• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Strange model/Magos behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hello,
I use Blender to create models of a more complex structure ( 1500+ vertices), can I use them in this range ( ~1500 vertices) safely ?

However, the actual problem, even simple models show up two problems.

First of all, the model resulting from the converter http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/3ds-obj-mdx-converter-1-2-a-62950/ is very small, is seen in the image:

attachment.php

So, the solution, scaling it. But, scaling it with a factor of 25-50 will show the model in the size I wish it to have, but afterwards, after closing and wanting it to open it again, this error pops up and the model is not opened:

attachment.php

How can I fix/ avoid this and what is the problem ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
I use Blender to create models of a more complex structure ( 1500+ vertices), can I use them in this range ( ~1500 vertices) safely ?

However, the actual problem, even simple models show up two problems.

First of all, the model resulting from the converter http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/3ds-obj-mdx-converter-1-2-a-62950/ is very small, is seen in the image:

attachment.php

So, the solution, scaling it. But, scaling it with a factor of 25-50 will show the model in the size I wish it to have, but afterwards, after closing and wanting it to open it again, this error pops up and the model is not opened:

attachment.php

How can I fix/ avoid this and what is the problem ?

The model is very small because the "Unit (CM, MM those kind of things)" are difference, sometimes the angle is difference too, because of the axis they use are difference, just tweak it with MDLVIS :p

What do you use to scale? Better use MDLVIS, but if thats how you do, I'm not sure why is crashing then :/ never saw that error before
People might know how to fix this/understand i think maybe will be ghostwolf, blinkboy or RETERA methink

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hm, I wonder whether I can linearize the units somehow, so Blender and Magos share the same one. Could someone please so kind and explain me how I would do that ?

I tried it with Mdlvis ( no manipulation with Magos before, directly after conversion), but it shows me an instant error message and keeps loading and eventually crashes

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hm, I see, I will try to make it the same size, thank you.

However, this doers not solve the problem with the Mdlvis crashing. How do I create the UV Mapping if I cannot enter Mdlvis with the model ?

I can also create the textures via Blender, but I don't know how stable the export with corresponding textures is ( in the converter).
I will do some testing and hope it does support texture export appropriate.

EDIT: nope, seems it does not support texture export from Blender

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I don't have it, sadly, but that's kind of you, thank you!

Here is the test model I used.

Additionally, I tried to save the model as mdl, as I can open the mdx once with Magos ( or always if not saving the model via Magos), but after saving it in Magos it will become bugged, as described in the first post.
I got another error message though, if trying to open it, something like 'expected "}", but got " " instead in group "Geoset"' pops up.
I scanned through it in the note pad, but there seems no '}' to be missing.

Level 29
I converted that to Mdx with the tool you mentioned, and it produced a lot of garbage data, so no wonder it makes Magos crash.
Just from a quick glance, the face indices are all wrong (seems about a third of them point to vertex 65535, which doesn't exist), the texture path contains garbage ("Textures\CityStructures.blpø=ÈQ€¨ü€Ý™9xóæÍéÕüi13û3óýjµZ<þüèáÇ÷V«Õâæv®Ãz½Þ¾}ûöôɓ''ëõz;3ïþ¾èG3sxƒ»_ׇ™9Ù½Îfæ÷«ç½ñsn£ó¹¼ë¿Ì̯33xeÆÿå}¦IENDw=ä{H{"), the extents are all messed up, and so on...
Basically this converter is bugged.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Thank you for having a look on it!

The texture path wasn't set anything, but something else came to my mind:

Blender uses rectangles/squares for these, how are they called, vertex groups ?
Whereas Magos, Mdlvis and Warcraft use triangles, don't they ?

Could this be the reason why it does not work ? As the programs are able to 'read' the model, but not to set up/save it, as it does not fit their standards/ requirements ?

Level 29
The model you attached has only triangles, so perhaps Blender's obj exporter triangulates automatically (otherwise, you can also manually do this in Blender).
It doesn't contain texture coordinates, though, and that might or might not be an issue for the obj->mdx converter.

Also I noticed that my previous message causes the page to be bugged, a part of it isn't showing...

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I added them manually within Blender now and using 3ds for the converter. In the converter thread is stated that the obj conversion is bugged, only the 3ds seems to work.

However, the same problem remains, even when using triangles.

How can I fix the texture coordinates ? I am not very familiar with this kind of manipulation, I am not sure how to add them in Blender, I will google a bit, but is there another way once it already is mdx, using Magos or converting it to mdl and note pad ?

I added them manually within Blender now and using 3ds for the converter. In the converter thread is stated that the obj conversion is bugged, only the 3ds seems to work.

However, the same problem remains, even when using triangles.

How can I fix the texture coordinates ? I am not very familiar with this kind of manipulation, I am not sure how to add them in Blender, I will google a bit, but is there another way once it already is mdx, using Magos or converting it to mdl and note pad ?

do you not wrap in blender? or you done it in Mdlvis?
I can teach you how to wrap in blender if you need

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I hoped to only create the geosets in Blender and do the rest in Mdlvis instead.
I did not touch materials or textures at all in Blender, I just created the grid and hoped it works..

Thanks Hayate, that would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.