• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to export

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hey guys,sup all i recently started learning how to do modeling,and im using Gmax,on other using Scripts like Neodex 2.5,Dex,impexpmdx and all of them are import/export or import or export,but the thing is that my modeling level is increasing but i always run on a Problem,How to succsesfully export that model from Gmax,and what to do after that to make it working in WE and magos model viewer?
Please help giving rep :goblin_cry::vw_sad:

Level 15
Well ... Run any script that exports MDL files from gmax
If I remember DEX runs a very long script copy it all just the last line don't copy it .
Then go to notepad++ paste the full script text into it and save it ( Arthas.mdl ) for example
Then use one of MDL to MDX converters like Magos or MDLX if I remember
Sorry try what I said because I really lost my modelling history I rarely join here :S

If you have any problem in texture , for example we make a box in gmax , we run Dex script , we copy all text expect of last line , we paste into notepad , we save as box.mdl , I import it to Magos Warcraft Model Editor [STEP X], we save as box.mdx , but when we import to Warcraft the box looks gray or red according to team color ) , just get back to STEP X above , go to Tools => Texture Manager , double click the box texture , ( it should be box.blp or .tga according to what you did ) ... then you will see a legend table saying like this by gray color :
Nothing : 0
Team Color : 1
Team Glow : 2

I don't really remember , you will find probably the number of Team color , change it to nothing , save the model as .mdx again , I wish I helped :'(

Level 15
Okay I will tell you what to do detaily :
####################
– You Will Need
GMax (of course)
DEX Exporter
MDLX Converter and/or Yobguls File Converter
WarForger
###################
1 – Create your model

Obviously to export a model you must have a model to export so make your 3d model of whatever you want however you want. But make sure to put in bones and add a skin modifier to attach it to your model. The only GMax exporter currently is not able to export bones unless you do not name them. so if you do make bones make sure to not name the bones.
######################
1.3 – DEX Exporter :

Alright, now we’re cooking with gas. Click the hammer icon in the top of the right side menu. Then click the "run script" button.
gmaxeg..jpg
Then find the DEX Exporter wherever you saved it off to. It should bring up a window in the model name section type in you models name if you want and make sure every part of your model is selected then click "print to listener". It should take a second or two. If it doesn’t then you may have to go over the precautions again. also before continuing go to the bottom of the listener and make sure there is a section near the bottom that has a few blocks of code that say something like this :
JASS:
Bone "Bone (number)" {
	ObjectId (number),
	Parent (number),
	GeosetId (number),
	GeosetAnimId None,
##########################
1.4 – Copy and Paste :

Ok now that you have it in the listener minimize GMax create a .txt file and open it bring GMax back up minimize the DEX Exporter and click the “Open Listener” button above the “New Script” button. When the window pops up make sure its long and has lots of long sets of lines of seemingly random numbers. If it does not have these things then you have done something wrong then you will have to go over the precautions again. Now start highlighting, don’t be impatient take your time as there is a glitch that makes you only be able to select roughly less than seventy lines of code and if you mess up here you have to start the copy and paste over again, so be careful. ( U can use CTRL + A to select all )
############################"

1.5 – Setting the Texture

Ok if you have again thought you know what to do and went ahead you have probably messed up. First lets get rid of some extra lines of useless code at the top there is a block of code that looks like this
JASS:
"'DeX Version: 0.185m
"
"'DeX Version: 0.185m"
// 'DeX Version: 0.185m
Remove this line (bottom of script) :
JASS:
Export Successful!

Remove them both. Now to adding the texture. First what you want to do is think of where your texture will be relative to the model. For example if the model is in a folder called “Models” and the texture is in a folder in the “Models” folder called “Textures” than you should right “Textures/MySkin.blp” so now that we understand that lets move on. There should be a block a code near the top that looks like this.
JASS:
Textures 1 {
	Bitmap {
		Image " ",
		ReplaceableId 1,
	}
}
What you want to do is turn it into something like this , just add the texture name between the two " " ( Be aware , here the texture should be in the same folder of model after exporting )
JASS:
Textures 1 {
	Bitmap {
		Image "MySkin.blp",
		ReplaceableId 1,
	}
}

###################
Now you have applied the texture to the model and it should all work except one little detail. This is still a .txt file so save this file off as a .txt file with the name of your model as is name. now click save as again this time use the same name but instead of having it end with .txt change that to .mdl and in the “save as type” box below the name change that to “All Files”.
#################"

You're 99 % done , the import step is :
How to convert :

1-Import the mdl file to Magos WC3 ModelEditor , directly save as an mdx
OR
2- Use Yobguls File Converter or MDX Converter as an alternative

Now you can read my first post of this thread if the modelhas wrong texture .
Source (Read more here): http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/3d-modeling-tutorials-282/gmax-exporting-tutorial-95857/

Status
Not open for further replies.