1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

1283 C.E. v1.0

Submitted by APproject
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Details
1283 C.E.
v1.0

[​IMG]

Introduction

This is 11:11 minutes long single player historical cinematic with historical facts representing eastern europe times back to 1283 common era, when christians sent Teutonic Knights upon pagan Lithuania very first time. Cinematic shows events from pagan's point of view. Main thought of cinematic is that christianity has set a distance between human and nature, dealing harm to human's existence.

Cinematic contains massive amount of sounds imported, mainly voice recordings. That is the reason for its size.

Story

1283 common era, summer, Lithuanian land. Struggle between Lithuanian pagans and christians already lasted for nearly three hundreds of years. Missioner's failure to spread christianity among pagan village people resulted in brutal confrontation, which provoked a very first strike upon Lithuania by Teutonic Order. Christianity has pushed out pure and vital beliefs to human, causing human to lose one's sight and wander away from close connection with nature.

[​IMG]

Credits
The Hiveworkshop Models:

olofmoleman
Nasrudin
eubz
Deolrin
Forgotten_Warlord
Shadow_killer
mapper
shamanyouranus
Dark Hunter1357
Yayoi
Carrington2k
Kitabatake
Aquis
Ket
Tranquil
Dionesiist
SD_Ryoko
ikillforeyou
Sunchips
Leeroy
HappyCockroach
Apocalypsen
iristle
sunwarrior25
Lord_T

Loading Screen: Spartipilo

Music: Battleforge: Viridya's Demise; Giantsbane

Sounds: From all over the internet

Voice: by APproject

Screenshots (Count: 5)
Screenshot 1.
[​IMG]

Screenshot 2.
[​IMG]

Screenshot 3.
[​IMG]

Screenshot 4.
[​IMG]

Screenshot 5.
[​IMG]

Keywords:
Cinematic, common, era, 1283, lithuania, middle, age, teutonic, order, pagan, paganism, history, historical, facts, approject, idol, medieval, middle-
Contents

1283 C.E. v1.0 (Map)

Reviews
Vengeancekael: Private Message Date: 2011/Oct/29 22:51:01 Reasons: Other: Comment: Review: Story&Writing: You've based your map on true events from the past, about crusaders and christianity being spread all over the world, it's nothing...
  1. Vengeancekael: Private Message
    Date: 2011/Oct/29 22:51:01

Reasons:

Other:
    Comment: Review:

Story&Writing:

You've based your map on true events from the past, about crusaders and christianity being spread all over the world, it's nothing original original, of course not, but still really well executed. You also represent the very brutal violence in some of the scenes, like cavaliers killing small children as well.
    The writing isn't fabulous, nothing philosophically written, also a few grammar errors, but overall acceptable.

Camera:

Excellent camera work, you can see everything important in a scene, the movement's smooth, but I would suggest is add some really sudden/intense camera movements, like when a cavalier is about to kill one of those children, move the camera really fast to the unit and maybe add slow motion for his death animation.

Terrain:

Excellent work, the village looks very much like the villages from back then, your house model choice is fitting, the footmen and cavaliers have rather matching armor sets, unless they are all made by one person.
    The environment is very natural looking, nice height variation, filled terrain with grass, shrubbery, etc.
    But I would suggest is make the scene from the beginning of the cinematic where the narrator is talking very swamp-like with a thick green fog. Or just add some animations to the existing scene, like frogs jumping around, people walking past, a messenger running by, etc.
    It would also be nice to add multiple environmental scenes in the beginning, because due to the narrator talking for so long, it can get boring rather fast to look at the same shot the whole time.

Other:

Neat loading screen image and preview image, a well written map description as well.
    Suggestions:

*Make the transition titles ('two weeks later', etc.) fade in/out faster
    *Make the narrator part in the beginning shorter

Overall:

A very well executed cinematic based on true events from the past, a neat terrain, but there's always room for improvement.
    Admin Contact - Resource Moderation - Rules

2. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Approved for working.
    Really interested about this, gonna check it out and review it tomorrow.

3. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks for approving. I'm glad you're interested. :)

4. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I do not approve of any forcing of religion upon people, and I am an agnostic atheist, but I don't think Paganism was based on strong links to nature, more so ritual and sacrifice which kills innocent people. They believed in false deities which they thought came in mortal form as Lightning, Fire, etc, and without sacrifice, they would punish the Pagan people.

Good execution, very interesting cinematic. You definitely need to improve your English, get someone to proof-read it for you.

5. Darkgamma

Darkgamma

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is very much my feedback too.

Damn, now you got me interested in actually making something with Lithuanians.

6. -W3SK3R-

-W3SK3R-

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's just a cinematic dude

7. Nemesis4Hired

Nemesis4Hired

Resources:
    Resources:
  8. redprince

redprince

Resources:
    Resources:
    That's a bit of a harsh religious judgement man, the Faith of a person/people should not be judged by others as false, especially on a site like this that lives off of people working together and putting aside their differences. (happy Hallmark moment i know,right?) Also that is pretty much perfectly the mindset behind those who perpetrated the atrocities of the Crusades (as well as most Wars)= Soldiers & "common" folk are told that the enemy are basically "sub-human" and that their beliefs are "False and Evil" and pretty much the "cause of all of your problems in life so just kill them and be Happy Forever!" where as in Reality, the Rich and Royal (usually one and the same) simply are greedy and want their lands/resources/women/some other petty crap(especially historically in the case of most of the Teutons). Yes, there has been plenty of evidence found for many Pagan Religions being violent/sacrificial based... just like almost every old Religion and society. Yes, the Crusades were a Holocaust/ Jihad type event in human history that caused untold suffering and setbacks for mankind. All of human history is filled with total Brutality and Suffering... usually based upon people not attempting to compromise.

For the most part these days, we aren't forced to believe certain ways to survive, if we don't agree with someone/something... we just disagree, doesn't mean that we have to go on the offensive and attack that belief though...

(For the record though... the Teutons did have some of the most well crafted, beautiful, and Bad Ass looking armor ever!)

9. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ahh, thats why you needed those teutonic models so bad. First I was like wtf Lithuania, who would ever do a cinematic about Lithuania other than lithuanian. Now I know where are you from :)

However I'd rather see about Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth :p

Yeah right, and they ate babies. They were religions, like all of them, with some good and some bad, it's not that one is superior to another. But ofc today's Church will try to talk bad about it to justify their actions.

10. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I am christian meself, but I do not believe in it, I am more like atheist, who believe in power of human's mind, but I'm also sure about vital connection with nature. Scientifically it doesn't make any sense, but deeper look is needed. Pagansim was based on strong connection with nature, it is basis of pagansim. They weren't sacrificing humans, only some goats (At least in eastern europe, perhaps mostly aztecs did). As Mechanical Man mentioned, each religion has bad and good, paganism's cons would be only sacrificion and belief in elements perhaps, rest was truly necessary to human's existence. Now boundary is being set between true and false. I may lack in arguments, but I've read some books from great minds and it all made sense.

Thank you for your strict opinion.

Hehe, well you're right. I was in need of those really badly, but it is pain in the butt to get this kind of request. My first intention was to create RPG-like map based on this, but I decided to make cinematic, because it is way easier and better interpretation of what I am trying to say.

-----------------------------------

Thank you for your comments and discussions.

11. Cyberatog

Cyberatog

Resources:
    Resources:
    Actually, Christianity started out with sacrifices like everyone else, but dropped that as they needed to remove such mundane annoyances before they started calling everyone a sinner. That was animals though, but Abraham almost did sacrifice his son to God's amusement so I suppose you can count that.

Human sacrifice was arguably committed by the Norse (according to a supposed neutral arab), but the celts and others seem very unlikely, as this information can usually be traced back to Roman propaganda, with no actual physical proof. Human sacrifice is common in countries with harsh climates that can change overnight and where the quality of crops was more critical. The norse sacrificed thralls (slaves) so their reason was to get into more fights and enslave more people.

I strongly oppose missionaries, but they are pale in comparison to the Teutonic Order, who tried to enforce religion not through argument but through violence. I believe this "film", if you will, has less to do with religion and more to do with what is wrong with trying to force your own world view upon others in a general sense.

12. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    In my estimation, God, Allah, Buddha, they are all false deities. I make no discrimination, it's just that Paganism has already been proven to be a barbaric and shortsighted religion, equally, or more so than Christianity and Islam. But this is simply my opinion, and I would not force my beliefs on someone else, or deem them undesirable because of their religion.

13. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Missionaries were doing primary work - trying to agitate, gather more people to be baptized. Denial to be baptized opened an opportunity for Teutonic Knights. It is like behind missionaries stands a bunch of heavy armored knights, who steps in in case of denial. Missionaries and Teutonics are the same christians, just their role in christianity adoptation is different. Teutonics weren't less devout than missionaries themselves and I am sure they had same opinion about heathens.
    This cinematic could be interpreted in few subjects. Trying to force your own view is wrong, slaughtering people with different attitude is also wrong, christianity has set distance between nature and human, dealing harm to primal human nature.
    Thank you for your thoughts and opinion.

God is not separate, Allah, Buddha, Christ and others are one and same god with different name, but I must agree that deities are false, there is no true religion, because religion itself is just an illusion to strengthen human's will with strong beliefs to be guided by god. Paganism may be marked with brutal activity - animals / humans sacrifice, but pagans were closest to the nature, and close touch with nature is needed for human existence. Reincarnation may sound silly, but it is possible only by keeping close touch with nature. People who are distant from nature are lost from primal need, wrong beliefs would mislead soul and it would never come back into mortal form again. That is my opinion.

14. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Although the cinematic itself didn't provide much action, it was nice because of the voice acting and so on, but the text/narration parts with static camera felt a bit boring. Yes, it was better idea than rpg, if you wanted depict something smaller and make it in decent time.

So... can we expect in future something about I suggested in previous post? :D

15. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I agree with everything excepting, the closeness to nature. I don't believe there is any supernatural power in nature, there are planets with grass and green plants like ours out there in the distance of the universe, are they deities also? Though I do agree with should take better care of the planet, lest it die on us.

I am sorry for turning a thread about your map into an anti-religious rant. I will return to the topic.

16. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I agree, it lacks camera variations.

Well I cannot guarantee 100%, but of course I might think about it. Maybe I may recreate one of polish-lithuania united battles, 1410 c.e. Battle of Grunwald is very notable.

It is not about deities, it is about how close one is to nature, how soul is close to it. We all are animals, part of this planet, we shouldn't create two different worlds in one. Same matter on other planets. I do respect your opinion though.

No, it is alright, I was hoping to begin this kind of discussions, would be even better if more people would join.

17. DD Canada

DD Canada

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hello,

This is overall a nice cinematic, it has got an interesting subject, custom models, voice acting and all that stuff...

However, like said before, it could use more camera variations. Also, although the voices were otherwise just fine, "expressions" were, well, should I say "uninspiring"?

As for the religion issues, one should respect other religions apart from one's own as well. They're a significant part of different cultures.

Rating: 4/5

18. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    A cinematic too, or something else? Anyway I wanted to ask you what were lithuanian special force, some sort of unique unit?

19. The None

The None

Resources:
    Resources:
    nice map :)