• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

3 archons or 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
At the current point it's:
HT+HT=Archon
DT+DT=Archon
HT+DT=Archon

Twilight Archon got replaced with Archon. It's the same thing though, just lacks the Twilight in it's name.

Level 14
I like the idea of 3 different archons. They're pure win. I don't care what they'll balance it with.. protoss were always my favorite. Screw terran and zerg, pure strength is the way to go.

Level 35
I'd not be happy if they missed out the Dark Archon. I love that one because that dude had that mind control ability, which I always used to capture the enemy workers and then build a base of the enemy's race. But, yeah..no other races had the ability to capture enemy technology, and I'm quite sure that they'll miss out the Mind Control ability.

Level 40
Mind Control was balanced because taking another race was far too monetarily expensive, and the dent in your economy would lose you the game.

If you had enough money to sustain it and still fight as well as they did, you should've been able to kill them long before due to your huge economic advantage.

Level 40
If you have enough time and money to tech all three races to the max, your opponent is, quite frankly, terrible.

Also, it's not hard to push tough defences like that. Your first one asks for a good old Guardian+Scourge or Ultraling+Dark Swarm combo (or Nukes+Tanks with Terran, or Disruption Web + Anything with Protoss), and your second asks for Scourges and Hydralisks/Mutalisks (or Nukes+Lockdown, or Wraiths, or Scouts+Arbiters).

And so on.

Level 35
I don't really think they're so breakable if you dispatch some battlecruisers, carriers or guardians to take care of the enemies from a long range. As for the scourges, they can be taken out with the sufficient amount of photon cannons.

But well, I admit that I rarely sucseeded in even capturing an enemy worker unit, not developing the whole new base system. But as far as I'm concerned if you can extract the captured worker from the battlefield, you're pretty much trough the difficult part.

Level 40
But as far as I'm concerned if you can extract the captured worker from the battlefield, you're pretty much trough the difficult part.
Except for the multi-thousand dollar budget needed to tech the race.

I don't really think they're so breakable if you dispatch some battlecruisers, carriers or guardians to take care of the enemies from a long range. As for the scourges, they can be taken out with the sufficient amount of photon cannons.
Units tend to focus fire, so no.

Level 40
You can easilly solve that by establishing multiple smaller, mining bases.
It's not how hard it is to acquire the money. It's the fact that you should need to be spending it on military and expansion. If your enemy is that far behind, use the resources to kill them.

btw, you may think my defence theory sux, but I think It's pretty much better than the default Bunker+Siege tank combination. You know that no perfect defence exists.
Your defence theory takes approximately 5x the length of an ideal game, and at least the total amount of resources mined in it, to establish, and is thus impractical.

my como can't be beaten! Marines/ghosts/medics FTW
Siege Tanks, Ultralisks, Vultures, High Templar, and many other things would rip you apart.

Level 35
Poot, if you've played Starcraft with 3 other real players (especially with friends), you must know that noone dares to attack anyone. Everyone concentrates on the defence for the first time, and if you have three of your friends as enemies, you just can't choose which to attack. And if you attack one, the other two won't join the fight, because they dunno whose side to be on. So, if you beat an enemy, and capture its worker, there are still 2 more to fight, and you still can't decide which to attack, and have enough time to build up a whole new race. But yeah, that takes more than 2 hours usually, and in the end you'll become extremely bored of the game.

EDIT: I'm not talking about practicity, but effectiveness. I admit that it's not entirely practical.

Level 5
Poot, if you've played Starcraft with 3 other real players (especially with friends), you must know that noone dares to attack anyone. Everyone concentrates on the defence for the first time, and if you have three of your friends as enemies, you just can't choose which to attack. And if you attack one, the other two won't join the fight, because they dunno whose side to be on. So, if you beat an enemy, and capture its worker, there are still 2 more to fight, and you still can't decide which to attack, and have enough time to build up a whole new race. But yeah, that takes more than 2 hours usually, and in the end you'll become extremely bored of the game.

EDIT: I'm not talking about practicity, but effectiveness. I admit that it's not entirely practical.

Those are some really, really indecisive enemies, then.

I'm going to have to take PurplePoot's side here and say that it takes way too much time to actually construct and mass an entire second race while your enemies are focusing on one. You need to spend twice as many resources to reach the point your enemy is currently; one for Protoss, and one for the assimilated race. By the time you have upgraded everything and finished your techtree, your enemy will probably already have a thousand bajillion units ready to attack you (who knows why they haven't already).

Though, I must agree that Dark Archons' mind control is more worth it really late game when your Protoss race has already maximized (or near maximized) its upgrades and has near finished its techtree - only then would it be worth it to start a new race...

If you have a 90% win ratio with your strategy, go find some better players :/

Level 35
Dude....that's not my strategy. I already mentioned that above, I rarely sucseed in developing that, and only when I play with my friends, who really dunno who to attack. Yes, they are indecisive, but if you had to kill one of your 3 best friends, who would you choose?

What I'm trying to point out is NOT that it's the ultimate strategy against anyone, I'm trying to say that IF YOU SUCSEED in developing that defence, it works very well.

Last edited:
Level 5
Dude....that's not my strategy. I already mentioned that above, I rarely sucseed in developing that, and only when I play with my friends, who really dunno who to attack. Yes, they are indecisive, but if you had to kill one of your 3 best friends, who would you choose?

What I'm trying to point out is NOT that it's the ultimate strategy against anyone, I'm trying to say that IF YOU SUCSEED in developing that defence, it works very well.

*Succeed.

Obviously, you kill the one closest to you, as he/she is an immediate threat :p
Well, anyways, the point now is that they don't exist anymore, so this conversation is null and void :)

Let's talk about Twilight Archons.
1) Are they just beefed up High Templar-Archons?
2) Who here thinks that "reinstitution of Dark Templars into Protoss society" is just a cover-up to fix the game and not have one player running around with all three races? I do.

Level 40
I've played 1v1, 1v1v1, 1v1v1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, and 2v2v2v2 commonly.

1v1 is obviously very offensive.

2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 are usually more offensive, as you try to quickly take out one or two of them with a joint rush.

1v1v1 are generally slightly less offensive than 1v1, as you are wary about being hit from behind. You usually hit slightly harder and later, but not much.

1v1v1v1 are much like 1v1, because since there are four people you're less scared of a third hitting you from behind (They have other things to do).

2v2v2v2 are the most offensive at all, since your team needs to hold the minerals from three other teams, which means keeping them busy at their bases, not yours.

but if you had to kill one of your 3 best friends, who would you choose?
The weakest one, or all of them at once, depending on how they are (Triple lurker rush FTW!). Kindness has its place outside of strategy games, not inside them.

If you hesitate to kick their ass, and they don't hesitate to kick yours, they win.

Though, I must agree that Dark Archons' mind control is more worth it really late game when your Protoss race has already maximized (or near maximized) its upgrades and has near finished its techtree - only then would it be worth it to start a new race...
By that point, the game should really be over.

Dark Archons are not particularly good because of Mind Control (Feedback and Maelstrom tend to be much more useful), but it's nice when you can grab a Battlecruiser and fire off a Yamato Cannon, for example.

Against good players, you have a 0% chance, plus or minus 0%, of pulling it off, though.

1) Are they just beefed up High Templar-Archons?
2) Who here thinks that "reinstitution of Dark Templars into Protoss society" is just a cover-up to fix the game and not have one player running around with all three races? I do.
  1. Yes, exactly, they're epic win, sort of like the old Archon, but now even more awesome (They can pulverize enemy casters from a distance, assuming Feedback has not changed from StarCraft).
  2. I don't, since the strategy is rather undesirable, and Possession/Charm sprung up in Wc3 anyways, showing they don't seem to have much of a problem with it. It's more likely that they just wanted to do something new with the Archon.

Level 35
The weakest one, or all of them at once, depending on how they are (Triple lurker rush FTW!). Kindness has its place outside of strategy games, not inside them.

Yeah, the game always begins with killing the weakest one, usually with an allience with the other 2 players. And when he is almost killed, you hijack his worker and get back to your base.

All of them at once?? That's pretty much suicide, because if they manage to kill you, you're dead. Well, I wasn't that hardcore on SC to manage in killing them all at once, so I didn't try.

1v1v1v1 are much like 1v1, because since there are four people you're less scared of a third hitting you from behind (They have other things to do).

It's much less offensive than 1v1. In 1v1 you (I) usually don't hesitate to choose who to attack. I don't have experience of 2v2v2v2, because I used to play in LAN. But I agree that 2v2 is much more offensive than 1v1.

Level 40
And when he is almost killed, you hijack his worker and get back to your base.
If you have Dark Archons by that point, you're doing something terribly wrong.

Also, if you do have them, and manage to tech the race, your enemies are doing something terribly wrong.

All of them at once?? That's pretty much suicide, because if they manage to kill you, you're dead. Well, I wasn't that hardcore on SC to manage in killing them all at once, so I didn't try.
It depends on the situation. If they aren't prepared to fight lurkers or dark templar for example, split your group up to hit everyone at once, and they all die.

It's much less offensive than 1v1. In 1v1 you (I) usually don't hesitate to choose who to attack. I don't have experience of 2v2v2v2, because I used to play in LAN. But I agree that 2v2 is much more offensive than 1v1.
Again, you say yourself that you play with people who aren't willing to take chances, and ironically lose because of it.

I'm talking about a 1v1v1v1 with four people playing aggressively, which happens as you get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.