• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Beyond the Throne: Tides of Darkness

Hi Kam, I played the first versions last year, I dont like it much, but I played these lastversions: the map really became great! Thats the best wc2 to wc3 conversion I ever played. Congrats.
and I have some suggestions:

1) What about giving Knights the Cleaving Attack ability instead Footmans? So, the Footies wold act as a defensive unit (you can make a research called Mistic Armor that would increase footies armor by 4, or just give Taunt ability). In that way, Footmans would act as defensive units, and archers and knights as ofensive ones.

2) Dont you think the starting current food to much? You should make it smaller, so people would have to build more farms.

3) The only thing I disliked the map is the heroes. First, shouldnt I able to choose them? Why when I start playing, I have a pre-placed hero? (PS: I already checked if, the option to start melee maps with pre-placed heroes is off. It was off, but it still started with pre-placed heroes.) Second, looks like you have made some fusion betwen the wc3 and wc2 heroes, like, I started with an archer hero called Sylvanas. Shouldnt it be the legendary Alleria? Also, you need to give the heroes some spells.

4)Zul'Jin - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site
If you decide to add Zul'Jin, use this model, it does kick ass =D
There were also a Wc2 Orc Barracks by Red XVII, but I cant find.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=49455&prev=search=Male%20Archer&d=list&r=20
You can use this for Elven Archers
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=48316&prev=search=Male%20Archer&d=list&r=20
And this for Rangers
Otherwise, great map! 5/5

EDIT: PS: About a snow map, I can make the terrain for you, if you want.

I thought about it, but footmen needed something to make them more valuable - they were kind of bleh.

The starting food is enough to make two more workers for gold and five for lumber for a total of 12 workers. I find this to be a good starting number.

No I don't want people to choose their hero. They have their passive bonus aura ability and an inventory, this makes them a very valuable unit. I want it to be random so players adapt and learn to use different strategies. Also in the campaigns of WC 2 you were always given your heroes and that was it, no choosing.

I'd be great if you did some terrain. I can't promise I will end up using it, I am extremely picky when it comes to terrain. Don't let me stop you though! =)

The current map is what it should conform too.

6 players, melee map design, open water areas for naval, not spread out, small map size (no medium/large/epic maps), some kind of winter tile set ( I do like the ice texture from the Icecrown Glacier set)

Those would be the basic guidelines. Oh and no waygates please, this map has quite enough of that.

I've been busy for the last days, and for now, I could just make a sample. Just to see if you like the concept. Those watter channels will be used for the boat trafic. (dont worry about the bridges, the boats will able to go under them with waygates).

Attachments

• 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 71
Level 12
to limit the submarines from shallow water is by creating a region over all the shallow water areas and using a command to order unit to stop/travel in opposite direction create the unit-type under conditions and pick submarine or w/e you dont want to go.

Ham Ham: That's a good start, but I don't really like grid style maps. You'll notice that Mystic Isles has a feeling of randomness to it, like it was created by nature. I suggest not mapping it out in your head and just going with the flow. Try just placing start locations where you want them in general, and then randomly molding the terrain around them.

CHA Owner: I've tried this in the past, it doesn't really work and causes a lot of confusion for the player.

Level 12
I'm wondering, from viewing those pics on first page, why are paladins knights? There were Knights in warcraft 2 o_O, why not just use the paladin model with the deleted glows, so they seem like normal units? Besides, majority of paladins uses maces, or at least they prefer maces.

Attachments

• NMM.JPG
    NMM.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 70
Level 14
I have a suggestion,add a spell at each hero (told this before) for str heroes add the spell ''bloodlust'' so they can cast it by themselves,at int add the spell ''fireball'' and at agility add the spell ''wind walk''.This will make tha game funnier :D.

Level 1
I don't think that Wind Walk is a good suggestion for it is more effective than Fireball and self-cast only Bloodlust.

Maybe that can work through without super spells such as those of normal heroes (apart from the auras) that change gameplay, taking the necessity of creating an army out of it.

Self-cast only buffs seem to be a good suggestion to me.

Level 6
After playing this version, the humans seem less worthless than they did before and they have a bit more oomph back into them.

However those Dragons are far, far, far too strong, the Gryphons need an upgrade to strike multiple targets and even then only in a line and weaker.

The Dragon's splash attack for miles and for far to much damage and the Burning Oil is an absolute pain and nearly impossible to combat.

Please consider removing the Burning Oil and lowering the splash damage hugely of the Dragons, as they are already stronger than the Gryphons, they do splash damage in a circle and not a line and don't need an upgrade to do this ridiculous splash damage.

If you can do that then I think its far more balanced and fair.

Last edited: