• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Housing need ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I've seen this done in LOAP's with stone walls and door gates.
I've seen this done in Dawn of the Dead with crates.
I've seen this done in other games with just houses.
I've seen this done as simple area blocks.
I've seen this done as walled off caves.
I've seen this done as seperate plateaus.
I've seen this done as teleport to/away points.
I've seen this done in Empires with fences.
I've seen this done with house Doodads.
I've seen this done in Castle Battle with complicated doors, moats, bridges.
I've seen this done in Dirty Deeds as houses that just take your character into the building itself.

I want to do something original, that allows for a combination of beauty and utility. Part of me I think, would love to see the character walk up the path into the home and then have the camera switch around to the back and then you could see the inside.

I suppose you could say I want a doll house sort of view. Where I can see the outside, and the inside and be able to interact with both.

The only ideas that ever impressed me were Castle Battle and Dirty Deeds.

Level 24
There is a campagin which I dowloaded of the Hive (i think) a while back called Joe's something or other (not actually called that) which If i remember correcltey was kinda like that. I'm not sure but it might be worth looking at. I'm not really sure what you mean besides that. . . so could you clarify please.

Level 5
I think you are talking about Dark Deeds, not Dirty Deeds, am i right?

As for an original house idea:
Perhaps you could make the house a regular building on the map, but give it an inventory, inside the inventory, you could put furniture that would appear inside the house in a predetermined space. (Ie: fridge goes in appliances spot). Then each piece of furniture could do something. (Ie: Oven cooks items to make stronger items, Bed restores mana and hp on use, fridge can store items and has a small regeneration aura). This could allow for alot of customization with the house, and it would be fun for the player.

Good luck with your map.

Level 9
Dark Deeds, yes, for some reason my old guild slipped in there. :)

Interesting idea on the loading and items part, I'd like it but I want to keep this open for more ideas.

Hmm more elaboration...

I want a new way of setting up houses (homes) in game. I want to give customization on a degree not seen before, or not seen often enough and do something different to give a unique flavor to the map. Something not commonly done with so many copy cat, carbon copy again maps.

The thing I don't want to do is take a commonly used idea, copy it, and place it in my map. The map and game are both unique and original and I plan to see that it is always as unique and original and playable as possible.

I've been playing custom games on battle.net for only 3 years now, but I keep seeing the same ideas copied, copy-cat-ed, sometimes they work, but I really want to give players something original, challenging, easy, and fresh.

I like the inventory idea, I think I may use it as an advanced housing system that is optional to each individual player. But I also likely want to place a region of some kind for the inside of the house, with build areas for workshops and otherwise needed in the game.

I am really not good at this, so I guess I need to request submissions for homes, home design floor plans. Once I figure out how much space I have to work with on each, and everything that will be needed. There are so many half-formed ideas I have, I don't even know if a third of them would work and where do I even ask about that stuff?

I want the game itself to be very multi-faceted, but easy enough in the basics for the average beginner to grasp, but also with many easter eggs I want to put toys in (nothing to unbalance, but just to add flavors and seasoning)- an advanced housing system, for the more advanced players to enjoy and spend time with, ultimately the goal is to keep the game being hosted and re-hosted as hosts explore every different facet available in a wonderful game.

I know it's going to be hard, difficult, I'm going to be pulling my hair out and asking myself why I even bothered to start something like this - if I can't enjoy it because by the end of it I'll know the system so well that it will not be fun for me to play.

I hope by the end of all this I'll have something I can be proud of and say, Look I did this, I had a lot of help from others, but I did it, and it's not a solo thing, it can be solo but it also can be multi-player because I balanced it out.

Sometimes I seem to be in a hurry, but that's only because there is soo much I want to put into this map, and I don't want to spend weeks upon weeks worrying over one particular system. I'd rather ask for help where I know I need it and get everything to work as it should, so I can move forward to the next major task.

Level 4
Use "Arcane Pen" or something like that object's pathing, it's a square with empty space inside. Now, your character just needs a trigger to move in that empty space in there. Then you can live in there. Win?

Level 12
This might sound a bit weird.... but....

People make a vertical Wall
-when wall is complete, Make 2 other walls on each side, have mini walls to create a doorway, then add a door graphic and attach "Roof" graphic

Add doodads inside the house to your hearts content...

THis can mostly be done though Orc Battle Standard or triggers
But houses won't be destructables.... more like neutral passive....

And if you want a unit to be followed inside... just set the camera behind them when they get within "250 distance" of a House...

Level 12
the camera will go through the wall and all you will see is the wall. so this is harder than it sounds.

Are you talking to me?
Because My way of doing it doesn't have units going through walls....
It follows them from the back third person...

THeres no restriction to it...

Level 9
A home like this? Part facing bottom is 'doorway', are you suggesting setting a flying roof overtop the building perhaps as a unit with a high height point that never moves? This would mean though, that someone would need to hack a roof model for me, if we went with it. Then perhaps find the skin for a house and set it up so it takes to individual wall sections. I like where this is going.
__
|^|

Level 12
A home like this? Part facing bottom is 'doorway', are you suggesting setting a flying roof overtop the building perhaps as a unit with a high height point that never moves? This would mean though, that someone would need to hack a roof model for me, if we went with it. Then perhaps find the skin for a house and set it up so it takes to individual wall sections. I like where this is going.
__
|^|

Kinda.... COnsider this...

SOmeone makes a Pole Model that is as high as the walls with to attachment points (top and bottom)
-Bottom obviously is on the ground
-They use the orc battle standard ability to attach the roof to the top

THe actual doorways are based on a few things
-Create Miniwalls that a just big enough to allow a door between them
-Create four walls around a house... Delete any one of the walls... Replace it with two mini walls with Attachment points (Left side, Right side, NOrth Side, SOuth side) and attach a door to the appropiate side of the wall...

The Door will have no collision size... so.... you wouldn't have to worry about it....

Are you considering destroying these houses?
-If so.... this might make things a bit more "difficult"/Interesting to trigger and set up....

Level 9
N...no they're meant to be permanent bases for each player where each player can place items and organize themselves in. I had the idea of a cottage, perhaps even a private second floor or basement.

This is a game that involved collecting, sorting and crafting dozens of items from recipes.

I was going to make it possible for players to steal items from one another, but only outside of the cottage. Inside the cottage/home was going to be considered 'safe' and untouchable.

But I was going to make the cottages/house small so there's only so much someone can safeguard in their house. If there's no room, and stuff starts spilling outside, then there's no room and it's fair game.

Status
Not open for further replies.