1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

3 archons or 1?

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by splashy5, Jun 16, 2008.

1. splashy5

splashy5

Resources:
    Resources:
    should there be 3 archons (Reg,Dark,Twilight)?

Dark Temp + Dark Temp = Dark Archon :grin:
    High Temp + High Temperlar = Archon :wink:
    Dark Archon + High Temperalr = Twilight? :thumbs_up:

2. Sion36

Sion36

Resources:
    Resources:
    What would the "Twilight" Archon even do?

3. Harbinger

Harbinger

Resources:
    Resources:
    yes i think it will be 3 archons...

4. Tyranid

Tyranid

Resources:
    Resources:
    At the current point it's:
    HT+HT=Archon
    DT+DT=Archon
    HT+DT=Archon

Twilight Archon got replaced with Archon. It's the same thing though, just lacks the Twilight in it's name.

5. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Feedback is endless fun.

Although it would be lulz if they made them Archon+Maelstrom, but I have a feeling that would throw balance out the window.

6. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    3 archons sound cool. But I dunno what unit they'd balance the other 2 races with.

7. Dreadnought[dA]

Dreadnought[dA]

Resources:
    Resources:
    3 archons would just be retarded. I thought having 2 was stupid lol.

Dark Archons were almost completely useless except against massed air...

Archons were really good though.

8. Arvedui

Arvedui

Resources:
    Resources:
    I like the idea of 3 different archons. They're pure win. I don't care what they'll balance it with.. protoss were always my favorite. Screw terran and zerg, pure strength is the way to go.

9. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Having one is original, having three would not be as much. Also, the current one is a nice hybrid.

Also, quit trying to find perfect counterparts, seriously. The best part of StarCraft is that it was balanced, and yet each race was totally unique.

10. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    I'd not be happy if they missed out the Dark Archon. I love that one because that dude had that mind control ability, which I always used to capture the enemy workers and then build a base of the enemy's race. But, yeah..no other races had the ability to capture enemy technology, and I'm quite sure that they'll miss out the Mind Control ability.

11. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Mind Control was balanced because taking another race was far too monetarily expensive, and the dent in your economy would lose you the game.

If you had enough money to sustain it and still fight as well as they did, you should've been able to kill them long before due to your huge economic advantage.

12. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    It's easy to win with the lurker+carrier+siege tank+photon cannon combination. It's an unbreakable defence, and combining carriers with ghost nukes and battlecruisers is the undefeatable offensive.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  13. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If you have enough time and money to tech all three races to the max, your opponent is, quite frankly, terrible.

Also, it's not hard to push tough defences like that. Your first one asks for a good old Guardian+Scourge or Ultraling+Dark Swarm combo (or Nukes+Tanks with Terran, or Disruption Web + Anything with Protoss), and your second asks for Scourges and Hydralisks/Mutalisks (or Nukes+Lockdown, or Wraiths, or Scouts+Arbiters).

And so on.

14. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    I don't really think they're so breakable if you dispatch some battlecruisers, carriers or guardians to take care of the enemies from a long range. As for the scourges, they can be taken out with the sufficient amount of photon cannons.

But well, I admit that I rarely sucseeded in even capturing an enemy worker unit, not developing the whole new base system. But as far as I'm concerned if you can extract the captured worker from the battlefield, you're pretty much trough the difficult part.

15. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Except for the multi-thousand dollar budget needed to tech the race.

Units tend to focus fire, so no.

16. punwisp

punwisp

Resources:
    Resources:
    my como can't be beaten! Marines/ghosts/medics FTW

17. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    You can easilly solve that by establishing multiple smaller, mining bases.

btw, you may think my defence theory sux, but I think It's pretty much better than the default Bunker+Siege tank combination. You know that no perfect defence exists.

18. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's not how hard it is to acquire the money. It's the fact that you should need to be spending it on military and expansion. If your enemy is that far behind, use the resources to kill them.

Your defence theory takes approximately 5x the length of an ideal game, and at least the total amount of resources mined in it, to establish, and is thus impractical.

Siege Tanks, Ultralisks, Vultures, High Templar, and many other things would rip you apart.

19. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Poot, if you've played Starcraft with 3 other real players (especially with friends), you must know that noone dares to attack anyone. Everyone concentrates on the defence for the first time, and if you have three of your friends as enemies, you just can't choose which to attack. And if you attack one, the other two won't join the fight, because they dunno whose side to be on. So, if you beat an enemy, and capture its worker, there are still 2 more to fight, and you still can't decide which to attack, and have enough time to build up a whole new race. But yeah, that takes more than 2 hours usually, and in the end you'll become extremely bored of the game.

EDIT: I'm not talking about practicity, but effectiveness. I admit that it's not entirely practical.

20. Anything.

Anything.

Resources:
    Resources:
    Those are some really, really indecisive enemies, then.

I'm going to have to take PurplePoot's side here and say that it takes way too much time to actually construct and mass an entire second race while your enemies are focusing on one. You need to spend twice as many resources to reach the point your enemy is currently; one for Protoss, and one for the assimilated race. By the time you have upgraded everything and finished your techtree, your enemy will probably already have a thousand bajillion units ready to attack you (who knows why they haven't already).

Though, I must agree that Dark Archons' mind control is more worth it really late game when your Protoss race has already maximized (or near maximized) its upgrades and has near finished its techtree - only then would it be worth it to start a new race...

If you have a 90% win ratio with your strategy, go find some better players :/