• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Next Texturing Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Apheraz, the only reason to have a month's time in the first place is because people need to find time/realize the contest has begun, not because it takes a month to make a skin. Still, that is exactly the idea.. and it has been repeated a few times by now.

Level 30
It's a nice thing to have something different rather than usual "Current Season & Theme Events this month" type of competition thought.
And I guess that the month is there to give time to late joiners, as well as air that will not try to choke you with deadlines.

Anyways, I got a weird and unique idea for (maybe) one of next Texturing Contests. It's going around the theme of gender change; competitors are supposed to make a skin that will transform a male character to female one, or vice verse. This would be quite fun and interesting to get along, since there are not many options of hiding female cleavage, or making the harsh male character elegant.

Level 38
Anyways, I got a weird and unique idea for (maybe) one of next Texturing Contests. It's going around the theme of gender change; competitors are supposed to make a skin that will transform a male character to female one, or vice verse. This would be quite fun and interesting to get along, since there are not many options of hiding female cleavage, or making the harsh male character elegant.

I've had a lot of fun doing skins like that, generally converting a model into something completely different yields some pretty cool results, for both doing it myself and seeing what other people come up with.

Would probably need to add something in there were genderless units are omitted though, it's not you can really tell what the gender of skeletons, pretty much all of the animals, and elementals is. Except maybe the black stag male and chickens XD

Level 30
Well, it's easy with genderless units. Just put Tavern and a Mirror on same distances from that unit, and watch where it goes. Male ones will go towards Tavern, female towards Mirror. Thought this experiment definitively has some issues, since I don't know how heterosexual Warcraft is x)

sounds good. i will get the ball rolling
the%20hive%20workshop.png

texturing.png
contest.png
number.png
2.png
1.png

img49ad2a6e12d68.jpg

Boobs
Texture something so it has boobs. It was actually called gender change but we all know people are going to prefer skins that have boobs on them. so might as well call it boobs.

Level 38
@Pyramidhe@d: Lol

pyra has a point. how will you put bewbs on a flat chested male and how will you make them less noticeable on -POINTY TRAFFIC CONE- female unit?

I think Pyra was saying in a rather comical fashion that the sex change would predominantly be male-->female, which I can't say I'd disagree with (mostly due to the lack of female characters in WC3).

There are a lot of ways you could do the conversion though (see picture below).
Generally I'd say finding a feminine male or masculine female model would be a good start, and just attempt to change them into a race with the opposite aesthetic (elves tend to have a feminine look, orcs are pretty masculine, so changing a male elf into a female orc shouldn't be much of a challenge). Utilizing bulky clothing can help, so can going for more unusual body/age types. From skinning the Orc Warlock I'd say it's a pink outfit away from being a convincing Grandma.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 133

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Bleh, looks like we'll have 5 entries once more, but well, as soon as 67chrome finishes his judging I'll get the next one up. Creep Warlords it is.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Your judging is inconclusive (and short). We could just as well go by the public poll. No offence.

.. Translated: I'm hoping 67chrome will provide more criticism and put the contestants apart.. or actually, I'm hoping he will close the gap between, well, M0rbid (and I) and the rest. And I'm secretly hoping he'll make me the winner, of course, so if it's inadequate, I'll find ANOTHER judge!1

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I don't understand that last comment, Apheraz. Anyway, the creeps are generally the neutral hostile units found in melee maps. Faction units are not creeps. Critters are not creeps either.

if you want me to be a harder judge just say so D:
Yeah, I want more criticism, and preferably larger spans of points between the entries.. unless they really are equally good. Firstly, you should scale your points out of 100, because I'll be multiplying it up to 100 anyway. When you give scores out of 6/8/6, there's not going to be a whole lot of room for differentiating. I mean, you've ended up with shared first, shared second and a third. Your comments and scores are also somewhat inconsistent. For example:

"although the creativity might be lacking"
Concept and Creativity: 5/8

"I love the creativity in this,"
Concept and Creativity: 5/8
Taken out of context, of course, just for this purpose. I know there's a concept post as well, and you probably deducted points for concept on the lower one and added on the upper one, but you didn't say anything about the concept in the comment for the upper one. If it's easier, split it in two and give points out of 4 (or, rather, 20) for concept, and do the same for creativity - feel free to list them separately as well to clarify - and then add them together for this post. I will split the posts up more for the coming contest(s), and I will take the blame for making it like this in the first place.

Level 38
If we do one model I vote for the Watcher. Or the priest is actually a pretty good one to. Both are very generic and have a relatively forgiving wrap. The satyr's face is pretty hard to work with IMO, though everything else is decent.

I still like the idea of turning a skin into 2 units as well though from the themes looked at for the last contest. I'd say no more than a 20% alteration from one form to the next required.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Yeah, I still like the two skins, one model theme. I've never textured the priest, watcher or satyr, though, so I'd be inclined to try those as well.

And as far as creativity go - the most creative results come from being the most limited. If everybody work on the same model, we're going to see a lot of creative. As opposed to ripping from other games. Still a long month to discuss this, though, so keep the ideas coming.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Judging could be done any time now and the results will be up shortly after. Decide the theme for the next contest now so we don't get a delay.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Judging could be done any time now and the results will be up shortly after. Decide the theme for the next contest now so we don't get a delay.
Haha, bloody optimistic. Oh well.

Evidently, we do not currently possess the necessary judging capability as is crucial for the success of a contest. However, I would like to bump this regardless, in hopes of a brainstorming session commencing. Either way, the next contest will not start before we've found judges. I don't want to see another one of these contests with a month's half a fucking year's delay on the results.

* Shameless copypasta of what I posted in the CAC Suggestion thread.

Level 38
Environmental changes!!! I want freaking snow orcs!

If you want snow orcs you might as well set the theme as "Winter", I can't think of many environmentally based outfit changes beyond bundling up for cold (Unless you rely heavily on modern apparel). Having snow-covered, icicle ridden buildings could be cool with such a theme as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.