1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Help with import/export, MDX, 3DS, GMAX

Discussion in 'Modeling & Animation' started by SD_Ryoko, May 11, 2005.

1. SD_Ryoko

SD_Ryoko

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I did some research and I can't seem to find the right answers to my questions. It seems a lot of information is outdated. I'm writing a small compostion on modelling.

1. Whats the difference between the two?
    impexpmdx.ms
    impexpmdx.mse

2. Now, the readme says this does bones and animations. Does it do it for GMAX? Does it even work in GMAX?

3. What is this one? Is this totally outdated, or do we need it for GMAX?
    importmdx.mse

4. What is 'Fadi's importer, mentioned by Cookie? Is that outdated? When do I need it? Is it better than IMPEXPMDX?

5. If you have higher versions of 3DS, and cannot use the art tools, can you still export MDX files? Which script?

6. Whats the highest version of dex exporter script? Is that still the one used?

Last version I have is .185

7. If you have the Blizzard art tools, do you need any of the export scripts anyway?

Much apreciated. I really hope someone around here can help.

2. eXciTe

eXciTe

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I cannot respond to the all questions ... i am still on beginning of modelling :)
    But for sure if u import with impexpmdx.mse you cannot export with art tools.
    I think there are importers/exporters for higher version of 3dsmax.
    Fadi's importer , imports mdx with animations ( impexpmdx.mse imports mdx without animations) but when i try to export mdx using art tools or impexpmdx its not working. So for me fadi's importer is totaly useless- maybe on some persons its working .. dunno
    Whell i hope i responded you some questions and clarify some things. :wink:

3. SD_Ryoko

SD_Ryoko

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Well, that gives me about two clues.

But if I was to make a writeup for

GMAX scripts and,
    3DS scripts

I need much more. I know someone must know, but it seams wc3campaign forums are dead ghost towns, and here people don't want to tell

:(

4. eXciTe

eXciTe

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Whell there has to be someone that really knows...

5. Pike

Pike

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    You don't need any exporting plugins when you have Art Tools. I has all needed plugins for model exporting and rigging.

6. Sansui

Sansui

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Oz already posted all that is needed for gmax.

if you do not have 3dsmax 4-5 i have no clue, I think your forced to make unanimated models, by exporting as a 3d and converting the 3d into an mdx.

in other words.

3ds max 4-5 and art tools works great.
    gmax slow and requires you to find someone who knows how to do it.

7. SD_Ryoko

SD_Ryoko

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Okay! So so far:

For GMAX use the MDX Importer/Exporter 2.0 for importing models. Use Dex Export script for exporting them. The import script will bring in everything inside the model, but the animations are often incorrect.

For 3DS Max use the MDX Importer/Exporter 2.0 for importing models. Use the Blizzard Art Tools for exporting models. If your version does not support the art tools, you may want to try Import/Export MDX, or Dex Exporter.

For Milkshape, download the export plugin

8. eXciTe

eXciTe

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    The animations are not really a problem ... you can copy them again in mdl and they work fine

9. SD_Ryoko

SD_Ryoko

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I suppose so.

It looks like the firemage's bones are all above his head, and when you hit play, all the geometry went nuts.

10. eXciTe

eXciTe

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    See .. you better import without animations ...

11. Jacek

Jacek

Resources:
    Resources:
    Check for Dex exporting script. It will export from gmax to Maxscript listener. Then you just press Ctrl-A Ctrl-X change window to notepad and Ctrl-V. Repeat until you copy it all.

12. jakob

jakob

Resources:
    Resources:
    i dont know if this have anything to do with this topic but this is the only one i see so... How do i use the Gmax importing script??? i mean.. i know how to export but dont know how to import... i have Gmax and i wanna import a model.. but when i find a site with the gmax import stuff it doenst say how to use it... :S

13. Mecheon

Mecheon

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Freaken necromancer!

Reviving topics is BAD, mmmkay?