• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling/Texturing Contest, Teams of 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

Red

Level 26
Pretty straightforward idea, but I had no idea what to file it under, so here it is.

Very few modelers have the skill or time to make textures for their custom models, and teamwork is never allowed, so we get stuck with the same in-game textures getting recycled over and over again.

So Mr. Bob and I thought, why not have a modeling/texturing contest with teams of 2 - one modeler, one skinner?

The only downside I can think of is that teamwork generally tends to be a bitch, even in small teams of 2, and I wouldn't be surprised if such a contest would have very few completed entries, but who knows? Maybe I'm wrong?

Thoughts?

Level 26
I WILL JOIN THIS BITCH! I WILL MAKE LOVE TO THIS CONTEST!

kickass idea, i agree with bob, this idea is looooong overdue.

EDIT: hrmm... would we classify this as a different contest type? like... "Team contest: Model/Texture"? that way we could have other team contests in the future, like "skin/iconset" or "model/herobuilder" this could be the start of some awesome new contest combinations

Level 48
If I could find a team-mate, I would definitely join. :D
And yeah btw, I had that idea too. :)

I suggest doing what they did in WC3C for their Hero Contests - one thread for getting people(and the first post will have all the people and teams, those who are looking for people etc in a table) and one thread for submissions, WIPs and discussion.

Level 13
Hmm, this sounds so awesome. I think I will not be able to participate, but I would love to see the results.
Two minds, one creation. Epic.

Level 26
hive olympics just failed, because there was too much wotrk to do. I mean: 3 models in 1 month?? D:
But this contest wouldn't fail, because you can usually create a good mesh in a week without any problem and the skinner wuld still have around 3 weeks left for the texture.

And there are always extentions :D

Level 15
This scares me. If one of the two happens to pull out the other is screwed over, and people pull out. It sounds good in theory, and is definitely worth a try, but it still gives me chills to think that someone could spend hours to days working on something spectacular only to have it go to waste on a poor complimenting piece, or to have it never see the light of day because of another person's laziness/personal commitments (splitting hairs for most internet users). If anyone can reassure me i would be more than happy to withdraw my criticisms.

Level 26
your "criticisms" as you call them are valid points, but that is inevitable with working in any kind of team.... everyone has to pull their own weight in any kind of team.

My concern is that all the great skinners and great modelers are going to team up to create something fucking incredible. While the less experienced modelers might get stuck with the less experienced skinners....

In this way, the skill gap will be even larger.

And to go back to Devine's comment, I think that it would make sense if it would be an optional team contest. IF a user is confident in his/her skinning and modeling abilities, why not let them do both? If they want to, one user could make a custom model and skin to go with it. I dont see anything wrong with that. Or if they can do both, they can still team up with someone else if they feel more comfortable in one area.

Level 23
But wouldn't this destroy the idea of a team or cooperation contest again?

Anyways, I agree on the other aspect of imbalancing the whole contest idea. One solution, that I personally maybe dislike would be: Making a list of modellers and a list of texturer that agreed to participate and then the teams will be chosen randomly. However this idea has some major flaws in it I think.

One solution, that I personally maybe dislike would be: Making a list of modellers and a list of texturer that agreed to participate and then the teams will be chosen randomly. However this idea has some major flaws in it I think.

I'm not sure I'd still join if this is the way we do it. Mainly because of two reasons: I might be put in a team with a modeller who likes to make models which require textures I do not wish to make. (I might have to make a gory zombie texture, for example, which I hate.) And perhaps more importantly, I might be put in a team with someone who'd rather have had another texturer.

I think we'd have more participants and more finished entries if we can choose a team-mate who we feel comfortable with.

Level 38
This sounds cool. I'd so join this.

The theme should be relatively open-ended for something like this though. Something like the night elf race; encompassing the elves, chimeras, giants, treants, anceints, faerie dragons, dryads, demons, vengeful spirits, etc. Something were everyone could find something they'd like to do ;)

[11-48-29] HappyTauren: I say we do that bitch

Level 25
This is a lovely idea, I couldn't agree more with that.
But as stated above, the less experienced in both texturing and modelling wouldn't have chance.
Just imagine 67chrome and General Frank (or two other great skinners/modellers, there’s many) working together. Sure, you guys would do something awesome, but the less experienced would give up when they realize that they can't win.

However, this doesn’t have to be such a bad thing, ‘cause beginners that really like what they are doing will try even harder to make better meshes and textures. But the half-slacky people wouldn’t stay for long :p

Edit
Happy, yor picture from lolhax ain't working D:

Level 23
Just look at skinning or modelling competitions, all users take part no matter if they have a chance to win.
For example texturing contest #17 I took part knowing I would not have a chance to really compete, but made it for fun and practice. And many users do it like this I assume. SO I see no problem in that.
And it's not like there were only two or three teams of awesome ressource makers around here.

Level 8
I personally think doing the "warcraft race" theme would benefit us more. I personally enjoy making custom races that have the same race within it, if you know what I mean. No orc/troll/tauren, just orc, just troll and just tauren. So, I think that theme would work best. It's just how I feel. =]

Red

Red

Level 26
In a perfect world, random pairing would be a great idea, but sadly, there's just too many things that could go wrong with that in addition to the pitfalls we already have in a team contest.

As far as theme goes, we should keep it sweet, simple and broad. I'd say just do: a hero for any of the playable races. Lots of room for creativity, while still maintaining a standard to judge all the entries against one another, i.e won't have to compare team A's building against team B's flying unit.

Level 25
I support this idea because I suck at texturing. I would like this to be a mini contest (with a small theme). Or a big contest, for example, a custom Wc3 hero (a hero that actually fits to Wc3 universe not some future space shit) or something like that.

the pairs hmm yeah we all could sign in and let some computer randomly chose you a partner. But then what happens if your pair gives up? :(

Level 26
Choosing your partner would be better in that IF your partner chooses to give up, then you have no one to blame but yourself for choosing him/her. It would be much more unfair if you were randomly given a partner who gave up.

And again, i also think we should allow singles if they want to do both.

And a wc3 hero contest theme would be perfect

how will the reward be distributed then? if a model wins with sheer awesomeness of its texture but has a really shite anim or mesh, isnt it unfair?
dont get me wrong because i love the idea of co-op but i am just stating a possibility.

also, people who have the slightest chance of giving up half way shouldnt even put themselves available for the competition.

Level 26
Well, since this is a cooperative contest, its either both contestants win or neither do. That's the point. So if it has a 100% awesome skin but a 0% shit model then it gets an averaged 50% altogether.

I dont know if you guys want to split the reputation reward or have each winner get the full 50rep etc. though

Level 11
I'm sure that having a partner would (me for example) make people finish their models/skins. I wouldn't want to disappoint my teammate.

I'm join, but my lack of animation experience would probably lead to ruin, so idk who would be crazy to team up with me.

I'd totally join it!

I think the most fun part would be the concept creation, since brainstorming would be 2 times more efficient :p
And the amount of work would be fairly balanced:
3D and 2D artists brainstorm -> 2D artist creates a concept art -> 3D artist creates a mesh and a wrap -> 2D artist creates a texture -> 3D artist gives it animations
awesome !!!1111 :ugly:

Level 51
I'd totally join it!

I think the most fun part would be the concept creation, since brainstorming would be 2 times more efficient :p
And the amount of work would be fairly balanced:
3D and 2D artists brainstorm -> 2D artist creates a concept art -> 3D artist creates a mesh and a wrap -> 2D artist creates a texture -> 3D artist gives it animations
awesome !!!1111 :ugly:

Totally agree :D

Status
Not open for further replies.