• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help with import/export, MDX, 3DS, GMAX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I did some research and I can't seem to find the right answers to my questions. It seems a lot of information is outdated. I'm writing a small compostion on modelling.

1. Whats the difference between the two?
impexpmdx.ms
impexpmdx.mse

2. Now, the readme says this does bones and animations. Does it do it for GMAX? Does it even work in GMAX?

3. What is this one? Is this totally outdated, or do we need it for GMAX?
importmdx.mse

4. What is 'Fadi's importer, mentioned by Cookie? Is that outdated? When do I need it? Is it better than IMPEXPMDX?

5. If you have higher versions of 3DS, and cannot use the art tools, can you still export MDX files? Which script?

6. Whats the highest version of dex exporter script? Is that still the one used?

Last version I have is .185

7. If you have the Blizzard art tools, do you need any of the export scripts anyway?

Much apreciated. I really hope someone around here can help.

Level 10
I cannot respond to the all questions ... i am still on beginning of modelling :)
But for sure if u import with impexpmdx.mse you cannot export with art tools.
I think there are importers/exporters for higher version of 3dsmax.
Fadi's importer , imports mdx with animations ( impexpmdx.mse imports mdx without animations) but when i try to export mdx using art tools or impexpmdx its not working. So for me fadi's importer is totaly useless- maybe on some persons its working .. dunno
Whell i hope i responded you some questions and clarify some things. :wink:

Level 18
Oz already posted all that is needed for gmax.

if you do not have 3dsmax 4-5 i have no clue, I think your forced to make unanimated models, by exporting as a 3d and converting the 3d into an mdx.

in other words.

3ds max 4-5 and art tools works great.
gmax slow and requires you to find someone who knows how to do it.

Level 6
Okay! So so far:

For GMAX use the MDX Importer/Exporter 2.0 for importing models. Use Dex Export script for exporting them. The import script will bring in everything inside the model, but the animations are often incorrect.

For 3DS Max use the MDX Importer/Exporter 2.0 for importing models. Use the Blizzard Art Tools for exporting models. If your version does not support the art tools, you may want to try Import/Export MDX, or Dex Exporter.

For Milkshape, download the export plugin

Level 2
i dont know if this have anything to do with this topic but this is the only one i see so... How do i use the Gmax importing script??? i mean.. i know how to export but dont know how to import... i have Gmax and i wanna import a model.. but when i find a site with the gmax import stuff it doenst say how to use it... :S

Status
Not open for further replies.