• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

The carrier ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Well i checked the carrier spell in the maps section and although i can respect the effort, i find it falls short of the real deal.

I was wondering a way to make a spell like that work for multiple carrier units. How would i work this? Basically i want that the carriers have the ability on them to build ships and hold them and can hold up to a max set number (not allowing building units afterwards untl 1 dies and needs to be replaced) in the carrier ship and the ship itself has no attack but whenever it get's by enemies, it sends out all the units at an interval to fly around and attack until they take damage and try to return or all the enemy units die. The fighters units would fly similar to units with locust centered around the ship and would only attack a few times before breifly returning and being repaired.

I've tried making a Locust Swarm ablity with units who didn't have locust but alas they don't move in the same fasion. and don't return after perhpas this would be fized.

So any suggestions would help. Again if you don't wanna read any of this, just think of the carriers in Starcraft and that's what i want to try to make

Level 11
I give you a single tip: JASS! With JASS you can obtain the carriers and have them all belong to the carrier. BUT, keep in mind that there are a lot of conditions to make them move appropriately. And yes, I know that spell is very very bad but it doesn't break the rules in any way...

~Daelin

Level 10
Well i'm not really gonna learn JASS for a while so... yeah. What i figure is that i'm gonna have to use a lot arrays 1 for the number of ships, another for the units per ship and another to assigne the ship to the specific carrier.

The only thing i'm confused with right now is being able to check which of the variable ships is doing what and to link the other little ships to that ship. Thing is is there a way to determine the array of that certain ship.

I'm stuck on the actions

Ie this is what i'm kind of miffed about right now ( haven't checked into arrays a whole lot so yeah...

anyways my problem.

Priodic event
Every 0.1 seconds in game time.

Conditions, equal nil

Actions

Pick From every unit of type CARRIER for X player
and do actions

action: Pick every unit within X position of Picked unit and

If/then/esle function

If picked unit equal to enemy blah balh

Then Spawn 1 Fighter for player.
Set unit as Unit variable [carrier varaible [array]][array(this is)
to check which fighter number belonging to this carrier for that player it is)]
Order[the figheter unit] to move to (random spot within 300 of random units within 750 of [correpsonding Carrier] matching (unit is an enemy of player X)

Order all units of type Fighter to move to....and so forth this is where it get's tricky when they return by determening the ships that do return...

Perhaps i should give up...

If only you could make units in a Locust swarm ability targetable because that would be perfect. Meh

Level 3
even the unit-training-by-unit (i think of the method vex uses) needs good understand of jass. i cant think of a way to control them by a 'normal' GUi trigger with array, movement is to complex for non-jass, so learn it or let it be~~

Level 11
Try my JASS tutorial. Though its not plain simple, if you are patient enough and read it repeated times ,you will get it. JASS is not complicated, and all I find JASS useful for is instanceability and leak blocking. BUT, with MUI you can obtain a lot of stuff. Some spells cannot be obtained but with MUI effects. And through MUI, I don't exactly mean having the spell being cast by more than one unit at the same time. MUI can involve much more than that.

~Daelin

Status
Not open for further replies.