• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

1.27. LAN game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRious

M

MrRious

I have an old copy of Warcraft 3 1.27. on my computer. Hoping to give it a go with my brother, I've copied it through a pendrive onto another device. I've then created a LAN game and was able to find it on that device. Thing is, we're unable to connect. Any ideas how to fix this?

Last time I tried LAN mode a year or two ago it was working fine as I recall, except that it would desync me more often than Reforged. I assume the desyncs were due to some programming issues on the old version and maybe some Win10 compatibility stuff, where some stuff that used to be consistently calculated on all hardware might be more variable now, perhaps. We also had the unlucky case of hitting a reproducible desync in that version where an illusion with evasion who gets attacked on a bridge instantly causes desync/end of game or something like this. I tried recreating the scenario and it would desync every time, although the friend's computer I was testing with did not have Reforged and I was not going to force that on him to see if Blizz had fixed it at the time.

I know it's a bit of an obvious question but have you checked your firewall settings? There is no more support for the old version anymore but I am not aware of any reason why it would have stopped working, so I figure having it not work is probably a configuration issue on your side.

GameRanger or Radmin in case you want to play on LAN.
This seems somewhat misleading to me because these technologies are used for emulating LAN over long distances for bootleggers who want to play the game online unofficially. I really feel like they are the answer to a different question than what OP is asking.

In principle, if a long distance LAN emulator over VPN using a third party server works and lets him play LAN then that would mean his firewall settings were correct and literally just clicking the Local Area Network button on his 1.27 install should then also work (without the use of third party software).

Level 12
Their "Bonjour" service might still be need even on 1.27, though it should ask you to install it when you enter the game/lan menu

If nothing works then just download RAdmin as Ravager said, works flawlessly without any extra setup. Any desyncs are more like due to maps than the game version, since maps have been updated for newer version and hunting down a correct version is harder than before.
Also seeing the game but being unable to connect can be due to the map name being too long (or something lame like that).

OP: I have an issue
Ravager: Here's 3 ways to fix your issue
Retera: That's not what OP is asking

Oh yeah, it's big brain time.

Their "Bonjour" service might still be need even on 1.27, though it should ask you to install it when you enter the game/lan menu
I do not think so. My understanding was that the Reforged team reprogrammed the LAN function, and their rewrite of the LAN function uses the Bonjour service.
My experience with the old LAN functionality in legacy versions was that it worked flawlessly for me WITHOUT third party software -- given proper firewall settings.

But honestly since moving to Windiws 10, I only played LAN with that old version once or twice. It still worked flawlessly without third party software, though...

Anyway, OP please post back here if installing the RAdmin magically fixes your issue I guess. That would be totally inconsistent with my past experience (although I never personally used RAdmin) so it would be a learning moment for me to see that I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.