• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Third Age 2.7

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: Mitchomitch
This map was created by NWG_Jonas & NWG_Lucas, they did the basic layout of terrain, did the triggers, units and spells, I (XX_Noob) have taken this map up and started updating it, with redoing terrain, balancing units and spells, fixed a few triggers, added new events and im slowly making new spells for every hero in the game.

Good
Gondor
Rohan
Elves
Fellowship
Shire
Dol Amroth

Evil
Isengard
Umbar
Moria & Easterlings
Haradrim
Nazguls
Mordor

Changes for 2.6 Gave Lurtz, Ugluk, Beregond, Galadriel & Thranduil a whole new set of spells, fixed a few bugs, more balancing.
Changes for 2.6.1 Fixed the share on leave trigger.
Changes for 2.6.2 Fixed cirdans fatal wave spell *removed* his being redone in 2.7, added forum links and nazgul model, by olofmoleman.
Changes for 2.7 Added spells to Haldir, Cirdan, Grima and Elrond, fixed some bugged spells, added a new base for elves, which they get 12 minutes ingame, fixed several bugs spotted in the public test.

Keywords:
The, Third, Age, Lotr, Lord of the Rings, Lord of the Ring, The Third, Third Age, The Third Age, Lotr The Third Age, Lotr: The Third Age
Contents

The Third Age 2.7 (Map)

Reviews
15:18, 2nd May 2009 by bounty hunter2: Send me proof that you could edit the original map, then I'l set it back to pending, until then its Rejected.

M

15:18, 2nd May 2009 by bounty hunter2:
Send me proof that you could edit the original map, then I'l set it back to pending, until then its Rejected.

Level 6
Hello, try this map if you got time, read the disception above, if you have any bugs or anything, please post them here and i will see that they are fixed to the next version.

Also before commenting the balance, make sure that there havent been to many leavers, that can screw the balance pretty badly, depending on which race it is.

Otherwise, have fun.

Level 4
Hey dude i will DL it right now and get back with my review =]
btw plz have patience not everyone will dl ur map in 2 seconds and get back and approved just have patience dude

{EDIT}
I have just finished playing by myself just looking over the map and the first thing that came to mind was that you did a very good job on the terrain, you look like you took your time and that this could be a good map. As I started to play I noticed it did look good you did a good job getting all the characters in, now In my opinion I dont like how you have to get merry or pipin to get the ents. However you want it to be is fine though. The MAIN thing that came to my mind though was the spawns? they dont seem to be big and brown has a considerable large army at the begining compared to red. The spawning at the bases should of been bigger and I dont understand how you lvl up the castles except rebuilding osgilath. Please make it clear in your map so people will understand. Great job in my opinion but make it so you mabey build castles??? For example: I have 3 different main bases I can chose to build 1 castle at any base i have 5000 would and it costs 4000 to build a castle. Now heres the twist whereever you build your castle you get a larger spawn, and when you are done your castle you get your money back. That is one of the ways people do it and it is one of my favorites. Depending on where you build your castle the spawn will be different as well. These are some of the ways you may want to improve it. Overall Well DONE!
-Terrain- (10/10) Epic job your terrain is how I would of done it
-Gameplay- (7/10) please make the spawns different and make it clear how to upgrade your bases, but the 7 points totally how well done it is with the characters *and by the way one of the elven bases i cant remember had the lvl thing but no other bases did*
-Idea- (7/10) like many LOTR maps but you could make this a good one with some ideas i gave you
-Overall- 24/30, but lets add some points lol 26/30 is a great map and can be enjoyable when adding cool units mabey some interesting twists. It is all up to you and how you make your map. I wish you luck and hope this helped!

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 6
Thanks m8, and with the spawn system, i know its pretty basic, but building castles is almost more basic, plus i awlays forget to build castles in games like that :D

And the i think your right, i should perhaps make a text in how you get better spawns, the gameplay and so.

Larger bases is a maybe, some are quite large, while others are very small, but small bases have the best defenses useally, because of narrow entrances, and for a player like yellow its very useful having small bases, for the reason that he is weak at the start.

But i have yet to get a game full of people who understand what to do, and before i can get that, i cant solve the balance problems (yes there must be some).

You spotted no bugs :D? glad to hear that.

Level 4
Lol i cant believe i actually made a mistake in that review, well only one and a easy fix when i said castles? I actually meant when you make a *barracks* and it is sitting right next to the castle lol mabey that. Man.....but now that i think of it i am GENIUs lol ya make *addons to the castle mabey? hmmmm you should try it I am glad your doing good

Level 6
Mm, i might get you idea now, but it will be hell of a lot of work, i think i just say you have the possiblity to build a castle/barrack whatever it no is, and then one base upgrade, but you can only build one castle/barrack.

Level 3
One of the good LotR-maps! Well done job on terrain. As Mr. Wafflez said beginners could be confused because its not directly clear how to upgrade bases. But gameplay is really nice and funny to play multiplayer. I also played it single-player for testing issues and there was no lag for me. I also didn't find a bug. I just give ya 5/5. Keep updating your great work!

Level 35
As a general rule of policy and opinion, I dislike these style of maps. The whole spawning style of gameplay encourages players to just sit back and mass up units till they feel they have enough. Basically, there's no real incentive to create action. With that said, I'm going to look at what you've done.

What you have done, in my general rule of policy and opinion, is rather nice indeed. You have proven you don't need lots and lots of imports to make a good map, you have some interesting abilities (I like the Precision ability! How'd you do that one? I love it!) and have created a nice terrain to play on.

Unfortunately, there are a few mishaps. For example, the Spider Pass building has Slow, which costs 50 mana. The building has no mana :(. Shame, really. On the plus side, your tooltips are really, really awesome! They give each unit a feeling of professionalism (if, indeed, that is a real word. Even if it isn't, I hope you still get the point :p) and makes the player feel very comfortable about reading the tooltips. To me, it really ruins a map when someone decides to make awkward tooltips such as 'This unit could be called imba xD' or 'Players will call you a faggot for getting this'. Nice job in that department!

Well, for me, there's only the gameplay factor that stops me from wanting to play this map (sorry, but spawning RTSes are really sucky to me! At least you know why :p). I think that if you were to go on to include more imports to get an overall better look (like some new models for the Goblins :p. The Ghoul can work, but requires a very open mind and a lot of imagination to fully accept it :p). Overall, nice job, and I definitely reccomend this map to any who like the spawning style RTSes. I give this 3.5/5, as I do reccomend it, but it's still somewhat borderline useful.

If you do go on to recreate this map, perhaps (and this is just a suggestion) you could create a wider variety of units and make it so that players have to research different units in order to start spawning them. Just an idea, but perhaps worth a look? Anyway, good job!

Level 6
Lol, no discription? how did that happen, i had it yesterday, anyhow i will add one.

@ProfessorZmurge
And about changelog... i hate doing them, i post a few changes but not a whole log.

@Wazzz
Thanks for atleast trying it out, and thanks for the slow bug thing.

And thanks to everyone who commented the map :)

Level 17
This is my review of The Third Age 2.7

Pros:
-Good use of items canon to Tolkien lore.
-Overall, the terrain was done well.
-Amazing and accurate number of units, heroes, and events
-Next to infinite number of strategies.
-Great replayability, very rarely will a game play identical to the previous one. Take it from me, this map will keep you entertained for ages.

Cons:
-Small cosmetic problems. Includes things such as the peon having an abnormally large shadow, and Saruman having a Blood Mage icon.
-How do naga fit in with LotR?
-A few doodads in Moria were oddly placed.
-Sauron regaining the ring lacked the same cinematic feel I felt approaching.

Rating: 3.5 and recommended for approval.

Level 3
Meh il take my time to judge it aswell (as i made the map its abit of self critic aswell lawl)

PROS
-Terrain is made so there is alot of tactical choses made for evil.
-Fast Gameplay
-Replayabbilitey (=)

CONS
-The Terrain aint that tactical for good side tougth
-There is to much units for the WarCraft 3 engine to handel
-Spells Orgininality Suffers alot
-Overall units/heroes/bases are not as polished and balanced as games like rw/bfme's bases/units/heroes has been made over years of tweaking
-Hard to Macro units in battle in certain places, also certain units are to small to be macro'ed/micro'ed
-The Gameplay aint that fast afterall, since base aiming is quite hard and the map quite big, it can take hours before game ends...

2.5/5 - Okay,lacks some orginality and aint as fast as it first seems, The terrain is very good made for evil overall since they get alot of options to do but good gets less.

also as i already said i approve xx_noob as current maker