• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Arena] Carrier Combat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carrier Combat
Information
Carrier Combat is an arena based map designed around construction and use of Carriers . features include:

- My own Turret Mounting System (Released Here)
- On-screen UI for setting up and buying new turrets
- Able to save 5 schematics in-game (does not cross over maps)
- Purchasing turrets
- Multiple chasis
- Multiple arenas
- Intelligent combat system (destroying enemy turrets, sheilds, and more)
- Many modes
- On-the-fly team selection
[tr]
Carrier Setup Menu

Close

Default look

Changing Carriers

Buy Menu default

Buying Turrets

Adding Turrets

Changing Setup

Saving

The default look is what the carrier setup menu defaults to whenever you press the "new" button on the menu and when you access it for the very first time
172730-albums3370-picture68458.png

Changing carriers is rather simple, first: you select the "configuration" button, and then use the arrow keys next to the image of the blacked out carrier, to change which one you have equiped, available slots and information, will automatically update when you have done this
172730-albums3370-picture68460.png
The buy menu default is how the buy menu looks whenever you enter it for the first time, or if it's the first time you entered it after pressing new without selecting a turret
172730-albums3370-picture68463.png
When you select a turret, the data concerning it appears on the screen, also, if you are currently able to buy the turret, the tick box will brighten, and you will be able to buy it, when you run out of funds or reach the turret limit, it will automatically re-darken and you'll become unable to select it
172730-albums3370-picture68464.png
When you enter or return to the configuration menu for your carrier, the last turret you had selected in the buy menu will automatically be the one you have selected in the configuration, this also works vice-versa, you can then use the + and - buttons to add and remove these turrets from your carrier, if they do not fit or you do not have any in stock (or have none on the carrier in the case of removal) then the respective button blacks out and they cannot be selected anymore
172730-albums3370-picture68465.png
You can equip many of different types of turret, each with their own individual weight and stats they give to your firepower meter (though that is mostly reprisentational, as each weapon has a different manner of attacking) this is one such demo setup
172730-albums3370-picture68466.png
You can save any set up you are currently using into a schematic, you are given 5 slots to save schematics, so try out different styles without worrying about losing your favourite one
172730-albums3370-picture68606.png
upon loading, all the data of a previous schematic (including order of how the turrets were placed onto your carrier) are restored and theycan be used again
172730-albums3370-picture68607.png
Turrets

Close

Machine Gun

Ripper Sheild

Rock Crusher

Eliminator Missile Launcher

Unexpected tab 6

Smog Spreader

Meatapult

Seeker Missiles

Flame ballista

Air Catcher

Anti-Air Gun

EMP

High Velocity Cannon

172730-albums3370-picture69070.png
172730-albums3370-picture69071.png
172730-albums3370-picture69072.png
172730-albums3370-picture69073.png
172730-albums3370-picture69073.png
172730-albums3370-picture69074.png
172730-albums3370-picture69075.png
172730-albums3370-picture69076.png
172730-albums3370-picture69077.png
172730-albums3370-picture69078.png
172730-albums3370-picture69079.png
172730-albums3370-picture69080.png
172730-albums3370-picture69081.png
[tr]
Arenas
Coming Soon
Progress
- Carrier movement system 100%
- Turret system 100%
- Turrets: 12/18
- Carriers: 3
- Save/load 100% (may change some things later though
- Console 100%
- Terrain 0%
- Lobby system 0%
- Game modes 0
[tr]

Current situation
- Upgrading Turret System physics for projectiles
- Adding more carriers
- Finalising Turret setups (menu)
- Waiting on terrain (more terrainers for additional arenas appreciated)
- Example carrier screenshots (in-arena)
- Starting work on lobby system
- Adding more information to this post
[tr]
Questions/Suggestions and feedback welcome
[tr]

Last edited:
The preload exploit would be a bit redundant in this case - as you won't be passing stock of turrets nor unlocking anything, but, I may introduce that at some point, if I change my mind

Some will home-in, others will not, but all missiles will be dodgeable in one way or another, turrets will not have hitboxes, but "critting" will damage a random turret subtracting health and possibly destroying it (this is because some weapons would just be better if you could focus-fire certain turrets off) some turrets more likely to crit than others

interesting in movement, in what way? with projectiles, or with the carriers themselves?

Level 25
interesting in movement, in what way? with projectiles, or with the carriers themselves?

The carriers.

Make movement more like wheeled/tracked vehicles, using turn rate and acceleration. Maybe even a reverse.

If you're going to give some weapons limited firing arcs, this would make it a very tactical and positional game.

Make movement more like wheeled/tracked vehicles, using turn rate and acceleration. Maybe even a reverse.

Yes I was planning to do this

rulerofiron99 said:
If you're going to give some weapons limited firing arcs, this would make it a very tactical and positional game.

Yes, I was also planning to do that

Level 6
You can't rotate 120 degrees.. it means it hard to move anyways..

Anyway i have a funny problem with that map mass destruction..

When the game starts.. i move my tank using arrow movement.. then i got stuck up in the edge!.. i can't move anymore.. if the map don't use it maybe i can get unstuck!..

i don't play it after that..

Also... make sure always look for FPS.. even it has a GOOD FEATURES.. but the FPS is very very low..it will be unplayable..

You can't rotate 120 degrees.. it means it hard to move anyways..

Anyway i have a funny problem with that map mass destruction..

When the game starts.. i move my tank using arrow movement.. then i got stuck up in the edge!.. i can't move anymore.. if the map don't use it maybe i can get unstuck!..

i don't play it after that..

Did you try reversing? XD That particular map was very high quality and myself am rather fond of it, I never had such problems XD

neo_sluf said:
Also... make sure always look for FPS.. even it has a GOOD FEATURES.. but the FPS is very very low..it will be unplayable..

I'm well aware, I'll be making a point to make sure that framerate drops aren't an issue - I'll be substituting the target finding (one of the "heavier" elements to the public turret system) for a manual targetting system, to make the game both more controllable, and lower the work on the processors

Level 6
Well that's good..

Please make it an interactive one... i mean that players can still surprise even they play it for the long time..

DON'T MAKE IT A PREDICTABLE GAME!... like you kill the enemy and you can't expect the abilities he will use and if you win or not..

It is really boring if you expect you win and you will already know what will be the actions of the enemy...

"Surprise" players? I never been surprised by any game, so I'm not sure what you mean there

"Predictable" ? Humans cannot be predicted, since players will be choosing their carrier loadouts themselves, how is it going to be possible to predict accurately the other player? especially when nobody has any advantage over another player?

I know you're saying to not -make- it that way, but I don't even see how I would make it that way even if I wanted to

I think you missed out on the concept a bit, you -buy- turrets to have attacks, the speed depends on your carrier, the range depends on which turrest you bought, and the driver? what? the only thing on your list which isn't an automatic given, is the colour, and to that I'll give you a maybe.

Anyway "Turrets" section added (in progress, currently 12/18)
added "Progress" section so you can see just how far I am with the project

Level 20
Sure.

At the beginning or at some point in the game players are able to merge or fuse two turrets together, completely changing the turret's appearance and stats. Every fusion has a different outcome for different turrets, and this will cause great curiosity for the player.

It would be fun to put some kind of catch, but I'll leave that up to you.

hmm, prehaps, though first things first I'll get the base map "done", then I'll think about those ideas, granted I have 18 turrets already, combining them (assuming every turret could be combined with any other) would put it up to 153, which is certainly an interesting idea, but a bit difficult to balance and then apply it to all the menus (for adding.removing the turrets) I'll keep it noted and see if I can't think of a simpler/easy way to do it (though there's already at least a few hundred thousand different possible setups you can have with just those 18 turrets, so 153 turrets would mean a few hundred million

Level 20
hmm, prehaps, though first things first I'll get the base map "done", then I'll think about those ideas, granted I have 18 turrets already, combining them (assuming every turret could be combined with any other) would put it up to 153, which is certainly an interesting idea, but a bit difficult to balance and then apply it to all the menus (for adding.removing the turrets) I'll keep it noted and see if I can't think of a simpler/easy way to do it (though there's already at least a few hundred thousand different possible setups you can have with just those 18 turrets, so 153 turrets would mean a few hundred million

It may be hard to do it and balance the turrets, if it were you alone. If you gathered up a team i'm sure you could speed up the process.

Level 14
"Predictable" ? Humans cannot be predicted, since players will be choosing their carrier loadouts themselves, how is it going to be possible to predict accurately the other player? especially when nobody has any advantage over another player?

Oh yes they can. Especially if balance in the game is not properly implemented. It's like tank wars, everyone stars by buying the same turrets even when there are 5 diffrent ones on that price. Players are so predictable when they get better in a game doing the same game-wining moves again and again (or picking the same heroes,tanks,w/e that are a bit over the edge than the others), that you would be surprised.

Be sure to take a lot of time into balancing. Usually people release maps and months after that they re-release them with balance fixes. That's why beta testers are a great asset anyway.

Good luck on the project. That mount system really looks ssssweet.:thumbs_up:

Status
Not open for further replies.