• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Miscellanous / Other] A Hack-and-Slash game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
So I am currently working on a keyboard-controlled single player game with hack n' slash gameplay heavily inspired from the DMC franchise. The map is still in the testing stage, I just want to know your thoughts from the preview that I have provided in the link given.
No Jass Scripts are involved in this map since IDK how to apply it yet so gameplay looks clunky and buggy but all triggers are self made.
-Enemy behaviors are still not met and will be updated (i.e. demons and bosses).
-Combat mechanics still needs to be fixed

Features
*Game features two protagonists with the first one being a brawler and the second one a swordswoman which switches after certain missions are met.
*Event puzzles to progress through the game
*Lock-on system
*Variety of combos to perform by connecting a sequence of attack-strings

Playthroughs

Early Development Stages - 01/21/19

Akane Playable Character Test A - 04/05/19
Video Note: It's been almost 3 months since the initial post for the map preview and I almost forgot about this project that I've been doing.
Nevertheless I managed to get back to it~
Animating was not entirely hard as long as I have key references and then it is good to go. I only managed to get the first combo strings/animations so this is what I've done for now~
I WILL continue on this work. The real Hack n' Slash begins~

Akane Playable Character Test B - 04/06/19
Video Note:I haven't worked on the map layout and storyline yet so I have substituted Aera for Akane in this chapter.
There is still a lot of noticeable bugs in the video but I will tend to fix that and I forgot to add on-hit damage towards Death Sabbath because basically the boss is a ground unit and the aerial attacks does not recognize Death Sabbath as a flying unit(see 5:48). Well, crap is crap but I finally managed to get Akane's gameplay mechanics to work~

Visuals and Effects are still not met and may be updated

OFFICIAL PLAYABLE DEMO AVAILABLE BELOW
Official Demo Updated Contents
  • Character Hit and KnockBack System - Taking damage from enemies interrupts/cancels your movements and attacks and sustaining multiple damage within a time-frame, taking damage mid-air, or taking heavy damage causes your character to tumble backwards/knocked back but has a short-time shield that prevents you from taking damage while recovering from the knockback.

• Energy System - Some of the attacks and skills now costs energy/mana to execute(for anti-spamming reasons). Energy don't regenerate but can be gained when successfully hitting enemies.

• Resurrection System - Gather Yellow Essences around the map to gain Resurrection. When taking lethal damage, restores your character to top-condition.

• Dash and Draw - Aera no longer has the Shunpo ability but has the dash and draw ability; able to dash forward and backwards

• Akane - Play as Akane; the Maiden of the Storm, after completing Chapter 3.

• Boss Death Sabbath Nerf - Healthpool decreased from 15000 to 10000 and overall damage output reduced to 50%

Last edited:
Level 5
Holy moly :D Dude, that's bloody amazing. It not my usual kind of map, nor are the games of that kind. But I'm really amazed how well the combat actually works, and how cool the moves look. It's pretty pumped as soon as you enter the first courtyard, but only got into the cathedral cause I suck.
A few things which could be improved upon:
- I got blared out by Human music at the beginning of the map, which didn't seem fitting
- Probably make it a bit more clear that you have to enter the cathedral. Those objects have never really been that interactive, so it didn't feel quite as intuitive.
- Perhaps do something, so you can have a health bar above your head. I imagine it's not as simple as it might sound with a system like this, but it'd be really helpful.

Again, I really like it! Keep up the good work ;)

PS: Would have loved to see the trigger work which have gone into, but apparently they're not visible?

Level 3
Holy moly :D Dude, that's bloody amazing. It not my usual kind of map, nor are the games of that kind. But I'm really amazed how well the combat actually works, and how cool the moves look. It's pretty pumped as soon as you enter the first courtyard, but only got into the cathedral cause I suck.
A few things which could be improved upon:
- I got blared out by Human music at the beginning of the map, which didn't seem fitting
- Probably make it a bit more clear that you have to enter the cathedral. Those objects have never really been that interactive, so it didn't feel quite as intuitive.
- Perhaps do something, so you can have a health bar above your head. I imagine it's not as simple as it might sound with a system like this, but it'd be really helpful.

Again, I really like it! Keep up the good work ;)

PS: Would have loved to see the trigger work which have gone into, but apparently they're not visible?
Yeah... I really need to implement indications to where to go in this map. After all, the demo I distributed is still in the testing stages~
I muted my ingame music so I didn't managed to get rid of the human music so I'll get up to that~
And thanks for the health bar suggestion, I will try to do something about it~

I kind of protected the demo map so that's how the triggers are not visible~
I might unprotect it once I finished the map(?)

Level 11
Terrific and smooth battle system. Got to the boss but got killed since the lightning I guess was not meant to be dodgeable(?). The color usage for indication was a great idea, however.

1. Dialogue seemingly lack a sense of urgency for an invasion. The death scene in particular suffers from this. Yet, it might be how it sounded in my head. However, in general, I love the dialogue for making the character you are playing feel alive and gives that feeling that you are not alone despite it being a single player game.

2. While the battle system was smooth, it was too criminally easy except for the boss since you could just spam jump and knockback without getting a scratch. Maybe some kind of energy system could be added to make people less likely to spam the same attacks over and over.

Level 3
Terrific and smooth battle system. Got to the boss but got killed since the lightning I guess was not meant to be dodgeable(?). The color usage for indication was a great idea, however.

1. Dialogue seemingly lack a sense of urgency for an invasion. The death scene in particular suffers from this. Yet, it might be how it sounded in my head. However, in general, I love the dialogue for making the character you are playing feel alive and gives that feeling that you are not alone despite it being a single player game.

2. While the battle system was smooth, it was too criminally easy except for the boss since you could just spam jump and knockback without getting a scratch. Maybe some kind of energy system could be added to make people less likely to spam the same attacks over and over.
Yeah... It is not yet stated in the first chapter that the church is an abandoned ruins and the invasion happened a decade ago until chapter/mission 2. Yeah... the dialogues are still lackluster but I'll rewrite everything irrelevant~

My friend who tried the demo too said that the dive-kick is OP and said to me that I have to do something about it and I managed to implement energy system just like you've stated above~

I'm currently working on the moveset of the swordswoman then after that, I'll continue on the map design and I'll try to make some texture changes just to make the church is convincing enough to be abandoned for more than a decade lol

Level 39
If it's possible to overwrite the spell cast click sound by importing a sound file I would do that. Spamming the attack buttons as you are wont to do in a hack-n-slash makes the clicks happen repeatedly and kind of takes away from the game atmosphere.

Level 5
If it's possible to overwrite the spell cast click sound by importing a sound file I would do that. Spamming the attack buttons as you are wont to do in a hack-n-slash makes the clicks happen repeatedly and kind of takes away from the game atmosphere.

That should actually be pretty simple - did that for my own map, since it relies on "button spamming" as well :) I believe somone posted an "empty" sound file somewhere, which can be used.

Level 5
I just recently managed it, found the soundfile in the sound editor tab and replaced it with a soundless wav file

Cheers! I was kind happy to find out that you can actually do that - opens up for quite some detail adjustments

Level 5
Very creative and interesting warcraft mod, perhaps you could look into the game Wizard of Legend, to see what kind of spells or stuff u can add. The game is interesting because it has alot of fancy spells. Perhaps u could think of a magic kinda skillset as well?

Also the wizard of legend game has creep and boss attack movesets you can kinda copy/get inspiration from. Please do look at it and i hope this helps you!

Last edited:
Level 3
I have an Idea for a Guarding/Parrying and Counter-Attack system. This trigger makes you invulnerable within a timeframe without acquiring the invulnerability ability and at the same time you are still targetable and can't be ignored by enemies. So this is how it goes...

I haven't implemented this in the map so it is still an Idea that I might try to add later...

Variables:
PlayerCharacter (Declared on an existing unit in a map)
ParryTimeFrame (Real)
ParryBlock (Integer)
ParryDamage (Real)

Trigger - Guard/Parry Cast
Events:
Casts an ability

Conditions:
Ability being cast equal to Parry/Guard

Actions:
Pause PlayerCharacter
ParryTimeFrame = 0.00
ParryBlock = 1
Turn on Parry Hit & Parry Time Frame(Triggers)

Trigger - Parry Time frame
Events:
Every 0.10 seconds of gametime

Actions:
ParryTimeFrame = ParryTimeFrame+0.10
{If ParryTimeFrame = 1.00
then: ParryBlock = 0
Unpause PlayerCharacter
Turn off Parry Hit & this trigger
Else: If ParryTimeFrame = 0.50
then: ParryBlock = 2}

Trigger - Parry Hit
Events:
PlayerCharacter takes damage (Specific unit event)

Actions:
{If ParryBlock = 1
then: set life of PlayerCharacter to life of PlayerCharacter+Damage Taken
Else: If ParryBlock = 2
then: set life of PlayerCharacter to life of PlayerCharacter+(Damage Taken÷2)}
{If Parrydamage less than N(Parry Damage max damage output)
then: ParryDamage = ParryDamage+Damage Taken}

Trigger - Release (Main Idea for damage output trigger)
Events:
Casts an ability

Conditions:
Ability being cast equal to Release
Actions:
Pick every unit within N range at position of PlayerCharacter and do actions
{If picked unit equal to picked unit belongs to an enemy of owner of PlayerCharacter equal to true
then: Cause PlayerCharacter to damage picked unit dealing ParryDamage
ParryDamage = 0

Last edited:
Level 3
Very creative and interesting warcraft mod, perhaps you could look into the game Wizard of Legend, to see what kind of spells or stuff u can add. The game is interesting because it has alot of fancy spells. Perhaps u could think of a magic kinda skillset as well?

Also the wizard of legend game has creep and boss attack movesets you can kinda copy/get inspiration from. Please do look at it and i hope this helps you!
Thanks and Good suggestions! I might take thorough observations of it later~

Status
Not open for further replies.