• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Criticism needed for my icon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hey guys, I've been around for about a year now but I still havn't contibuted to the site yet. So recently I decided to attemt somthing, here is my icon:

BTNParchedEarth.jpg
DISBTNParchedEarth.jpg
PASParchedEarth.jpg
DISPASParchedEarth.jpg

BTNParchedEarth3.jpg
DISBTNParchedEarth3.jpg
PASParchedEarth3.jpg
DISPASParchedEarth3.jpg

BTNBrokenEarth.jpg
DISBTNBrokenEarth.jpg
PASBrokenEarth.jpg
DISPASBrokenEarth.jpg

If your wondering what it is, its just supposed to be like dried and cracked earth or somthing.

I'm still new to the whole icon-ing thing; so any feedback, suggestions, or criticism is more then welcome ;)

Last edited:
Level 13
Thanks I'll do more shading. And I'll try to darken it too, but is there a tool or somthing I could use to darken the image, or will I have to go over everything with darker colours?

And about the dagger, I will try to finish it after this one. This was just supposed to be a little test of Gimp (since I just got it a few days ago) But I ended up making somthing cool out of it ^^

Thanks alot for Gimp though, I can't believe how dumb paint looks now that I have this.

Level 13
Especially the cracks, got it ;)
I'll also give them downward streaks to make the icon look more 3D

Also I did make a small dagger icon WIP on paint, so I guess its my second icon :p

And thank you for the comment and the rep :)

Level 13
Updated!
but without stones yet.

I'll do that tomorrow, but feel free to tell me what you think ;)

Its not really all too exciting. There should be something that would attract peoples attention maybe like something happening. Right now nothing is really happening and its incredibly boring. As well as being boring, i cant really see too much use for it other than maybe like a drought icon or something.

I would kind of picture a person draining the moisture from the ground for a drought icon. something like that would appeal quite well to the users. Just anything more exciting would work. just rocks and gravel is quite boring.

~Dentothor

Level 13
Thanks Peper, GT and Dent for comments ;)

@Dentothor, So is there actually any chance of this getting approved in the icon section? Or should I just scrap this version and start over? D:

Level 13
Im not sure. I would approve it for its quality, but not for its usefulness. But thats just me.

Thank you I'll take that as a compliment ^^

And yeah I guess you're right about it not being very useful because when I started making this, I never thought about how useful this would be. I just thought it would be a simple/easy to make, and I didn't see one in the icon section either so I just made it.

Level 21
The top reminds me of a map for some reason and it looks good now man.
Looks great for a quest on some dirt and a collection quest.

Level 13
Updated!

But I have my doubts about this one, do you think its better or worse then the previous?
And should I either go ahead with making the stones or instead make mini cracks?

Level 4
The 3rd one looks pretty good actually. You could try making it a bit more desaturated/witeish. When sandy, clayey earth dries most of the places it becomes white.

Look at these pictures:
http://www.rainforestpublishing.com.au/international_images/Atacama Desert.jpg
http://www.kued.org/uploads/photos/29_bigstockphoto_dried_earth_250490.jpg
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_0zuV68V_j1g/R9bka0lT3tI/AAAAAAAAAHE/IJJ6ut5a-s4/pics+125.jpg
OR, you should make it reddish, so it stands out that it's not ordinary sand.
OR, you should make it brownish and you got dried earth which is created when some really wet area dries out.

Something else: Make sure you don't make the cracks totally black to avoid the icon looking cartoonish.

Otherwise, nice work, I like the icon. :)

Level 13
@ELFoglalt, thank you very much. Your advice and those pics were very helpful.

@GhostThruster yeah I saw that too, it looks kinda like The Thing's skin.

feature_739_story.jpg

And thanks everyone I'll keep improving this until it looks good enough to be uploaded in the icon section ^^

Level 13
Agreed I'll get rid of the round looking edges, and put smaller cracks everywhere.
Is there a way to delete burn/dodge after you've drawn it in? Or do I need to highlight it or somthing to cancel it out?

Level 13
Really? I've read a few icon tutorials, but never a skinning one, lol. Its just my style of drawing I guess. I hope it dosn't look too bad.

Also this next update is taking ages.
I'm re-doing the edges, and the surface of the ground.

Level 10
Really? I've read a few icon tutorials, but never a skinning one, lol. Its just my style of drawing I guess. I hope it dosn't look too bad.

Also this next update is taking ages.
I'm re-doing the edges, and the surface of the ground.

You see, he means mostly it still looks a little 2d instead of 3d. I suggest you to make it look like it has a 45 degree perspective, or less, because right now, it's like 90 degree, you know what i mean. Skinning mostly is like that. You make it not from perspective, but from the 90 degree angle.

Level 13
Yeah thanks guys for the tips, I know exactly what you mean. Although I'm not sure if I can do it with this icon, because if you look closely at the first version it was 100% 2D because it was meant to be at an angle from directly above. But I've leaned alot more these past few days, so I won't make another mistake like that again.

So I'll try my best to change the angle, but I can't promise it'll work.

Level 13
Thanks for the idea, I might actually do that since I have found the tool that changes its perspective. I'll also change the concept from dried up ground, to a blade in the ground creating an earthquake. But of course this might take me a while, since I don't have much time these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.