SPECIAL MELEE MAPPING CONTEST - 1v1
PRIZES AND EXPOSURE SPONSORED BY BACK2WARCRAFT
Create a competitive 1v1 melee map that excels in terrain, dynamic, and creativity, but most importantly balance, for a chance to win $100 among many prizes!
- No submission may violate any of the site rules.
- If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
- All submissions must follow the current theme. If any submission does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
- Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your one final single submission must also contain the following:
- Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
- The file in the appropriate format.
- You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
- Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
- Judges may not participate.
- Your final submission must be bug free.
- Teamwork is not allowed.
- Finding testers and voice actors to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
- Imports may (optionally) be used in the map, however they must all be credited. *For melee maps, imports should be of cosmetic use for terrain and decoration use only. Any playable or killable unit should not have/be a custom import.
In addition, higher quality maps will have a chance to go on competitive map pools on 3rd party leagues and tournaments.
- First Place: 30 reputation points, your entry on the award icon, a T-shirt from B2W, and $100 from B2W through paypal!
- Second Place: 20 reputation points, an award icon, and a T-shirt from B2W
- Third Place: 10 reputation points, an award icon, and a T-shirt from B2W
Judges will also receive a free Back2Warcraft T-shirt!
- Judge 1
- Judge 2
- Maybe even judge 3?
Balance Is the map balanced for a player vs player 1v1? Are the positions and distance between points of interest fair? Does the map allow the 4 races to be balanced?
Consider balance when implementing the pathing, resources, creep camps, and item drops.
50% Terrain Is the map visually pleasing in mediums of terrain, doodad placement, and overall theme? Is the aesthetic well designed but not overly obstructive? 25% Dynamic Does the map include variety throughout, ensuring the map isn't stale, repetitive, or generic in gameplay? 10% Creativity & Uniqueness Does the map bring something new or creative to the table? 15% Bugs Scores may be brought down if there are bug-like issues such as faulty pathing, unusable resources, etc -
- 75% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
- 25% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
- The contest shall begin on October 21 and conclude on November 21, GMT
Hive - How To Create Melee Maps
Hive - Competitive Melee Map (Balancing Melee Maps)
Hive - Terraining Guide Megathread
The Helper - Professional Melee Mapping Guide
r/wc3 - What Goes Into Making A Good 1v1 Melee Map?
Please post if you plan to participate! Should this contest receive more attention than anticipated, we may cap a number of participants to around 15 or 20.
One of WC3's biggest patches is live: 24 player maps, editor updates, widescreen, and more! All the information is here.Dismiss Notice
The Cinematic Contest #7 poll is up!Dismiss Notice
The Terraining Mini Contest Reload #2 - Machinery has begun! Create a scene centered around a piece of machinery. Get creative tinker boys and girls!Dismiss Notice
The Cinematic Contest #7 - Time has begun! Create a cinematic about Time!Dismiss Notice
The Concept Art Competition #11 - The Youngest (or) Oldest Warrior has begun! Create a unique warrior concept-art. Get wild with your ideas!Dismiss Notice