• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modelling Contest #17 - Theme Poll

Read all entries below before voting!!! (ONLY VOTE if you will participate)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Modelling Contest #17 - Theme Poll

Read all the six themes before making your vote. If you're not going to participate, or you can't model at all, do not vote, please. Only vote if you think that with that theme you could take part on it, or if you are strongly interested on the contest's output.

images

The contestants should create a model composed of 2 or more independent elements. That means that they should act separatedly in some of their animations. A goblin sapper, or a mortar team is a good demostration.

200px-GoblinSappers.jpg
180px-WC3Mortar_Team.jpg

WD_30.jpg

05%20BATS%20_vampire_bat_swarm_hg_clr.gif

images

The contestants are meant to create a model in the Steampunk style.
Steampunk_by_flyingdebris.jpg

images

The contestants will make an unit model that fits one of the Warcraft III races. Including the melee stardard ones, the campaign races and also the creep races. The unit should fit Warcraft style and proportions.
A goblin slinger, or a nerubian warrior would be examples.
racas-warcraft.jpg

180px-Naga_female_and_male.jpg
180px-Murloc.png

180px-Ogre.jpg
180px-Satyr.png

If any unit in the WARCRAFT III belongs to the same race as your model, your model is eligible. (Arakkoa, Sporeling, Gnomes and such, no.)

images

The contestants should make a flying unit, as a gyrocopter, or an airplane, or a hawk.
images
images
images
bald-eagle-attack.jpg

images

The contestants are supposed to model an unit that gives a scary feel to the player.
images
images
images

images

The contestants are meant to model a Fantasy Hero that would fit the Dungeons and Dragons atmosphere.
images
images
images
images
images

Last edited:
Level 51
well, I know I've said this before, but I really, really think the squad one would be the most interresting one, where you need must creativity, both in model-originality and in animations, for example :

watch until 1:30 to see the things I mean...

I know I voted for 4 things but for pointing out the thing I would vote if it would be only one choice.

Level 26
SQUAD- this is a stupid theme, no one is going to finish their model because its hard enough making one model, but now you're asking someone to mesh and animate 2 or 3 models in 1. So you'll either make an incredibly simple 3 unit model ( like 3 bats flying together) or you'll bite off more than you can chew and want an extension or 5.... which of course will give trax and mr.bob aneurysms.
STEAMPUNK- meh, im always up for some good ol mechanical mayhem, but.... well, i guess its alright.
WARCRAFT- ? im a little confused on this theme, i wouldnt really consider this a theme since it usually fits under most if not all of the other themes.... this is really more uf s sub-category.
AIRCRAFT- I give this theme a hearty "fuck yea!" Aircraft would be a kickass theme and you guys know it.
TERROR- Meh, i dont really see what you could do with this, we'll just have a bunch of skeletons and werewolfs and halloween decorations as submissions.
FANTASY HERO-BLEAGH! I WILL NOT SUPPORT A THEME THAT ENCOURAGES MORE TAVERN-MAP SYSTEMS. goddamn, we already have a fucking billion of those goddamn map, and your just asking for a billion more to be made if you pick this theme :/

A kickass theme? Aircraft needs basically no animations at all. What is kickass in that?
I SUPPORT AIRCRAFT FOR A MINI-CONTEST!!!
lol anarchy, please state valid arguments before saying this in big red font. We just had a contest in the same guidelines as aircraft, for PEOPLE WHO CAN'T ANIMATE. But Aircraft is even more ANIMATION-LESS friendly. Keep your animating handicaps to a good mini-contest. God dammit, aren't we ever gonna have a real contest going on?

AND ALSO you saying that the contest output for the Fantasy Hero is not welcome is RIDICULOUS!
YOU are the one who said that you didn't want useful outputs, but competitive themes.

Level 26
squad models aren't actually that difficult. I would count my puppetmaster as one and it took around 3 weeks to create it, with breaks of some days, because I did not wanted to work on it :>
People were able to spend around 2000-3500 faces for a simple tank model so I guess it wouldn't be a problem for them to create a squad model of 2-4 models with 800-1200 faces each which would end to a face count of 1600-4800.
Aircraft is simpy the counterpart of the tank contest and this does not fit right now as it is way too similar.

squad models aren't actually that difficult. I would count my puppetmaster as one and it took around 3 weeks to create it, with breaks of some days, because I did not wanted to work on it :>
People were able to spend around 2000-3500 faces for a simple tank model so I guess it wouldn't be a problem for them to create a squad model of 2-4 models with 800-1200 faces each which would end to a face count of 1600-4800.
Aircraft is simpy the counterpart of the tank contest and this does not fit right now as it is way too similar.
Yeah, Squad isn't all that difficult. Squad models would bring up innovative models with cool concepts, it would be just awesome.
(Also, you should consider that the squad parts have less detail)
The thing is that when people want things, they dramatize everything in order to manipulate facts and force others to be the closest possible to agreeing with them. :con:

And, yeah, sadly, if Aircraft is chosen, we will have the awful Tank Contest sequel coming up. There's nothing that can be done against that, I guess. :sad:

Level 26
no :(

You guys dont understand, just because something doesnt "require" complex animations, doesnt mean you still cant give your model complex animations. By making the contest more accessible, we aren't restricting contestants, we are allowing more contestants the chance to enter. Just like what happened in the tank contest.

Modeling contest numbers 15, 14 and 12 all had only 6 contestants, and 13 had 8.

But number 16:Tanks, had 10 contestants. More contestants breeds more competition.

:D hence, why aircraft is obviously the best contest

Level 31
I guess if it was a flying unit I could make a steampunk balloon model that morphs into a steam powered submarine with a hanger...

No doubt, the mods would probably heavily restrict what you can and can't make again.

Please let us do morph anims this time... I want to make something morph so badly...

EDIT: Btw, why does it matter if we do a contest that we have already done?

Level 31
From what I remember, last time is was against the rules altogether... Some crap about it not being fair to people who suck at animating.

My gosh, come to think of it, the last contest was a long time ago...

But, as long as I can make morph anims, I'll be ok. Wether they get counted and judged doesn't really matter to me.

The animation is a highly important factor in-game. If you make an outstanding model and give it shitty animations, it is really disappointing and... shitty.

Some contests ago, if you check the entries, all the winners had really interesting and well-executed animations, of organic/complex meshes, and cool effects and such. Why did we downgrade the contest's complexity so much?
(People may say that those contests were elitist in the results but the truth is that all of them tend to be like this, including the last one, no unknown modeller won.)

I say that we should have 2 modeling contests going on. Those for the ones who want to make simple models, with a cool mesh and texture and don't have animating experience...and another one for the people who want to go big, and make some full-fledged model with a cool mesh and texture AND complex animations.

Level 26
-HappyCockroach, I agree that an excellent model with simple animations is an utterly disappointing failure.
-And Pyramidhe@d, i do not think we should give less points to animations.
-HappyCockroach, Im sorry, but hosting 2 modeling contests at once is pants-on-head retarded. Its hard enough to host one contest and GET JUDGES FOR ONE CONTEST. but to have 2 would take DECADES! Seriously... just a terrible idea

NOW THEN, seriously listen up... i am going to slap down some LOGIC ony'all

We have to strike a delicate balance between getting people to participate, and then getting QUALITY submissions from the participants.

SO!, we have to make the contest ACCESSIBLE to more people, which means lowering the MINIMUM requirements, but we have to KEEP the MAXIMUM requirements HIGH so that the contestants will actually put effort into their model.

Do you see now?

By increasing the RANGE, we can include more people and increase competition, and everyone knows that increased competition is always beneficial to the consumer (in this case, the people who want quality models)

This way, with LOW MINIMUM requirements, we get people interested, they start to think "oh i could make something for this, it doesn't seem too hard"
But then they see that there are HIGHER MAXIMUM REQUIREMENTS and realize that if they want to win, they need to put more effort into their model.

SO! we should allow models with very few (but still some) animations, but then keep the standards high in the judging to
ENCOURAGE QUALITY MODELS!

So to pyramidhe@d's point, complex animations will not be a necessity, but they will earn you more points in the judging.

Level 15
-HappyCockroach, I agree that an excellent model with simple animations is an utterly disappointing failure.
-And Pyramidhe@d, i do not think we should give less points to animations.
-HappyCockroach, Im sorry, but hosting 2 modeling contests at once is pants-on-head retarded. Its hard enough to host one contest and GET JUDGES FOR ONE CONTEST. but to have 2 would take DECADES! Seriously... just a terrible idea

NOW THEN, seriously listen up... i am going to slap down some LOGIC ony'all

We have to strike a delicate balance between getting people to participate, and then getting QUALITY submissions from the participants.

SO!, we have to make the contest ACCESSIBLE to more people, which means lowering the MINIMUM requirements, but we have to KEEP the MAXIMUM requirements HIGH so that the contestants will actually put effort into their model.

Do you see now?

By increasing the RANGE, we can include more people and increase competition, and everyone knows that increased competition is always beneficial to the consumer (in this case, the people who want quality models)

This way, with LOW MINIMUM requirements, we get people interested, they start to think "oh i could make something for this, it doesn't seem too hard"
But then they see that there are HIGHER MAXIMUM REQUIREMENTS and realize that if they want to win, they need to put more effort into their model.

SO! we should allow models with very few (but still some) animations, but then keep the standards high in the judging to
ENCOURAGE QUALITY MODELS!

So to pyramidhe@d's point, complex animations will not be a necessity, but they will earn you more points in the judging.

Hasn't it usually been that if participants that don't have the skill to meet the requirements from one field take resources from the warcraft files? I mean if you have a competition that requires a great deal of skill in all elements of modeling and you know you can't texture for grandma's sloppy excrement then you're quite likely to just use or edit a blizzard made texture. Same goes for models and animations, it's more or less a starting point for inspiration for the participants.

By lowering the bar dramatically i believe you're leaving people with too much choice and a flimsy grasp of how to make the model appear in the style of blizzard's artists. Instead of lowering the bar, how about a theme that encourages people to use the in-game resources better? I'd imagine the results would be a lot nicer...

EDIT: I could be wrong, or repeating what has already been said. Just a disclaimer.

Last edited:
Level 25
The animation is a highly important factor in-game. If you make an outstanding model and give it shitty animations, it is really disappointing and... shitty.
yes
Why did we downgrade the contest's complexity so much?
In the last few contests, I saw that people just want to make mechanical units/buildings. That doesn't require complex animations (like IK).
Because they still use milkshape 3D and other small tools.
I say that we should have 2 modeling contests going on. Those for the ones who want to make simple models, with a cool mesh and texture and don't have animating experience...and another one for the people who want to go big, and make some full-fledged model with a cool mesh and texture AND complex animations.

I say we give Pyritie the power to chose the themes for all the contests.
and not some group of newbie's or model moderators to chose their themes over the public poll..
Pyritie could make himself a list or something.

or

Start modeling contest in Starcraft section and the things will change.
The animation newbie's will stay here and the pros will switch to Starcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.