• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

(6)Jungle Troll Fever - Jungle Trolls v0.3 (Classic)

Jungle Trolls
Version 0.3

for Latest version (currently 1.32.2)

=Part of my PROJECT_NAME_HERE=

race-lineup-troll-alpha-jpg.360616

by Kyrbi0 & Cosmicat

(With extensive help (coding, testing, etc) from MichaelPeppers & ArchmageOwenalacaster)

In order to play as the Jungle Trolls, select "Orc" & "90%" HP Handicap.

Welcome to Version Zero of my long-awaited custom Jungle Troll race. To be clear, this is not the fully-realized Final Version; you can think of this as merely... a Tribute. Sufficiently finished to be "complete" & playable, but pretty far removed (at this point) from all the stuff I have planned for the Final Version.

Enjoy (Classic-mode only)!

===
===
===
Introduction

The wily Jungle Trolls of the southern Stranglethorn jungles are a vicious and cunning group. Hunkered in the shadows of their former world-spanning empire, the vigorous Gurubashi blood still pumps through their veins. Fiercely xenophobic and territorial of their ancient lands, the Jungle Trolls field powerful voodoo magicks and guerilla tactics, honed by millennia of inter-tribal conflict. Jungle Trolls can be barbaric in their defense of home & tribe; mutilation, cannibalism, and ritualistic sacrifices are not uncommon. With their vaunted regeneration and mysterious rituals, the Jungle Trolls maintain the sanctity of their ancestral home with ferocity and guile.

Now, with a headstrong young Warbringer at the helm, the Jungle Trolls are poised to bring a new era of conquest to Stranglethorn Vale... And beyond.

hero-lineup-png.360615

Racial Identity
The Tribesmen are a loose affiliation of Troll tribes and vicious jungle beasts. They focus on guerrilla tactics, with enhanced mobility and both ranged and magical superiority. Many of their abilities take advantage of the dead and of spirits, so every death can bolster the Troll army.

Advantages
  • Stealth and Mobility
Troll infantry units & one hero (“Viper Priestess”)) have the Crawl ability. Crawl can be toggled to render them permanently invisible but removes their ability to attack and reduces their move speed. Crawl can be researched at the Grisly Message (The worker does not require the research).​
  • Racial Regeneration
All Troll units have enhanced health regeneration innately; higher than any other races’ aside from Undead on Blight. This helps to compensate for the sparse Healing spells among the Trolls.​
  • Magical Prowess
Trolls rely heavily on spells and Wards to accomplish their powerful magicks; the Poison Cask launches toxins at nearby enemies, the Null Ward cancels all magical activity in the area, and the Grim Ward summons a skeletal army. However, this can leave them vulnerable to anti-magic.​
  • Defense Towers
The basic Troll tower (the Sentry Post) can be upgraded in one of two ways: either to the offensive Tiki Tower with a ranged magical attack, or to the Jungle, a defensive building which can garrison units, slow down enemies, and summon a Swarm of Bees to defend itself.​
  • The Tiki Warriors, with Spell Immunity and the Sacred Staff ability, are very good at killing Heroes.
  • Vampire Bats are especially adept at swarming and taking down large enemy flyers; the Feeding Frenzy upgrade increases their damage based on the number of nearby attacking Vampire Bats.
  • The Warbringer is a powerful support Hero who can lead armies & destroy enemies.

===
JUNGLE TROLLS v0 - Credits
(ripped from the map & edited)
===

BY AUTHOR

BY RESOURCE

Kyrbi0
- Lead Creator
- Original Concepts
- Primary "Coder"
- Designer/Implementer

Cosmicat

- Follow-Up Implementer
- Coder
- Tester
- Original 'Releaser'

===
===

Alexander244 (code)

- Medicine Mon: Wall of Zombies

AnemicRoyalty

- Headshrinker: Skin
- Combat Upgrades: Icons ("Axe_1/2/3", "Voodoo Sigil_1/2/3")

Anitarf

- ABuff library
- SpellEvent library

Archmage Owenalacaster

- Custom Race System

Blizzard
- Some Models & Most Icons Not Otherwise Credited, having been Edited by Kyrbi0

Cavman

- Marauder: Model (Mount)

Cosmicat (code)

- Medicine Mon: Convalescent Curse, Wall of Zombies fix
- Headshrinker: Bewilder, Shrink fix
- Viper Priestess: Mark of the Viper, Mesmerize, Aspect of Hethiss
- Ravager: Kukri Toss

Deepstrasz

- Viper Priestess: Icon
- Jungle Dartmon: Icon

Deolrin

- Grisly Message: Icon, Model (edits)
- Lurid Warning: Icon, Model (edits)
- Gruesome Testament: Icon, Model (edits)
- Altar of Blood: Icon, Model
- Training Log: Model
- Jungle Bungalow: Model

[Ð]

- Groundling: Model
- Dartmon: Model

Falcoknight

- Ravager: Model, Skin

GreyArchon

- Vampire Bat: Model

Jigrael

- Headshrinker: Model, Animation, Icon
- Viper Priestess: Model, Skin, Animation
- Ravager: Icon, Model, Skin

Juice_F

- Warbringer: Skin

Levigeorge1716

- Marauder: Icon, Model (Troll)

Metal_Sonic64

- Hexxer: Model (Troll)

Michael Peppers (code)

- Jungle Troll AI
- Viper Priestess: Serpent Steel

Norinrad

- Warbringer: Model

Ominous Horizons

- Headshrinker: Base 3dsMax Model

Tales of Raviganion (Rightfield)

- Tiki Warrior: Icon, Model
- Grisly Message: Model & Custom Textures
- Lurid Warning: Model & Custom Textures
- Gruesome Testament: Model & Custom Textures

Tijil

- Basilisk: Icon, Model

Vexorian

- Table library
- TimerUtils library

===
===

Testers

- Alevice
- Anopob
- Archmage Owenalacaster
- Cosmicat
- Michael Peppers

Special Thanks

- Tim.
- Vexorian
- Rising_Dusk
- Michael Peppers
- Alevice
- Anopob
- Archmage Owenalacaster
- Deolrin
- RenegadeMushroom
- [Ð]

===Systems & Libraries===
Custom Race SystemArchmage Owenalacaster

ABuff Library, SpellEvent Library
Anitarf

Jungle Troll AI
Michael Peppers

Table Library, TimerUtils Library
Vexorian

===Spells & Coding===
Convalescent Curse,
Wall of Zombies (edits),
Bewilder,
Shrink (edits),
Mark of the Viper,
Mesmerize,
Aspect of Hethiss,
Kukri Toss
Cosmicat

Serpent Steel
Michael Peppers

Wall of Zombies
Alexander244

===Models, Textures, Icons, Etc===
Grisly Message
-> Lurid Warning
--> Gruesome Testament
Rightfield (original model); Deolrin (edits)

Groundling
[Ð] (model)

Altar of Blood
Deolrin (model, icon)

Warbringer
Norinrad (model); Juice_F (texture)

Headshrinker
OH (3dsmax Mesh); Jigrael (model, anims, icon); A.R. (texture)

Python Warrioress
Jigrael (model, texture, anims), Deepstrasz (icon)

Training Log
Deolrin (model)

Ravager
Jigrael (model, anims, icon); Falcoknight (texture)

Marauder
levigeorge1716 (icon, model (Troll)); Cavman (model (Raptor))

Vampire Bat
GreyArchon (model)

Basilisk
Tijil (model)

Hexxer
MetalSonic64 (model (Troll))

Tiki Warrior
TToR (model)

Jungle Bungalow
Deolrin (model)

Jungle Dartmon
[Ð] (model), Deepstrasz (icon)

(Keen->Honed-->Wicked) Blades
(Boundbark->Splitbark-->Barkplate) Armor
A.R. (icons)

SCREENSHOTS
(see below)

CHANGELOG

v0.0
2020.08.15Original upload

v0.1
2020.?.?Official upload, fixed Credits, added Troll AI (thanks MichaelPeppers)

v0.2
2020.?.?Partially finished with changes suggested by Reviewer

v0.3
2020.09.05Finished suggested changes; reworked Aspect of Hethiss, removed the whole "Boar" thing & took care of all (?) the game-breaking stuff xD

---
2020.09.14Edited description
Contents

Jungle Troll Fever - Reforged - v0.3 (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Oh, no, please. My scribbles aren't worth crediting. Though, almost shed a tear when I saw them ingame. Echolocation should look passive. Feeding Frenzy needs a better description. OK, it changed after attacking to what it should be. That Basilisk...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Adapted for 1.31 with Map Adapter Some bugs might be because of this.

1. Generally you should find replacements for original races icons and models for custom stuff.
  2. Boar Breeding and Domestication should have different icons. Also, Boar Breeding looks active. You can simply make it look passive with: Button Manager v1.8.2
  3. Poison Cask doesn't seem to do anything.
  4. Stranglethorn Darts says 0 enemies. The icon also has no DISBTN (looks like a green square on F10/game pause). The Button Manager linked above can make such an icon.
  5. Blur Brew has a different icon after being researched. The buff has the Clarity Potion icon.
  6. Hexxer has a spider linked to its origin. The troll has walk animations but the spider is just an unanimated effect.
  7. No boars appear out of the Boar Hut.
  8. Advanced Boar Breeding could use a different icon as upgrades have.
  9. Jungle Dartmon's icon is unfitting.
  10. Got a crash trying to use the Doc's last spell.
  11. The upgrades in the Hunting Lodge are not properly placed. Feeding Frenzy for instance is on the spot where the Cancel icon will appear and will be moved to the left by this appearing icon.
  12. Laceration doesn't work.
  13. Null Ward has a Voidwalker model FX on it.
  14. Myotoxin doesn't paralyze but just heavily slow. You'd do better making an Entangling Roots spell trigger.
  15. Bombatiers seem like imbalanced troops. Siege Damage, high range and speed bonus without even requiring mana.
  16. The Vampire Bat is invisible; probably a texture issue due to patch version difference.
  17. Tracking doesn't seem to work, at least on neutral hostile units.
Waiting for author's comments.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Thanks for reviewing my babies. : )

I started to work on your suggestions & response, but I got halfway through before realizing I was fixing an older, non-working version. xD

Soooooo I put that on hold. Then I figured I owed you a response so you didn't think I was ignoring you. I will double-post when done. : )

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Alright, finally getting around to finishing this:

First of all, I just want to be clear: I'm perfectly fine with this being sent off to Substandard. Not only because it's not The Best Work I've put out, but also because I'm only really willing to make so many changes to it (after all, the Real Deal is still in the pipeline; any time I spend updating this 9-year-old map I can't spend Actually Finishing!). Especially aesthetic stuff; I have no plans to make custom assets for something I've already replaced. Just wanted to be upfront about that.

So! On to the review & my responses:
===
1. Generally you should find replacements for original races icons and models for custom stuff.
Generally, sure. But this is the best I could do in 2011, and as mentioned aesthetic stuff just isn't a big priority right now (if it's even possible; do you know of a spider-riding Troll shaman on the Hive? :) ).

2. Boar Breeding and Domestication should have different icons. Also, Boar Breeding looks active. You can simply make it look passive with: Button Manager v1.8.2
8. Advanced Boar Breeding could use a different icon as upgrades have.
Fixed both of these.

3. Poison Cask doesn't seem to do anything.
Another "missing data field" (see #10 below); not sure why this didn't crash the game like the other two, though... Fixed.

4. Stranglethorn Darts says 0 enemies. The icon also has no DISBTN (looks like a green square on F10/game pause). The Button Manager linked above can make such an icon.

5. Blur Brew has a different icon after being researched. The buff has the Clarity Potion icon.
Whoops. Fixed these.

6. Hexxer has a spider linked to its origin. The troll has walk animations but the spider is just an unanimated effect.
Yep. It's silly but gets the job done in lieu of an actual model.

7. No boars appear out of the Boar Hut.
They do, it's just once every 4 minutes without upgrades. (I tested by setting it to 1 second & the screen was filled with Boars). Though to be honest, I'm giving that whole mechanic some serious thought...

9. Jungle Dartmon's icon is unfitting.
Well, it's the Berserker; while already being used by the Horde, it fits well enough (his face is wrapped with the Berserker.blp IIRC), and there really aren't any other good Jungle Troll icons.

10. Got a crash trying to use the Doc's last spell.
Holy cow, not again! I don't know what happened in the transition to Reforged, but both of my "ward" spells ended up with a missing "summoned unit" data field, resulting in crashes! WhiteWolf8 helped me find the Null Ward one... Alright, got that Fixed.

11. The upgrades in the Hunting Lodge are not properly placed. Feeding Frenzy for instance is on the spot where the Cancel icon will appear and will be moved to the left by this appearing icon.
I'm not sure if something changed with your "Map Adaptor", but it's @ (X,Y) of (2,2), keeping it out of the "Cancel" slot of (3,2). I also checked this in-game; everything works, so Fixed?

12. Laceration doesn't work.
17. Tracking doesn't seem to work, at least on neutral hostile units.
OK so I'm getting some game-crashing bugs trying to mess with that... I'm gonna work some more on that & get back to you.

13. Null Ward has a Voidwalker model FX on it.
Yep. : )

14. Myotoxin doesn't paralyze but just heavily slow. You'd do better making an Entangling Roots spell trigger.
It's intended not to "fully paralyze" but to heavily slow (which is consistent with one of the dictionary definitions). I have Fixed the tooltip to be more explicit about that, though.

15. Bombatiers seem like imbalanced troops. Siege Damage, high range and speed bonus without even requiring mana.
The idea with them was to modify the standard Batrider & sorta mimic the Zerg Guardian from Starcraft. Also, Swoop effectively disables their attack for the duration. Balance would have to be determined by play-testing.

16. The Vampire Bat is invisible; probably a texture issue due to patch version difference.
Might just be something up with your Adaptor again; Vampire Bat is definitely visible. (Not even sure what's up, since it has no custom texture).

===
Thanks again for your review.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
First of all, I just want to be clear: I'm perfectly fine with this being sent off to Substandard. Not only because it's not The Best Work I've put out, but also because I'm only really willing to make so many changes to it (after all, the Real Deal is still in the pipeline; any time I spend updating this 9-year-old map I can't spend Actually Finishing!). Especially aesthetic stuff; I have no plans to make custom assets for something I've already replaced. Just wanted to be upfront about that.
The important thing for this is for it to work, not look that different. While I mention visual stuff for polishing, it's not a priority or always necessary for approval.
Yep. It's silly but gets the job done in lieu of an actual model.
I guess it would be an easy model edit. I'll see if I can do something. If not, someone will surely be able to do it in Requests
They do, it's just once every 4 minutes without upgrades. (I tested by setting it to 1 second & the screen was filled with Boars). Though to be honest, I'm giving that whole mechanic some serious thought...
Weird. Could have been an adapter error. I played around 20 mins and nada, compadre.
Well, it's the Berserker; while already being used by the Horde, it fits well enough (his face is wrapped with the Berserker.blp IIRC), and there really aren't any other good Jungle Troll icons.
Simple to do. Just use Magos' or Retera's model editors and then BLPLab and the Button Manager. Maybe I'll give it a shot, who knows :D I need the model and its textures though. The map doesn't load in the editor after adapting. Same for the other models I mentioned that could be edited.
Tell me some details on what you've imagined and I could try some ward model tweaking meself.
It's intended not to "fully paralyze" but to heavily slow (which is consistent with one of the https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/paralyze]dictionary definitions[/url]). I have Fixed the tooltip to be more explicit about that, though.
Well, that link doesn't work and searching by myself didn't bring anything to light. However:
paralysis - Wiktionary

EDIT:
Back with some more feedback.

1. Distort could use a passive looking icon.
  2. Shrink has two (R) in its title.
  3. The Headshrinker doesn't seem to have a projectile. Also, its walk speed is slow. Kind of dangerous.
  4. Medicine Mon needs a proper icon: BTNShadowHunterBeta
  5. Augury has an ability or something that says tooltip missing and it has the Samwise icon.
  6. Grim Ward's spawn rate seems to be a bit too much.
  7. Serpent Steel should look passive.
  8. Maybe you could find replacements for the usual Warcraft III icons for mucho naisu aisthetikos.
  9. Aspect of Hethiss isn't very impressive. It's a sort of Chemical Rage/Frenzy. Also it has double (R). It doesn't require mana and has a low cooldown.
  10. Actually all the troll hero ultimates have the double (R) in their title.
  11. Battle Charge=Scroll of Speed.
  12. Primal Aura=Command Aura.
  13. Flank doesn't work on sleeping units. Damage and stun is not dealt. Or do you necessarily need friendly units around for it to take effect?
  14. I think you uploaded a test version since now there are some units and buildings for player 1 somewhere near the map's center.
EDIT2:
Added some icons for some models/units.

Dartmon
dartmon01.png
dartmon02.png
dartmon03.png

Viper
viper01.png
viper02.png
viper03.png

Attachments

• DartmonIcons.zip
    21.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Viper.zip
    21.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Thanks for the further analysis & especially for the help getting custom icons. : )

If you don't mind, can you divide up your feedback into "Necessary for Approval" & "Necessary for Substandard Approval"? It's getting a bit intense & I wanna organize my time most effectively.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
If you don't mind, can you divide up your feedback into "Necessary for Approval" & "Necessary for Substandard Approval"? It's getting a bit intense & I wanna organize my time most effectively.
I would like you to fix the bugs, that's all. Have the abilities working. Those that don't, of course.
I don't want this in Substandard.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
(Double-Post Alert)
Alright, I've updated it all the way through. All the game-breaking abilities you've mentioned should be fixed; I've resolved stuff like Flank's non-working damage/stun & the Boar-Food thing by simply stripping them out (unnecessary anyway). Aspect of Hethiss is totally reformulated to actually matter (gives Divine Armor), and all the custom icons are in place (thanks again; you are part of the Credits now). I have no plans on fixing the "double hotkey" thing as it's Reforged's fault & as aforementioned, this is an Alpha build that doesn't matter anymore so I don't care how it looks for little stuff like that. ^_^ Oh, and here's the fixed link to the dictionary definition of "paralysis" that I intended to reference earlier: Definition of PARALYSIS (TL;DR Paralysis can be whole or in part, complete or partial - I've modified the Basilisk's Myotoxin ability to reference that)

Tell me some details on what you've imagined and I could try some ward model tweaking meself.
Not 100% sure yet... It's a spider-rider that casts it, so something with a spider-web design on top might be neat. Something purple-y & evil-looking, with a "sucking in" SFX (since it's draining all the magic in an area, effectively).

===

Let me know how that looks. Hopefully sufficient for (substandard) approval. : )

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
(thanks again; you are part of the Credits now).
Oh, no, please. My scribbles aren't worth crediting.
Though, almost shed a tear when I saw them ingame.

1. Echolocation should look passive.
  2. Feeding Frenzy needs a better description. OK, it changed after attacking to what it should be.
  3. That Basilisk :D It's so green it can go chameleon with the grass tile. It looks like a hue change. Needs a nice texture. Actually, the normal hue looks good. Did you make it more like the grass on purpose?
  4. Poison Cask is a green Goblin Mine with a Acid Bomb throw FX over it. I think it should only be that FX, no?
  5. Mana Spring has Spirit Touch :D They use undead magic, eh?
Aspect of Hethiss is totally reformulated to actually matter (gives Divine Armor),
The problem with Divine Armour is that it only takes damage from Chaos Attack Type. Imagine that for 60 seconds, the Viper is immortal but not invulnerable.

Approved.

(previous comments: (6)Jungle Troll Fever - Jungle Trolls v0.3 (Classic))

Writing what needs custom icons:
  • Vampire Bat
  • Training Log
  • Jungle Bungalow
  • Ritual Circle
EDIT: added the icons for the above mentioned.
jungle bungalowResized.png
ritual circleResized.png
training logResized.png
vampire batResized.png
They have icon borders, don't worry.
If you think they're useful, import them.

EDIT2: hey, what do you think about the Null Ward now? Check the video.
Left the team colour on the spider heads.
Model made from:
Web
webward
MonsterLure

Attachments

• BuildingsNBatIcons.zip
    26.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 2020-09-06 01-29-10.mp4
    33.7 MB · Views: 151
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
That's a pretty nifty Ward, and definitely good enough for this build. : )

I'm gonna put this on the To-Do list, but I'll be honest it's going on a far-back burner as I get back to work on the current Troll build. (If anyone wants to open this up & stick those icons/ward models in, I'd gladly re-upload & credit you).

Thanks again!