• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

2012? Fake? Real?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
So this is like my 4th off-topic post so I wanted to make it something everyone can post in. I think the title speaks for itself. Will the world end in 2012? If not will it ever end? But please say some source such as a quote from your bible or science or the past etc. Good Arguing

Level 7
Im talking truth i dont need a quote... Why would the world just suddenly end on one day? like WHY that day? Sure the Mayan calender ends... So what how do we know if they didnt leave the calender that wway and left their city/village? IMO 2012 is full of bogus just cause the planets line up doesnt mean ANYTHING it would've happened atleast ONCE before since the earth is 4.5 BILLION years old...

article-1023318-017076B500000578-578_468x286.jpg

But please say some source such as a quote from your bible or science or the past etc. Good Arguing

Here lies the problem in arguments. Quoting from a religious text is trying to undecipher a metaphor lost in time and translation - also I'd imagine that science now would be a better predictor then something written in an ancient text.

Level 5
Will the world end in 2012? If not will it ever end?

No, it won't end in 2012. They say there is evidence in the bible (I would say more but I cannot remember which specific parts of it), but alot of stuff in the bible cannot be proved/has already been disproved.

Also, of course the Earth will end. If not by asteroids and comets, then by the Sun eventually becoming larger, either large enough to burn all life or just consume our planet with it's size. Then the sun itself will die due to the Giant Turtle aliens.

Oh, and I'd like to see the faces on all those people who thought the world would end once we hit 2013. Just one more reason to try not to die. :)

Level 7
I'm not saying that the evidence the 2012 apocalypse believers provide is false, but in my opinion, nothing is going to happen when this so called "doomsday" approaches. The people with the doomsday evidence are probably interpreting their evidence completely wrong.

Level 14
article-1023318-017076B500000578-578_468x286.jpg

Here lies the problem in arguments. Quoting from a religious text is trying to undecipher a metaphor lost in time and translation - also I'd imagine that science now would be a better predictor then something written in an ancient text.

The problem with quoting religion is that, at best, it's science fiction. Bits and pieces of truth held together with theory. Science is the same. The only real difference between the two is this: religion is answer based [ultimately, it's because of a god] while science is questioned based [who, what, where, when, how]. Both have predicted numerous doomsday events/scenarios and yet we're all still here.

Theres no such thing as "evidence" in the bible because the bible is a crock all its own. Thats like saying pokemon exist because its in my manual.

I agree with you, but keep in mind that most religious people view the bible, or it's equivalent, as fact. It's essentially a historical-like document.

Well if started to believe every single doomsday prediction world would be just one big mass hysteria. Wasn't world supposed to end years ago by some other predictions also?

Yes, it was. Maybe it has already.

All things that have a beginning have an ending. Ours [humanity's] will almost certainly be long, long before the world's. Besides, define world.

//\\oo//\\

Level 21
They believed the world's end was earlier ago, but now I'm not sure if I do believe or think these useless predictions are just useless in my opinion.
I'm just going to live my life to my fullness and I don't fucking care about the end of the world.

Level 9
I'm pretty sure there is universal agreement that 2012 is fake, all the hype that was built up for it has died down and really theres no logical reason to believe it.

Level 12
Some douche starts spreading gossip to create some drama and the gullible follow, after 2012 is denied I'm sure there will another date, In fact I already heard one:
"the Mayan prophesies might be wrong..... about 50 years or so."

Level 4
aye but the mayans have predictated other things... the year of their own demise among other things. and some say they predicted ww2 and ww1... also mayans chinesse egyptians and some others all predicted 2012 and their all on seperate continents... some seperated by water... i dunno bout you but on the night before 2012 ima do some crazy shit just in case :D! if it dosnt end... i have some good memories anyway.

aye but the mayans have predictated other things... the year of their own demise among other things. and some say they predicted ww2 and ww1... also mayans chinesse egyptians and some others all predicted 2012 and their all on seperate continents... some seperated by water... i dunno bout you but on the night before 2012 ima do some crazy shit just in case :D! if it dosnt end... i have some good memories anyway.

An octopus predicted the outcome of the world cup, shall we also let him put in his 2 cents on when the world will end?

the mayans just stopped doing their calendar and just happened to stop in a year calculated to be December 2012... because
that is the endpoint of a cycle that they believe in which means, after that, the cycle restarts again...

@Trax. - why do you post that thing in several threads??? almost all of the recent threads that I saw where you posted, contains that post and only that post... just curious... ^_^

Level 12
Look at it this way. The Mayans didn't have all the tech we have today. They had rocks and some other things to make a calendar out of. I think after a while their going to say "Screw this" and stop collecting rocks and painting things on them.

Also, this isn't the first time we've thought the world was going to end, remember Y2K?

Level 5
I'm pretty sure they started talking about the evidence in the Bible instead of the mayans... hell, I'll go look it up now.

Level 14
An octopus predicted the outcome of the world cup, shall we also let him put in his 2 cents on when the world will end?

We can't, he's dead...

Paul the Octopus

as far as I know, what is written is that only God knows when it will happen... and the world wont really end you know... its more like of a rebirth...

Where is it written? Which god? Rebirth for who/what?

//\\oo//\\

Level 31
->Also, this isn't the first time we've thought the world was going to end, remember Y2K?

Y2K actually occurred (not in an end of the world sense mind you, but a restart or mass fix of all storage mediums sense).

->The Year 2000 problem (also known as the Y2K problem, the millennium bug, the Y2K bug, or simply Y2K) was a problem for both digital (computer-related) and non-digital documentation and data storage situations which resulted from the practice of abbreviating a four-digit year to two digits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2000_problem

-------------
People look at things and try to draw connections. It's part of our abstract way of thinking. This can help us solve problems, but it can also be a double edged sword (people will look for connections that aren't actually there). Just because a potato chip looks like a dollar bill doesn't mean crap ; P. It just means a potato chip happens to look like a dollar bill ; ).

Mayan prediction and so on just aren't credible. The bible isn't credible either... a lot of predictions people perceive weren't even predictions to begin with (it might be random art). There's a great show called Kino's Journey where a writer writes a super sad poem in one town and its treated as a piece of work that predicts the end of the world in another. Wars spring, people go crazy, and etc. Kino's Journey really deals with a lot of fun "what if" topics and places popular beliefs of current modern society in those shows to show how crazy some of them really can be.

If a mentally ill person wrote a document 3000 years ago that talks about vague imagery and so on that can be related to the end of the world, how are people to know it was written by a crazy person 3000 years later?

Anyways, those are my own takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.