• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[2D] Apheraz Lucent VS ~Nightmare - "Yours is mine!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
The Hive Workshop

Challenge

Challenge Arena Rules:

• Standard skin submission rules apply.
Challenge Theme: Yours is Mine!
Each participant selects one of their own uploaded (and approved) skins on the Hive for the opponent to re-imagine in their own way. The theme and the model must be kept the same, and the general "feeling" of the skin should imply that it drew inspiration from the original.
Alterations are allowed as long as it resembles the original, in your own way.

Each contestant holds the right to "veto" only one skin an opponent selects, after which another one must be chosen.

Subject:
Texturing

Theme:
Re-visualize the other participant's texture. Based on selection system, Apheraz_Lucent will recreate the GoldenLightArcher256x256.blp, while ~Nightmare will be recreating SpringFaeV2.blp.

Challenger:
Apheraz Lucent

Opponent(s):
~Nightmare

Challenge Duration:
14 days

Judges:
-Archian
-HappyTauren

Proposed Reputation Award:
15 reputation to the Winner.

Challenge judging:
100% of results will be based on scoring from the judges.

Last edited:
Level 30
We got some Battle of the Titans action going =)
Archian agreed to be a judge, and HappyTauren volunteered to be the second one. Thanks guys!

Now, for my pick, I choose... My Spring Fae Skin! ( SpringFaeV2.blp )
186519-albums3700-picture105293.png

I recall two things come to this one: First one being that it was you who actually figured out the hair of Sorceress wrap and made my life easier. Second one is that you said you'd like to re-visit the Sorceress wrap in the future, so why not?
I'm curious to see how can you re-imagine the idea of a Sorceress model as a Naga unit. Of course, you have the right to "veto" this skin, and I'll pick another one.

Level 30
Started with face, as usual.

I love the red lips on the skin so I kept that, and I tried to experiment a bit with the crown. Basics established, now it's time to conceptualize the armor =)
By the way, does the cape really use a part of hair to wrap it? Blizzard's a mess

Attachments

• golden light arche.png
    golden light arche.png
    294.9 KB · Views: 209
Level 30
I guess it's got much to do with the way both of us apply shading and highlights.
~Nightmare goes for those epic artistic strokes while I tend to always blur skin tones =)

edit: I follow your face bid and I'm raising it by a chest area!

I've zero clue on what to do with the hair. I think I'll make it as light as possible since there's a whole lot of gold and I need something to tone it down. Also not sure about whether I want to add some black tones to armor, or keep it all golden.

Attachments

• WIP2.png
    WIP2.png
    173.4 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Like the face and body, the skirt is okay but I'm not a huge fan of the hair. Looks too messy IMO.

The wrap is not... particularly favorable, to say the least.

Anyways, that looks really good, I am kind of not a fan of the hands though, also I feel her shins could use a different style. Maybe looks better in the game.

Last edited:
Level 30
Where's the chivalry? A lady should finish first :razz:

Golden Valkyra by Apheraz

The helmet turned out fantastically, and I decided to keep the eyes blue instead of yellow in original skin, just so I have some portrait contrast to go on par with the lips.
Unfortunately, the cape does use a part of hair to wrap the other shoulderpad, so I had to be a bit harsh on both detailing the "normal" shoulder, and shading it any more than very basic.
Also, I've tried to add a strap of team color on the shoulderpad and accidentally found out it doesn't have any TC to be added. It did, however, made a nice effect once alphaed, so I kept it.

I'll certainly work more on the skin, when I get critiques. For now, this is my submission.

For clarification purposes, yes, I'm going with the Golden variation. Silver is just there for those who might need her a bit toned down.

136041-929cdc4202f1f7048083aa1d3a36553c.png

full

Last edited:
Reactions: Moy
@Apheraz Lucent I just realized your skin has a structural flaw not present in the original version - your helmet conforms to face's inherent lines, meaning it's hard to pick apart from the face itself, where in the original skin it was designed to not follow the facial lines, so that it's easy to tell apart from it. From afar your version makes it look like like the helmet is a part of the face, and from close up it looks like some sort of a glued-on mask, where his version looks more obviously like a helmet. That being said, I do like your skin's general facial design, I think it looks sharper, compared to his more bland one.

The armor though looks really good, and the cape looks nice, despite having a wrapping issue that won't be seen in the game.

Level 23
@~Nightmare I really like your attempt on the hair. I really think you could pull it off if only the hair wrap was not that bad. I really adore her face and the her new armor. I think it would be better if you remove the team color on her skirt, it somehow removes the naga tail thing taste. Also the hands could be better, I think.

@Apheraz Lucent I like her face, pretty amazonian, armor and cape. Though I think her armor could be more golden cause it blends with her brownish parts. Also the not aligned tips of her helmet (supposedly elven ears) is quite bothering, from the looks of it, its like it is also anchored through her hair. I like those planetary orbs on her bows though lol.

Level 30
I declare a forfeit from my side.

I'm not going to beg anyone to do their job, neither will I lose nerves because of unprofessionalism. It's been over a month. For TWO entries, and I've had it. And no, I do not want to reverse my opinion in any way. You can post judging, HappyTauren, to entertain the masses and provide feedback on our work, so we can update it accordingly - if I "won", I'm still pulling out - deduct my reputation and award it to ~Nightmare.

You can bet your asses that I won't join or aid anything contest related in any near future. This is disrespectful.

Status
Not open for further replies.