• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ahoy goblin lovers! Goblin Interface in progress! wanna help? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
You basically told me that my entire UI was an epic fail until the tiny little rocket got there. What is that if not insulting? >.<

Lool.. That's exactly what I didn't say... I said the Red rocket was looking good, But you needed to add more (I'm not talking about more red rockets here, just more things). That's what i said.

EDIT: For example.. that new thing under the red rocket makes your UI better because it represents well the goblins.

EDIT2: what i wanted to make you understand is that an UI needs to make the people understand what it's representing in 1 second.. And then check it and always find new things..

Level 26
Oh?

Lool.. That's exactly what I didn't say... I said the Red rocket was looking good, But you needed to add more (I'm not talking about more red rockets here, just more things). That's what i said.

Oh? So you claim you didn't say this before? :O

the only thing that makes your UI look a bit goblin-ish is the Red Rocket

Level 49
What the fuck dude.
Okay, lets see.
MiniMage, stop taking every little thing as an insult. Those are skilled artists who are talking to you and giving you critique. All you do is complain about how everything's an insult and then CnP random stuff together.
The UI is not that bad as a concept, but as a finished piece, it's bad... Like, way bad. First of all, most of it is still the Orc UI, which obviously has to be changed. The highlights and colors of the CnP'd bits don't fit together and clash a lot. The red rocket doesn't make sense, and it covers a large portion of the portrait area. The clock looks interesting.
You'll have to change a lot more. First of all, find replacements for all those wooden borders everywhere and try to get some unique buttons for the inventory slot holders, I suggest the same style as Blizzard's, except different. At least replace their borders.

All in all, I suggest you just take your UI, give it to a real artist and ask him to finish it up. Just ask him to draw over your outlines and watch as your UI suddenly becomes awesome. Then let him release it, and ask him to give you credits for the main concept\ideas\outlines.

That's all I have to say.
And no, kola was not insulting you. He raises a good point. It does not reminds me of 'Goblin' as soon as I see it, more like Ogre with a few metal gizmos and and a rocket.

It reminds me perfectly of a Goblin at first glance, and if I were making this UI, I would take what you said about "real artists" as an insult, and bitch at you all as well. Just because someone has been working longer, doesn't make them better, nor does it mean that you should put others down because they are not as experienced. Now, get your head out of your ass, and not try to put him down for his work.

The UI looks great so far, and reminds me quite a lot of Goblins, but I do have to agree, get rid of the wooden borders.

Level 26
Uhh, Midnighters.
He copy-pasted the entire thing.
What do you expect me to say? Am I supposed to call him an artist now?

I have at no point claimed that I am an artist, I have never denied that it is CNP. The wooded borders was added simply because I was told it enhanced the goblin feel. Also, what the fuck? Why be such a douche out of the blue?

For one, I have not reacted to every little thing. I simply reacted a little when kola awkwardly phrased his point in such a way that I found it more more insulting than constructive. I can't really say that it would matter much if it was an amateur suggesting me to add more bolts. I mean, everyone knows that bolts are used a lot by goblins. He may be a professional giving advice, but I can't say the advice itself was at a very professional level.

I have been requesting an goblin UI for years, but no one has enough time to do it. Ever, in years this aspect of pros have not changed. What you see at this point is the result of previous critique from others in this thread. So, if your opinion is for me to change it, what would you suggest me replace it with? As for problems about what to call me. I am not a "real artist", there is no such thing as a fake artist, thus the concept of a real artist is redundant.

Call other people artists, call me a goblin fanatic.

I attempt to create my UI by the best of my ability. I've actually already talked to a few artists. Red Shift blatantly said no. CRAZYRUSSIAN said he might give the final touches when he got some time. The date when he said he would take over has been pushed forward for two weeks.. and he said something about next week, i think? Anyhow, It's questionable. But I do appreciate that in several years finally found someone with enough skills and with reasonable interest and time to help me. But this also means that I have to complete it to a certain point before I can give it to him. That's at least what I am assuming, would've been sweet if I am wrong though, because this baby is consuming a lot of my time.

Alright, with that said, let's go back to the critiques. The red rocket was meant to look like it had been fired and crashed into the UI. The point that goes over the the portrait area is the point where ingame warcraft UIs cover with stone, skulls or leaves. That's kinda why I made it extra big. Also, back to the borders. The wc3 orcish borders is what you would call placeholders. but I can't really make those a transparent white color either. The wooden parts was actually suggested by Mr. Goblin because he suggested that it would bring out the second hand engineering style. So, what do you want me to replace the wooden parts with? It's one thing to tell me to replace it with something, but with what? Work with me here.

Level 26
That was his suggestion.

Bah, whatever. :p

You should start by reading from the first page.
Add more wood and wires and ropes etc, I would go for the second-hand engineering of the goblins (has found in wc3) instead of the high-tech engineering (the look of the goblin's logo)

I'm pretty sure you're overestimating me. I as well as many others have pointed out at multiple times that I can't actually paint stuff like this. I've been sampling, CNP work mixed with my skilled pixeling abilities. Which more or less means that I can pick pieces and build a new puzzle with the pieces.

The problem is finding the right puzzle to disassemble. Hey, I agree with you though, the pictures help in a sense that It shows how some goblin technology. I assumed you had ideas on how to work on the actual design though. I have been googling for days and weeks now for goblin images, I have actually seen most of those pictures and discarded them as unusable. I'm not saying that the pictures are bad and that I don't appreciate the help.

The problem is just that while the pictures are inspirational and full of ideas, I am actually incapable of applying the pictures in question onto the UI. First and foremost the quality of the pictures are fairly bad. JPG has always been like that, it's like a budget format, often causing blur and making something that seems like it can be used a complete disappointment.

Hell, I can't really say much more, I have made minor edits but it's not really noticable and important enough for me to upload a new picture. I have pointed this out enough times for it to be considered spam.
All you need to get the current version is to ask.

It needs gears... add some gears.

It's not half bad!

Gears? I've been looking for those, but where the hell do i put them.. and where the hell do I find them? I've been thinking about it but that's the second thought that comes into mind. But I suppose I can google and see if I can find a few useable gears.

I still don't get why so many people, most being talented or even masterful artists comment on my work not realizing that CNP work is very limited. I've been roaming the web for pictures that i can use, but I'm getting low on supply, so to speak.

Can't you help a poor goblin fanatic get an UI? XD

I can't actually paint stuff like this

Congrats! Now you can!

Gears? I've been looking for those, but where the hell do i put them.. and where the hell do I find them? I've been thinking about it but that's the second thought that comes into mind. But I suppose I can google and see if I can find a few useable gears.

Btw, I prefer this over the red rocket. It mixes better.

So, anyways, the red circle is where you can add a gear and the green bit, is a little extra which I think a metal panel with a few red or green buttons could go.
attachment.php

EDIT: I dunno if you're allowed, but you could take some screenshots of these or use them as a reference.

Last edited:
Level 26
Hey, thanks for the first scribbling. I am pleased and amused. I'm not sure why but I personally prefer the rocket. The reason it flows bad is simple. It does not look like it crashed into the UI, it looks like a chunk was cut out and replaced with the rocket.. which sadly is how far my ability to portray this goes.

I appreciate the tool, but a new tool does not mean instant skills. I have a new tool, but no actual skill to use it, so nothing has actually changed.

Also, been getting tired of uploading pictures to photobucket. I gonna start uploading the big version. Enjoy. Couldn't find a gear though, but there's a new metal gizmo added to the green circle.

Again, enjoy the big size, I'm sure it's going to display all the problems of CNP in a flash.

Edit:
Wait, why does it matter if I cnp stuff from blizzard? My only wish is to have an Goblin UI made. That is my only goal. Thanks for the new pictures though.

Attachments

• Version4.15.png
    Version4.15.png
    490.9 KB · Views: 117
Level 26
Well, you could at least try to learn with that tool. It's not so hard.

It's one thing to learn a new tool by starting to make simple pictures to help you learn. To paint myself, It would require me a lot more advanced skills that I could gain by doodling with gimp.
But yeah, learning is not the issue, it's mastering the tool. It took me several years to master the use of MSPaint to create advanced pixelart. But yeah, the chances of me making miracles with gimp is low to say the least.

Anyhow, the last picture that Mr. Goblin linked to me was truly helpful, this is a quick add on to the latest picture. I don't get why but to me it's an enormous improvement. Might just be me though. XD

Attachments

• Version4.16.png
    Version4.16.png
    493 KB · Views: 76
Level 26
I like the clock.

Hey, a new person! Who apparently didn't like the original message that you posted! Nice to see that the interest among the people of the hive is growing. :D

Someone dropped the F-Bomb earlier. Behold, it now looks like someone really dropped the bomb. It looks like it actually crashed landed into the UI in this version. XD
attachment.php

Attachments

• Version4.22.png
    Version4.22.png
    495.1 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Level 21
Put a minecart on one of the spaces in the panels with the items to make it look better, add some wrenches to make it more Goblinish, and ropes with gears with pulleys for effect.
Looks great and I wish you luck man.

Level 26
Put a minecart on one of the spaces in the panels with the items to make it look better, add some wrenches to make it more Goblinish, and ropes with gears with pulleys for effect.
Looks great and I wish you luck man.

Didn't find any mine carts yet. But I did a minor fix, trying to enhance the whole crashing effect and make the UI flow well.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Version4.27.png
    Version4.27.png
    492.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Reactions: sPy
Level 26
Time for experimentation again. Which one is best? nr. 1 or nr 2?

Nr.1
attachment.php

Nr.2
attachment.php

So yeah, name the one you think is best.. Maybe you don't even like them at all? If so, help me get a proper mine cart, I couldn't find one so I ended up experimenting.

Attachments

• Version4.35experiment1.png
    Version4.35experiment1.png
    527.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Version4.35Experiment2.png
    Version4.35Experiment2.png
    523.7 KB · Views: 163
Level 21
Number one has the more awesome bomb than the second one, but the second one rockets should be placed near the first one.

Level 26
Ladies and gentlemen, I think I have chosen the one to continue with. As the last experiment had way more potential and to me looks better.. I'll do some more edits and then I will deliver it into the capable hands of CRAZYRUSSIAN.

I'd say it's basically done as far as my skills goes, unless you have more ideas that you wish for me to work with. I have considered jamming in a shitload of stuff, but I realized the UI would look too messy if I had too much stuff. Anyhow, enjoy one of the more completed versions. I don't really have much to say, I'm gonna give the right side a little more metallic look and add a tube of sorts connecting itself to the Goblin grill.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Version4.45.png
    Version4.45.png
    553 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Level 21
Well I liked the bomb and the spikes so add them at the left side and then the mother side, which is the right side and then add the bomb as well for effect.

Level 26
It looks like it goes a little high. Have you checked if it fits, and is not cutted of? And what happened right left of the bottom items? With the tube, and pixelated a little on the gold rim.

I suppose it does. Actually, I don't have a clue. The template that was given to me was like 74% smaller than my picture, so even if I scaled down my picture to try and fit it, it never looked good. So yeah, I'd appreciate if someone knew how to check though. :O

Added a barrel instead of the tube, because that kept being messed up all the time. Now I just gotta do some minor height tweaking, gotta find me a good template though.
Anyone wanna help me with finding one, please? :O

attachment.php

Attachments

• Version4.46.png
    Version4.46.png
    567 KB · Views: 170
Level 26
I think you should find something less blurry and less high over the inventory space, it looks too crowded, also, do something with the ui box to the right, some rusty scaffolding or something would look good for the icon grid.

You got a point about it being too crowded, cut down a little thing, looks slightly better. As for blurriness, I've been asking for artistic help for a while now. I didn't get any, thus you have no reason to complain.
Also, since I have nothing better to replace it with, I have no reason to be picky.

Hell, the previous rockets was thought to be spikes so at least it's a step up.
I don't really care if it is high up over the UI, the question is where the limit is, the template does not show me. You can not scale it up evenly, either it's almost enough with a tiny little bit left or it's slightly too big.

Oh, and the slightly edited version, I gotta make sure it's not too high. I mean, CRAZYRUSSIAN will soon start to polish this lump of coal but I could at least fix the most basic problems before I ask for his skills.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Version4.47.png
    Version4.47.png
    565.4 KB · Views: 193
Level 26
The gears and stuff are generic, there are some funky looking steam pumps there too.

I just realized something, I scaled up the template and shoved my UI ontop of it. Although being deformed beyond belief it still serves to illustrate my point. I mean, I got a lot of fancy stuff, do I really need something at that specific location? It appears to look pretty good in this picture, sadly it's as accurate and trustworthy as my sleeping pattern.

attachment.php

Aaaand here's the actual UI.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Version4.48ExperimentWithHelpingPicture.png
    Version4.48ExperimentWithHelpingPicture.png
    464.5 KB · Views: 340
  • version4.48.png
    version4.48.png
    546.7 KB · Views: 432
Reactions: sPy
Level 26
Ey guys, could anyone of you make a UI template, the size of my UI?
I need to make sure that it is accurate. I talked to the one who did the small one a few days ago, but he doesn't seem to be responding.

This is all I need. All I need. Then the UI will be done and CRAZYRUSSIAN will be able to finish it with a quick graphic buff.
To be quite honest, the only thing that matters is the general outline, I want to make sure that the UI doesn't gets huge cutouts at some places.

So yeah, appreciate any help you could provide me with.

Status
Not open for further replies.