste alot of time. it might be possible to do dungeons/instances/raids, but not whole areas.

Level 10
nice idea but it would just fail. first of it wouldnt work in wow unless some sort of teleporter to another planet was made, second off it would be impossible at this current time to implement for reasons you mentioned and by the time something like this would be implemented wow will be dead, also most of the maps submitted would suck or be unbalanced which would waste alot of time. it might be possible to do dungeons/instances/raids, but not whole areas.

True that, the possibility is pretty low, but if Blizzard still lives through, they might make a better Mmorpg then WoW. Which will have a world editor.

Level 10
I also just think it would be lame.

Just imagine, a person makes a good map...And the first boss is huge, you actually have to run on his arms to his face while dodging incoming objects. Triggers would be huge if there were pro WoW world editor users.

Level 11
Just imagine, a person makes a good map...And the first boss is huge, you actually have to run on his arms to his face while dodging incoming objects. Triggers would be huge if there were pro WoW world editor users.

I think that the Sargeras fight (When Warcraft comes to a close a few years from now) Will probably work like that, I would think it could be a server-wide raid too since he is in fact a titan. =/

Level 9
It's a silly idea, for a billion reasons. You need to do an impossible quest to get the editor? Few of these people will want to make maps that play enough to do it.

A "chunk" of land for maps? I won't even bother to explain why that is impossible.

The Bad side and the Good side

Warcraft3 and mabey starcraft1 and 2 will die, thats the bad side, no one would wan't to make maps anymore if all of the things I said above were cheap, and true. Good side is that everyone would love it, and blizzard would make a lot of money.

Uh huh. And what about those people that like RTS games but not MMORPGs? Not to mention not paying 20 buckers a month? And about everyone loving it? Blizzard has been working on WoW for a few years now, and they've yet to come up with a feature everyone loves.

Overall, this would be the best program in the Mmorpg world.

It sure sounds like it.

Level 10
It's a silly idea, for a billion reasons. You need to do an impossible quest to get the editor? Few of these people will want to make maps that play enough to do it.

A "chunk" of land for maps? I won't even bother to explain why that is impossible.

Well, the impossible quest was a idea, because who would want millions of people making map that sucks.

"chunk" is a expression, did you read everything?

Uh huh. And what about those people that like RTS games but not MMORPGs? Not to mention not paying 20 buckers a month? And about everyone loving it? Blizzard has been working on WoW for a few years now, and they've yet to come up with a feature everyone loves.

I can agree with you that they are not following the lore anymore, after WotLK, I think they will go free style, and make people up. If they still contine to add the lore, it would be the future, or way past.

It sure sounds like it.

It would, like I said a few posts up, anyone would love the feeling of jumping on a monsters arm, going to its face while dodging objects. It would be a extreme upgrade for Mmorpgs.

Level 27
PLEASE!!!! I almost cried when there was no Northrend in the original WoW.. i almost cried when the draenei who actually where befriend with parts of the horde (Who helped them) turned out to be alliance! and now finaly blizzard is making me a little more happy with Wotlk!! and you want to fuck up everything again? DONT MAKE WOW MODS BECAUSE THE LORE IS ALREADY FUCKED UP!!

Level 10
Hmmm I smell a rat.

1.This topic was dead for weeks no need to revise it.
2. imo, that was flammitory
3. You made me post and so you trolled.

This topic was dead, keep it dead please.

Level 36
Well I don't really see how it would work, I mean for an RPG like Oblivion or something, making mods for it it keeps in interesting, and you don't have to download mods if you don't want to. With WoW though, I don't see how it could work with a MMORPG like WoW. I mean if there was an editor for WoW, just imagine how much stuff would be created, most of it not being made well or fun in the slightest way.

"Personal" servers. Solo gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.