• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

2D Platformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
krumelur2d2-1-png.298891

I created a 2D movement system for arrowkeys, that overrides the delay usually associated with arrowkeys in wc3.
Now your character will move at the moment you press the key, instead of after a ~0.2 second delay!

This map is gonna be a short adventure map, inspired by the gameplay of Hollow Knight.
The player will go through an ancient ruin, clearing obstacles, slaying monsters and fighting bosses.

krumelur2d2-2-png.298892

Screenshots
Screen1.png

Screen2.png

Screen3.png

Screen4.png

Screen4.png

Screen5.png

Screen5.png

Screen6.png

Screen8.png

Note that this project is still in early development!

Need help!
Camera Presets

Since there are many screen dimensions out there, I'm having trouble to set the game camera to an absolute value.
In order to make it comfortable for players, I want to ask for your help:

When you enter the game, press Esc, and try the presets.
The question is, does the available camera presets work on your computer, and if they don't, what value works for you and what are your screen dimensions?

Test Version
Enter "test" as a chat message to unlock all the currently available abilities!

Have any opinions or suggestions? Please post below! :)
You are free to open the map and check the triggers out!

Attachments

• 2D Warden 0.2.w3x
    554.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 2D Warden 0.3.w3x
    561.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 2D Warden 0.4.w3x
    592.8 KB · Views: 315
  • 2D Warden 0.9.w3x
    1.5 MB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Level 26
Thanks! :)
Well, One thing I noticed when working with arrowkeys is that every time I forgot to lock the camera to the unit that was supposed to move, the camera moved instantly, while the unit moved after a delay.

So, in map initialization, a 0.02 x 0.02 region is created, it is centered to the current "room" that the player is in, and camerabounds are locked to it.
That means that when you use the arrowkeys, the camera is moving so very slightly in the direction you choose, and the camera position is stored as a real value.
When the real value increases or decreases, a movement command is issued, and the unit will move.

This system has its limitations, such as having to be locked to one room at a time (no camera following the unit around) and the delay for stopping the unit from moving sadly had to remain

You are welcome to open the map up and check out the triggers, if you like. :)

Level 26
And obviously, this only works locally. The arrow key events are delayed because they need to be synced (at least in multiplayer). But it's quite crafty! Theoretically, you could still move the camera around via triggers but then you have to know the exact behavior to be able to distinguish it.

Level 26
I would prefer something more like Tickles' 2D map, but it seems interesting
I actually started working on something like Dark Vestige before I started this project, since I absolutely adored the style of the game, but before I got too far I realized that I wanted something a bit more fast-paced, one more dimension than a sidescroller, and, I wanted to put the responsive arrowkeys to good use. :)

DarkVestigeShamelessRipoff.png

I would make the tile you're using alphaed out, then you can create what ever you want as a BG :).
I'm using the alpha tile very sparingly so far. I've only used it in the boss room and the second room (but hasn't updated taht screenshot). I will make at least a few room using the alpha tile more efficently, but I decided not to have it as a default background, since there is so much space to fill, and I also thought I could get pretty creative with tiles.
When I first thought of the responsive arrowkey 2D, I had it set in outland, with a beautiful Outland "skyrug", creating a cool depth feeling, but I decided to go with another theme.

Outland 2D.png

I have however thought of making the standard backround alpha, and use imported ubersplats to generate terrain. I haven't thought a of a good way to do this yet though. :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Can you record a video showcasing the smooth movement you're advertising? My WC3 refuses to co-operate so can't try the OP's map file attachment.

Status
Not open for further replies.