• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

want to start modeling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I want to change some animations of wc3 models and have spend ages trying to find out what i need and how to use it. But i cant even simply import a model to gmax. Is gmax the best tool if i only want to add some animations btw?

What i did:

Download Gmax
downloaded NeoDex at
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...odex-2-0-wc3-modeling-kit-3dsmax-gmax-115767/
and also downloaded all the attached files. (I have no idea what to do with those files btw)
I ran the script of NeoDex and i do have a menu option on top of the screen next to help. (I have no idea how to make use of NeoDex)
I downloaded ImportMDX and i succesfully installed it and I followed these steps:
Step by Step
1. Download importmdx.mse
2. Cut and past importmdx.mse to scripts folder in Gmax
3. Run gmax and click on Maxcript top right.
4. Click on Run Script...
5. Select importmdx.mse and open
6. Restart Gmax
7. Run Gmax and go to the ultilities tab (top right, looks like a hammer)
8. Click on the Maxscript bottom at the way bottom
9. Scroll down and click on Run Script
10. Click Run script and select importmdx.mse and open
11. Click the arrow in the drop down menu and then select Kingping.Mdx Importer.
12. Scroll down and click on importer MDX button
13. Select model and open

All 12 steps worked, but at step 13; when i open a model it says that its not a MDX file

I tried to use mld to 3ds converter that i download from http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/3ds-obj-mdx-converter-1-2-a-62950/
But it crashes.

Could anyone please suggest me what to do?

Level 22
Hi,

I don't know Gmax at all, i personally use Mdlvis and War3ModelEditor.

These 2 tools allow you to work directly with .mdx format (no import/export).
Mdlvis is perfect for animating and modifying mesh and wrap.
War3ModelEditor is good for materials, bone hierarchy and particles.

So if you want to modify animations, i suggest Mdlvis.
You will have to stick to linear interpolation though because the tool is not made to do bezier interpolation easily, but the difference is often hardly noticeable.

Level 7
mmm somehow another model i did the same thing with did showed up in game:)

I still have 2 questions:
1. Whats the difference between global sequence and create sequence?
I just dont understand what he ment by:
"Two other buttons : Create and Global. Create allows to create (of course) a new sequence, defaut is with 90 frames (really fast, it’s invisible ingame). So you will have to add more frames.
Global allows to add a global sequence (a way to get a sequence used whatever the unit is doing, other words: a sequence used in any sequence)."

2. How do i hide an Arrow within a sequence, so i can make it look like the Arrow is fired?

Level 22
1. A "global sequence" is a loop that runs independently from "normal sequences". That means this loop will play forever and in all sequences. The same bone can not be moved in both global and normal sequences.

2. You have to animate the "alpha" (0:invisible, 1:visible) of the arrow geoset within a "geoset animation". As far as i know Mdlvis can not handle that, but War3ModelEditor can.

Level 7
ahh oke thanks:) i managed to make a shooting animation with the arrow fireing off!

So a global sequence is usefull for things like a flag or cape that is always waving?

Status
Not open for further replies.