• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

1.33 Campaign Balance Update

Level 8
I am confused. Is this custom fanmade stuff or is this what's in the official campaign?
I was trying to see the changelog in the official battle.net app but it just says "changes made" (or something to that effect) which I thought was really annoying for patch notes. Are these the full patch notes? If so, where did you get them?

Edit: just to add some context. I have not played for a long time. Probably a year or more. I played a bit after reforged was released and like many I was disappointed, but I kept it because I knew the modding community would make some great stuff. So please if you answer keep that context in mind as I won't understand contemporary references.

Level 8
Help in what way?
So is it likely they will fix bugged Sylvanas?

Or Blue elves at Silvetmoon depleting their mine?

Is there a way to get music to work on ptr manipulating files because quiet maps right now is the only thing turning me off ftom doing the entire game to get all the bugs

Glad I did though because this Sylvanas bug is something id hate to be stuck with forever

Also @Kam Ch3 horde cry of the warsong.

Wanna know how i managed with groms instant attack timer in 1.33 Hard?

Skip cutscene and let all orcs vut grom die and build and let grom solo kill the buildings so cutscene doesnt trigger. Then body block him in base until you get 6 or 12 grunts.

I usually destroy each base on first warsong attack on hard and with it taking ao l9ng he goes straight from eqch baae to next while you pillage all the reaources. This was about the same even with them having more production buildings and upgrades.

As for March of the scourge ch5 human. If you hotkey spam your scroll of healing and watch cutscene the zombies need to hit the 1 hp people to kill them the are dead if u skio cutscene. You can save a rifleman about footmen 6-7 units with a scroll. Ive done this for years.
I believe I encountered the same bug with Sylvanas today, for what it's worth. Doesn't seem like it's unique to you. (Screenshot attached.)
These are the official changes made while the Classic Games team still existed. The notes were taken from a file in the campaign AI folder that has since been removed.
Sorry, I didn't notice your reply earlier.

So, what are the differences between patch 1.32 and patch 1.33 (with regards to the official campaign)? Is that what the log in your original post refers to?

And, sorry for my ignorance, but you are actually a part of the team working on it in an offical capacity?

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_103022_163900_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_103022_163900_000.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 56
Level 6
So, what are the differences between patch 1.32 and patch 1.33 (with regards to the official campaign)? Is that what the log in your original post refers to?

And, sorry for my ignorance, but you are actually a part of the team working on it in an offical capacity?
The log in Post 1 is detailing the changes from 1.32 to 1.33, though they are not completely all-inclusive, and there's at least one case where I believe they are inaccurate (claims that starting units are not reduced in Hard Mode on the Culling of Stratholme, which is not true).

As far as I know, Kam used to be on Blizzard's Classic Games team, and made most of these changes himself roughly two years ago before the Classic Games Team was dismantled. I don't know all the details though, I'm a very infrequent poster on these forums.

The log in Post 1 is detailing the changes from 1.32 to 1.33, though they are not completely all-inclusive, and there's at least one case where I believe they are inaccurate (claims that starting units are not reduced in Hard Mode on the Culling of Stratholme, which is not true).

As far as I know, Kam used to be on Blizzard's Classic Games team, and made most of these changes himself roughly two years ago before the Classic Games Team was dismantled. I don't know all the details though, I'm a very infrequent poster on these forums.

You’re not far off. As far as design and implementation all the campaign balance changes were done by myself. It was intended for 1.32.0 but was delayed due to project issues. As the text file notes this work was all done in 2020 before Classic Games was shuttered. 1.33 is for the most part all of the work my team had done in 2020 that was left in an incomplete state.

As for any inconsistencies in the change log I was told 1.33 would never see the light of day so keeping the log exactly accurate was not a priority, also because it was only for internal use. The log is still extensive though. One of our imbedded QA helped test all of it on all three difficulties, and another designer provided feedback on Hard to help get it where I wanted.

Level 8
Well, anyway, I did notice several campaign bugs. So far none of them were game-breaking (I could still complete objectives and missions) but they were certainly immersion breaking. Another example attached.

So far most of them seem to be in the undead campaign, but it's possible I just missed the ones in the human campaign because I kind of sped through that one because I've done it so many times I was bored and kind of rushing.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_103022_202640_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_103022_202640_000.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 120
Level 11

Just a Heads up since no one posted it, but the 1.34.0 PTR is up

Greetings all.

Numerous people have reached out to me to ask about the 1.36 PTR changes that are reverting the 1.33 balance update.

Here is what will be lost:
  • Difficulty updates to every mission (RoC, TFT, Rexxar), on all three difficulties
  • Some of the audio pass, affecting in-game, cutscenes, and music
  • Accessibility pass for Story Mode, allowing for the differently abled and those new to RTS games to enjoy the campaign
  • Numerous bug fixes to the legacy campaign, such as it not rebuilding, heroes not being used, broken AI files, spells not being used, and missing unit introductions. There are also DEBUG cheats left on from development, and potential for certain cutscenes to break.
  • A lore pass correcting numerous inconsistencies such as team color, names, and visual upgrades to certain maps such as Dalaran (this list was provided by the lore community in great part)
  • Fixes to FaceFX portraits
Several people have requested a way to play the 1.33 update after this patch has been released. I'm not sure when it will come out, but the current plan is to release it as a custom campaign here.

This update represented a massive body of work from numerous team members. This is a baffling and anti-consumer decision that truly shows where the priorities are. In particular, this adversely affects players who are differently abled, who had development input, and who are yet again left behind.

Last edited:
Level 4
It's so sad to see such a well done job being discarded like this.

They claim that the changes and improvements of 1.33 are the causes of the constant crashes in the campaign. If not, what would be the cause? Are they just going to ignore all this? This means the campaigns can never be updated again? :vw_wtf:

It's so sad to see such a well done job being discarded like this.

They claim that the changes and improvements of 1.33 are the causes of the constant crashes in the campaign. If not, what would be the cause? Are they just going to ignore all this? This means the campaigns can never be updated again? :vw_wtf:
A campaign update of this scope is a many months process, with a dedicated design and audio team. It's not realistic to expect a comparable update again.

Level 4
Seems like their only focus is Ladder now.
Were you part of the development team?

Edit.: It's normal in the process of development of a new patch to discard the work done instead of fixing the issues present?

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69