• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gaias 1.2 ... and yes, I'm not joking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
The thing is that people have very little imagination these days. Every rpg DOES NOT have to be like Wow to be good. I wont tell you that you can just go play Wow if you want Wow's gameplay. Thats obviously a stupid argument, since you play Gaias because you like it. Still i think that this feature doesn't fit into Gaias.

Almost every game you see these days are copy's of 6,7, 15 year old game designs put into a new dress, which makes all the kids happy, but it's not very original and doesn't have potential to become the classic games that are now re-released, like Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition for example.

Level 8
And how is damge meter matched to Wow?
damge meter is neutral, just addon to WoW, witout it You have to ask other about their dps, but... not everyone have same, not everyone do hes best, not everyone is truthful.
I find expanding damge meter from self to group a good thing.
Especialy if it's possible to add group threat meter, so ppls can see who is next in agro line, who have to slow down or who needs agro misdirection.

I like Gaias for it's oryginal climat and I look forwar for more chalanges.

Level 13
I'm with Hawajska on the fact that it's a useful tool for monitoring your teams dps, so you can help people learn how to work their heroes efficiently, or kick off lazy people.

But I couldn't really give less of a shit if something like this was implemented, it's a WC3 rpg Hawajska, we don't need all the bells and whistles to get the job done. Lazy people are usually easy to point out after a few runs you can see the change in the dps quite easily.

Level 8
Yesh, but with group damage meter u can check out things(like buffs) without asking others about their damage.

Also group damage meter alow us to see group agro status witch is usefull.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Both of you guys' rhetoric serve to prove my point.
Listen to yourselves: "You can check out things without asking others about their damage"
"It's a useful tool for monitoring your teams dps, so you can help people learn how to work their heroes efficiently,(..)"

you guys are only talking about numbers and being effective. Personally i want to have FUN in a game. It is fun to play Gaias, and maybe fail a bit sometimes, when you make a bad move - of course not in the excessive, fail, fail, fail, but simply a few times now and then, due to people not being concentrated.

I'd much rather have to use my brain - we have one for a reason - than look at some board, which tells me everything about what i have to do. You guys only talk about being effective like robots and i don't see where the fun is in that.

Level 9
I personally would find a team dps meter useless, changes really nothing about the gameplay, it would take up space, that could be used for better content, then one stupid dps meter.

Level 10
I been out of town for the past week for the holidays visiting family and I come home to a BETA version testing out. I can't explain the level of my excitement ^__^ I look forward to playing it in a few minutes.

Level 13
Both of you guys' rhetoric serve to prove my point.
Listen to yourselves: "You can check out things without asking others about their damage"
"It's a useful tool for monitoring your teams dps, so you can help people learn how to work their heroes efficiently,(..)"

you guys are only talking about numbers and being effective. Personally i want to have FUN in a game. It is fun to play Gaias, and maybe fail a bit sometimes, when you make a bad move - of course not in the excessive, fail, fail, fail, but simply a few times now and then, due to people not being concentrated.

I'd much rather have to use my brain - we have one for a reason - than look at some board, which tells me everything about what i have to do. You guys only talk about being effective like robots and i don't see where the fun is in that.

So you're getting your back up because putting a dps meter into a game would eliminate all possible fun? That, is a load of shit my friend.

You don't HAVE to look at the board, and a dps meter would simply assist players who do see efficiency as part of the fun of a game, a challenge to make the most of their hero rather than auto attack shit. Just because there might be a few numbers on the side of the screen doesn't mean you'll have to follow everything that's there. If anything it could be a command like -teamdps to allow players who DO want to monitor it the opportunity to, then everybody wins.

Your point is moot, just stop lol. If one goes in, it goes in, it won't change much, if anything it adds something to the game, stop complaining.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
... This is an RPG, not number game. Half the fun of playing coop games like Gaias Retaliation is to cooperate with a combination of skill and intuition. Having all numbers displayed to you will remove this feeling of control - everyone will just focus on the highest number all the time, instead of learning by doing.

Because of the above. And in case Vestra doesn't get my point - people don't have to use the meter, no, but it's like telling teenagers in the West that they shouldn't drink, when there is a liquor store on the other side of the road - the meter WILL be used.

Level 8
I have strange feeling that You judge Yourself rather than Vestra.

-You said dps meter is not nessesary cos u prefer to play and enjoy game while not looking into dps meter witch already exists.
-We said it's good to have group dps meter to check out new stuff, advice others and have better control durning gameplay, such as monitoring agro for example(especialy usefull for double tank fights"

While our argumentation is logical and does not affect Your gamestyle I think it's rly pointless to argue about "why cars have mirrors if some drivers prefer not to use them..."

Level 13
So using the meter would be a bad thing why?

Look, Jumbo, you're going on about some point, unless you spell it out, you look like you're talking shit, really. So far the only negative thing you're putting across is that you don't want this rpg to be like other rpgs, which is frankly, irrelevant, as a mechanic that benefits gameplay is certainly worth considering for many, many other more important reasons than that. Nearly all rpgs share something in common, a simple dps table does not take away the fact that we're still using pretty much 80% of the basic wc3 mechanics in this rpg.

Something visual, like a damn team dps table, won't change shit, it's not going to destroy your precious rpg and make it into another WoW. The community is smaller, and more involved in this rpg, it doesn't all come down to who deals the most dps but to some players, it could help. I don't see something like this doing damage so before you call people ignorant, please, make a solid case.

I mean, Hawajskas point about monitoring agro for 2 tanks already sets the field pretty well for discussion, that there is a point worthy of supporting this idea.

If you don't have anything logical man don't bother, as our dear friend doubtful would say, in a more aggressive and inaccurate paragraph.

Also, if people kick you out of games because you're not maintaining a high dps, they're dicks anyway, and probably playing the wrong damn game. You can't avoid that kind of dickheadedness by simply refusing to put in something useful.

Level 13
I do get that you, like the rest of us, want to support this rpg Jumbo and you don't want to see anything bad happen to it but please, so we can have a proper discussion about this without any argument, explain to us why you think something like this would be a bad idea.

Hell, it doesn't even have Zwiebs approval yet but I'm warming up to the idea myself, it could be effective in certain late game situations where monitoring team agro is important.

Level 9
Now theres an idea, a team aggro bar, where someone who types in a certain think, like -qi or something, gets to see everyones aggro... so the tank can tell the zerkers to gtfo if they get too close to taking aggro..

Level 11
Now theres an idea, a team aggro bar, where someone who types in a certain think, like -qi or something, gets to see everyones aggro... so the tank can tell the zerkers to gtfo if they get too close to taking aggro..

The regular threat system is fine, back in WotLK I was maining tank in ICC and I had 3 different types of addon threat systems out of the ordinary one. The most important one had the same function as the one in Gaia except it has a different interface and it does not show my teammates threat, however the main function of it was to give me statistics on how much threat I have and how much I need to acquire aggro.

The beginning of D3 is perhaps the only part of Gaias that I have felt problems with keeping aggro on everything since there are so many creeps running around that I dont know if they are focusing me, my team or the npcs. But that is mainly because my friends don't like threat control and are always pushing it. :xxd:

Level 8
I think all that was to said was said about dps meter, now it's up to Z.

I got another idea that makes me smile... and I'm interested in your opinion about it.

I was thinking about extra options in dungeon circle: normal/hardcore, 3/5/10 players.
depending on what u pick, monster level increases and so their stats on hardcore mode also some bosses recive extra skill.

harder contents means better % of drops(for hc mode) and more drops(for bigger grp size)

how u like it?

Level 5
I think all that was to said was said about dps meter, now it's up to Z.

I got another idea that makes me smile... and I'm interested in your opinion about it.

I was thinking about extra options in dungeon circle: normal/hardcore, 3/5/10 players.
depending on what u pick, monster level increases and so their stats on hardcore mode also some bosses recive extra skill.

harder contents means better % of drops(for hc mode) and more drops(for bigger grp size)

how u like it?

Your too fast xD, I was gonna say this, but not 10 man mode - 8 man mode, only because of the lag and the hassle to find 10 people (but only d3 & d4 should do this in my opinion or a whole new dungeon/raid :eek:).

However 10 man mode can be done, if you make a party system? 2 teams, so when you do -qi you only see your party? (sounds like a lot of coding though lool)

But for every dungeon should be a Heroic mode, even d1.
d1 = 30
d2 = 40
d3 = 45
d4 = 50

This will be a good idea to keep the whole of Gaia useful and not forgotten? I kinda miss killing bandits XD

Level 8
There is planty ideas to keep playing and having fun even when u get bored of engame contents.

pvp in arena, team battles and I was thinking about something new, like dota style
2 hills, each with flag blue and red, from each hills some creeps appear every 30 secs. guards vs bandits.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I'm sorry for the delay, but when I finally fixed all the bugs yesterday, the first of my guests for the new year party showed up already, so there was no chance to implement the mercenaries, which I definitely wanted to implement for 1.1M. I can't tell when I got the time to finish them. Possibly not today, maybe tomorrow. Until then, please stay a little bit more patient.

Level 18
I'm sorry for the delay, but when I finally fixed all the bugs yesterday, the first of my guests for the new year party showed up already, so there was no chance to implement the mercenaries, which I definitely wanted to implement for 1.1M. I can't tell when I got the time to finish them. Possibly not today, maybe tomorrow. Until then, please stay a little bit more patient.

well the last day i had free was today

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Maybe we didn't sacrifice enough blood to master Z

EDIT: Squire is ready and waiting for the new mercenaries

scqja9.jpg

Last edited:
This isn't really a "new" issue, but I would like it if you'd extend the beach of the first area a bit. You've got some open space there, anyway, and it would really make grinding for low levels and pearls less annoying, since new players wouldn't spend as much time doing nothing as they wait for crabs to respawn. If you extended that beach a bit, even if you only managed to add in one more crab pack, it would make it seem a lot less boring at that level. I also would like to see the level 5 lobster back; I remember in the very early version, there used to be, before the bridge, two level 3 crabs and a level 5 lobster. They are now just 3 crabs. It'd be neat if that level 5 lobster was put back into that spot with them. Just for the variety, and also because players wouldn't want to only fight level 3 crabs at that point anyway, when they'd gotten that far.

There are way too many level 1-2 wolves, all over the place. Level 1-2 is a pretty short level range, and they give basically no experience to players who've reached level 4. It would be nice to see the wolves that are in the spider area be higher levels, maybe level 2/3 rather than 1/2. Not important, but it would really make the game more enjoyable for lower level players.

It would be nice if there were some level 7-10 creeps... There's just a huge level gap where players don't have anything good to farm besides d1 creeps which are overpowered when you have only one or two players. It would be nice to see you add just one group of enemies somewhere in the first area that are level 7/8. Maybe, rather than a random drop chance for the sealed scroll quest, have a level 8 bandit mini-boss on the beach. Not as strong as a normal boss would be at level 8; rather, give him something like 900 health, with a couple of level 7 bandits at his side. Since he'd be weaker than most bosses, his gear drop would obviously not be as good for his level compared to other bosses, but he'd make the game more interesting.

The cloud in the water is way too bright. Looks like snow. You should make the cloud thinner, and more transparent.

The first two suggestions aren't anything new, but the last one is specifically for this version.

I like the weather, day time filtering, and new terrain, but sometimes it seems like the lightning flashes are red, black, and pink... Should be white or very light blue.

The mercenaries seem pretty well balanced and I like them, but the shaman one is a bit triggerhappy on his heals, wasting all of his mana when we have 90% of our health.

I haven't gotten far enough to try the talents yet but I'm really looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.