• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

1.30.3 PTR caching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~El

Level 17
I'm not sure exactly, but it's highly likely that WC3 caches a lot of data internally in-between game sessions. This is probably an artifact of older times to cut down on loading time, to avoid having to read all the game data from the MPQs each time you start a map.

In particular, I think object data stored in SLKs is cached. A side-effect of this can be seen when a widgetized map corrupts said cache, which leads to subsequent desyncs in future games if the game is not restarted.

There are probably several more types of data that is being cached, and subsequently somehow corrupted or miscached inbetween game sessions, which leads to differing data in game clients, which in turn leads to desyncs.

It however doesn't explain desyncs that occur on a fresh start on WC3, and those still happen from time to time (I've tested this numerous times with friends). Perhaps, there's a semi-random factor to this, due to a programming error that also corrupts caches.

Status
Not open for further replies.