• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rivers of War (Temporary Name)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
A map that i decided to do out of no apparent reason :S

What is this?
This is an altered melee, with alot of things drawn from Dawn of War.
Its a 3v3 game, you cannot choose a faction, since that would screw up the story line.
the two factions are 3 unique (this might change) Imperial Legions, and 3 Demonic intruders that will choose which Chaos Diety they worship.

Objectives?
There are several ways to win this game. The primary objective is to simply wipe out all Imperial forces, or convert them all (later discussed). Chaos can also summon Greater Daemons after 45 minutes in the game, which can lead to great slaughter among Imperials. Another way to win is to capture all Strategic Points and hold them for 3 minutes. This is an extremely hard way to win since there is atleast 1 strategic point inside the enemies base.

Income
Your source of Gold and Lumber (might change) are Strategic Points. Each strategic point you hold gives you 10 gold and 5 wood for every 10 seconds.
Strategic Points have around 1000 hp, but you capture them once you lower their hp to 200. You can upgrade the armor and health of Strategic Points at your HQ.

Buildings and Units
Workers build buildings, and from there you train soldiers. However, if you are one of the Legions, you start out with a squad of 5 Legionaries and 3 peasants. If you are Chaos, you start out with 8 weak Skeletal Warriors, and 3 Cultists.
Units are trained and ordered in Squads. Whenever you train a unit you can come out as 1 powerful unit, or as many as 10 weak units. Squads move together, and whenever one is ordered to attack, the rest attack aswell. This lets you handle large armies with relative ease, but slightly reduces micromanging.

Imperial Legions
The Imperials have less troops than Chaos, but their early-mid game units are slightly stronger and better than Chaos units. They can be however, overrun by massed Chaos units. Imperials also start out in Citadels. Citadels are built upon higher ground and are heavily walled, which make them difficult to assault. However, holing up for Imperial can be a bad decision since Chaos can summon Greater Daemons after 45 minutes. During the beginning of the game, Legion players must decide what type of legion they want to be. Either: Purist or Radical. Purist legions believe that the only way to banish daemons is for humans to banish them themselves. Radicals believe that anything and everything should be used to banish daemons, including daemons themselves. Purist legions are always allied together, but if a Radical legion summons a daemon to assist them, Purist legions will automatically unally their Radical brethren. Imperials can also submit to Chaos, losing alot of their powerful units, but recieving demonic "gifts".

Chaos
Chaos as mentioned, have weaker but more numeroues units in the early-early mid game. These may include Lesser Daemons, Cultists, or even Skeletons. Chaos forces do not start out in any fortresses,but 1 starts out in an overrun Village, 1 starts out in a forest, but the last one starts out in the mountains. Each Chaos player must choose a Chaos diety, and that affects which units they can train, and also global buffs.

Terrain
The terrain is NOT symetrical. Although the Legion Citadels may be similar, the rest of the terrain is different. Terrain includes mountains, villages, rivers running through and out, possibly ruins, and several other feautres.

Models
Although i do not need more models at the time, i would appreciate if some one could make these:
A unit similar to a Grey Knight from Warhammer 40k
A Standard bearer, probably an Imperial Legionare holding an Imperial banner, but it must not move when he moves.
An alternate Standard bearer for Chaos

I am the only one working on the project at the moment, but if you would like to help, pm me. Please post suggestions to the map in this thread.

PICS:pic with lines= green areas= entrances
red areas= Strategic points (income sources)
yellow areas=hostile humans
blue areas= primary building areas
the first 4 pictures are off the overrun village where player dark green will start at. note that i havent completely finished it yet, ive gotta add some more corpse doodads here and there. those walls arent walkable
the last pic is of red's mountain Citadel. the citadel has 3 entrance, and there are alot of those statues embedded into the cliffs. red starts out just beyond that third statue.
im waiting for my walls that some1 is making for me, when those arrive, they will be on the cliffs.

the shrine of the emperor is actually inside blue's base. blue himself starts out in the highground next to the waterfall.
the Steel Steps are the only way to blue's citadel, making blue on of the more easier to defend players.
the last picture is of a one of the strategic points scattered through out the map, with a powerful skeleton guarding it

few more screenshots.

Squad Screenshot. The units with ! are the leaders. whenever a leader dies, another unit takes his place. Leader abilities include: Formation (Circle, Line, Default), Stop Commanding/Start Commanding,Recruit, Dismiss

Attachments

• Overrun village.JPG
    Overrun village.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 330
  • Last Stand Barracks.JPG
    Last Stand Barracks.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 315
  • Urban Last Stand.JPG
    Urban Last Stand.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 317
  • Entrance.JPG
    Entrance.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 269
  • Mountain Main Entrance.JPG
    Mountain Main Entrance.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 267
  • Emperors Shrine.JPG
    Emperors Shrine.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 225
  • Great Waterfalls.JPG
    Great Waterfalls.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 201
  • The Steel Steps.JPG
    The Steel Steps.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 208
  • Tomb of Xavier Shandras.JPG
    Tomb of Xavier Shandras.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 201
  • Arcane Observatory.JPG
    Arcane Observatory.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 199
  • Emperor's Blood Training Grounds.JPG
    Emperor's Blood Training Grounds.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 205
  • Abandoned Lookout Tower.JPG
    Abandoned Lookout Tower.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 169
  • Squad.JPG
    Squad.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 244
  • Town of Thanor.JPG
    Town of Thanor.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 187
  • Minimap.JPG
    Minimap.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Level 7
Ok, umm, my buddy made a dawn of war like map with a moral system and everything. It ended up sucking, wanna know why? Because even though the map was high quality, it waspointless to play because you could just play real dawn of war for 20 bucks...

Level 7
Ok, umm, my buddy made a dawn of war like map with a moral system and everything. It ended up sucking, wanna know why? Because even though the map was high quality, it waspointless to play because you could just play real dawn of war for 20 bucks...
Why pay 20 bucks though? Anyways, Are there going to be any Screenshots avaliable any time soon? I would like to see the map's terrain :D

Level 2
Well does sound intresting but why do you get gold and lumber for income in the 40k you should rename the resources something else just my 2 cents.

Level 2
Well see you confused me as you said you needed a grey knight model like in warhammer 40k

Level 22
I love the idea of squads of units.. may I suggest the unit trained be the "leader", and all others be "Not leaders". Let all but the leader have the locust ability, so they cannot be selected, and follow the orders the leader is given. ^.^

Really seems to be a cool project.. Would enjoy playing this on BNet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 8
hmm i quite like the sound of this (good screenshots) I feal like rating what I have seen so far xD

Terrain (4.5/5)
Doodads (4/5)
Use Of Imports (5/5)
Uniqueness (4/5)
General Coolness (5/5)

So I give that a 22.5/25 Pretty good xD

On a more constructive note:

I like the look of ur map, ur terraining skill seem to be pretty good also ur use of custom models is well placed and you seem to be fair at Triggers. Although obviously I have not played the map I can safely say I am looking forward to trying it so keep up the good work

Can I also ask where I can find this squad system ur tlking about ?

Status
Not open for further replies.