• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ahoy goblin lovers! Goblin Interface in progress! wanna help? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Yes, well. I can't say I have much to say, so I'll make a long story short and just show ya what I am working on. If you have ideas, share em, if you want to help me graphically, go ahead. Though, ask first, because I think you'll need my file to work with.. or not, maybe you want compete with me at creating an interface. That's awesome as well, If you end up with a cooler looking interface than mine, I'll use yours instead.

Planning to shove in some exhaust pipes at the edge to the left there. Once all parts of this is colored and done, it will be delivered to CRAZYRUSSIAN who will help me by throwing some sprinkles of magic for some final touches, unless he changes his mind, that is.

Anyway, here's what I got so far, excuse the small size, photoshop has a thing for shrinking stuff down. It's a work in progress, I think I need to point that out, usually people point and laugh at stuff that clearly is not done yet. Anyhow, I'll stop babbling and let the picture do the talking. A picture says more than a thousand words, eh? XD

GoblinInterface4.jpg

Anyhow one final thing, as I said before, If you have ideas, share em whenever. There are no stupid suggestions, although the stupidity might not be used, I'd be happy to know that there's an actual interest. :D

Level 26
Well, it is a CNP. Although, it's from multiple pictures. Shame that It wont be allowed to be submitted here. No wonder I couldn't find something similar before. Granted, I could submit it somewhere else and link people to it in my future map thread. Forget about if I submit it here or not. I will make it able for people to download it. Here, or somewhere else doesn't matter since a tiny link is all you need.

Anyway, back to joy over a goblin interface being created and not being so grumpy because of douchebaggery rules and boring stuff. :O
Besides, requesting an goblin interface merely results in weeks of silence. So hell, at least I'm making something.

Level 38
CnP is generally a good reason to reject things, though CnP skins have been approved before. They just require more work than a freehand skin of equal quality, and getting CnP work to line up to the UVs is generally more of a pain for me than just drawing it myself. Buildings and UIs don't have much in wrapping issues though.

Anyways, you might find this helpful.
Link to UI alpha layout
I imported a few bogus resources to figure out where the UI required artwork and were it could be alphaed out. Should help for doing icon borders and the like.

Level 26
Version 2.0 I'm not sure if this is an improvement. Hm, maybe I should give up and just request a professional version?
Hm, scratch that. I'll finish this one, make it able for people to download it.. If i'm not satisfied with it by then, I'll request some help with new goblin interface.

That would work. Anyhow, version 2.0 below.

20-1.png

Last edited:
Level 26
Well, I talked to CRAZYRUSSIAN for some help. So, hopefully he will sprinkle some magic on it. If not, I'll talk to Red Shift. If I'm lucky, I could get help from both.
CRAZYRUSSIAN said he had little time after all, so he's probably just going to do some minor help. Or not, the man is speedy after all.

Still, can't hurt to attempt to get the help of two pros to help work on it. :D

Last edited:
I appreciate any well-made UIs, whether they consist of CnP or freehand doesn't matter much to me personally.
As far as I can tell, this one looks very clean and warcraft-ish, compared to many other CnP-UI-attempts.
Just look out that there are no problems with wrong positioning of tileparts, happens rather often.
Are you givin it the finishing touch already or do you plan to work on it some more?

Last edited:
Level 26
I'm pretty damn proud of the CNP result of the time indicator.. but If you want to add extra stuff, Mr.Goblin, go ahead. Here is the interface. Just to clearify this is not done, it's merely so that Mr.Goblin can work on it http://rapidshare.com/files/448339394/GoblinInterface.rar Wires and stuff like that could be cool. But as you can see, this is CNP work, I'm not really much of an artist when it comes to complex things like this. I'm pretty good with pixel art though, but that doesn't help much. Feel free to edit it, Mr.Goblin. I can't say I have been that proud of the lower part of the UI, the upper part with the Time Indicator though, that made me proud and happy. So any wish to put effort into improving that down there is appreciated.

Can't say I am a hundred percent sure everything flows perfectly. I am still getting good suggestions from you people though. As for finishing touches, talked to CRAZYRUSSIAN about it. He said he'd do a beauty pass once everything was basically finished and when he had some more time.

Level 26
What part of me looks like a frigging wc3 artist? I copy and paste stuff into a picture and mix it around a little. I do not have photoshop or any real good program for bigger stuff. As I previously stated, I do pixel art a lot.

I never create stuff for warcraft normally. It's just, I request something, I hear some excuse, nothing happens, months pass. Thus, I attempt to create it myself. Clearly there is an interest, but my skills are lacking. So I ask for help. What you see here is the best I can do. I can not confirm that everything is in the right place because the jpg is too little and the other one is blp.

My regular tool that I use is MSPaint. This has been created in MSPaint. Just like this pixel art of mine. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/Cool_lil_Dude/KoBTFirstIsland.png?t=1297916075
I do most things in MSPaint. I'm quite skilled with it, but if you ask for more detail. I can only say I am sorry, because I can not do it. :O

So yeah, if you got time, help out. If you're interested but can't do anything, share ideas and if you don't care, this is what you got. For a first warcraft picture I don't think it's half bad.
But damn, all the pros are either very busy, or the concept of creating maps for warcraft 3 is slowly but surely going toward its death.

Level 38
Level 26
Well anything would help really. Also, naturally the more you know and the more experienced you are, the more you could help.

At the moment I'm just extremely annoyed. Besides the time indicator icon, which may be too big, I can't check if it is, anyhow, it is the only piece that to me, really looks goblin-ish. The rest looks like a dwarven or human bandit interface. :<

Level 26
It's more like bumping every four days or so. I heard it was allowed to bump if it was after like.. 24 hours? I'm sure the number was around there. The replies stack up when no one responds. XD
Apparently Russian is still going to help me.. but in two weeks. So feel free to sketch me your vision of a goblin UI. A two minute doodle is okay. I mean, my UI doesn't really feel goblin-ish yet..

I'm not sure what it is lacking though, it feels almost like a dwarven ui at the moment. :O

Level 26
Again, I do not demand quality at such an extreme level that it burns my eyes.
Do a quick doodle and share your own vision of what a goblin UI should look like. If I find something I like, I'll incorporate it into my design.

There's two weeks left. Maybe more? So while we await for CRAZYRUSSIAN to solidify the UI into gold, I might as well improve on it as good as I can.
But for that I need response and a lot of it. So yeah, a doodle under less than two minutes is alright. Come on people, I'll give you a cookie.

It's so common for people to ignore replying to posts like these simply because they find themselves inexperienced and not qualified to reply to these posts, ignore that. Scribble down your version and upload it to photobucket.. or some other picture hosting site and link that picture to this thread. Any post is a good post. The more ideas you guys throw out there, the more I have to work with. :D

Level 38
^^ going with gray seems like a good call. Not sure the backpacks in the command card fit there, with passive icons it might not look so great.
Looks like everything will fit when loaded in game now, that's a good sign. Looks like this is headed in the right direction, will be interesting to see how this turns out when it's finished.

Also, apparently the skin submission rules changed a few months ago to be something really generic, CnP skins are approve-able now as long as they meet the quality standards of whatever mod is reviewing them. You'll need to cite whatever sources you got the artwork for this from though.

Level 26
Ah, sources. That would go farily quick. The whole base image was from a UI contest, in which he gave up and scrapped his project. I just recently found it in my folder and manipulated it with the bits and pieces of WoW screesnhots of regular gameplay and used the goblin race icon thingy that you linked to in the first page. Hopefully he doesn't mind.. Now that I think about it, I think he was actually the post above your "This template" that you linked me to.. Troll UI. It had lots of promise, but it got scrapped, at least I assume it did.

Hm, found the dude.. chr2. I suppose credits go to him. Don't nerdrage me yet. The UI belongs to all you people.. As soon as CRAZYRUSSIAN gets time to give the final touches. :O

As for the backpacks, my idea was to manipulate the bags to the right so that they looked like.. idonno.. goblin ability icons, bombs, plutonium, War Machine Icons, Shiny red buttons of doom icons.. something like that.
The problem was that I realized that I suck at stuff like that. I know several spots that is flawed, but, I am incapable of actually changing them without ruining the whole idea I got going here.

So, does it look more.. goblin-ish now? I'm not sure. The other one where it was just gray and stones everywhere made me think about dwarven UI's..
Oh yeah. If anyone actually wanna make a dwarven UI with those WIP pictures, go ahead.

Edit:
To demonstrate a little more what I meant before about the bag thing.. this is how it would've looked with a passive ability

33---2.png

...and If you people really think I should switch back.. here is that version..
33--1.png

Last edited:
much better!, but now I would add abit more colours, you've got the general rusty wood part, I would add ropes, more colorfull wires, red buttons and stuff. Just to give it a bit more the ''engineering of second hand'' feeling :D

what you are aiming to recreate something like this (fealing-wise) so.. Wood + dirty metal planks + ropes + wires + dirty nasty looking + bright color paint.
http://www.gamebunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/goblin_tinker_toy.jpg

Last edited:
Level 26
First things first, I'm not an artist, the scribbling is meant to illustrate their points, not mine. I understand my points, not theirs. So you want me to scribble down their point that I don't understand simply because you misunderstood me as an artist? I cnp stuff together, i have creativity and time, not skills. I am not on the level where you could consider me an artist. Also, you're*

Anyhow, with that out of the way. Rocket for great justice! Improvement or not? :O
38.png

First things first, I'm not an artist, the scribbling is meant to illustrate their points, not mine. I understand my points, not theirs. So you want me to scribble down their point that I don't understand simply because you misunderstood me as an artist? I cnp stuff together, i have creativity and time, not skills. I am not on the level where you could consider me an artist. Also, you're*

Anyhow, with that out of the way. Rocket for great justice! Improvement or not? :O
38.png

too big, but definatly brings some colors in it :D and is leading the UI to something better!

I'm not really sure how to make it smaller without losing too much quality. Actually, I think it will fit into the frame as it is though. :O

1#Duplicate the layer,
2#Converse into a Dinamique Object layer
3#Insert the filter that can be found in ''Divers --> High Pass'' (or something like this, since my photoshop is in french :D)
4#play with it between 4.5 and 6.0
5#Accept filter
6#change the ''mode of the layer'' to INCRUSTATION (instead of Normal)

have fun!

Step 1. I've been creating this picture in MSPaint.
Step 2. Skip to step 5.
Step 5. Panic.

Scaled down the rocket by 20%.. better?
39.png

yup! now add more red on the other side of the panel and some bright metal stuff etc..

Level 26
yup! now add more red on the other side of the panel and some bright metal stuff etc..

Actually.. I'm completely lost at this point. I need some kind of doodlles/scribbles.. alternatively very detailed description of what you mean.

I know it needs more color.. the problem is where to change the color and how to do it without ruining the things I've done right. :O

Actually.. I'm completely lost at this point. I need some kind of doodlles/scribbles.. alternatively very detailed description of what you mean.

I know it needs more color.. the problem is where to change the color and how to do it without ruining the things I've done right. :O

I'll make one tomorow, sorry really busy tonight!

Level 21
Its looking good so far, but it just needs more.
I'll make sure to add stuff that might make it good, and tell you what needs to be added or changed.

Level 31
Agaaaain.. Doodle something, illustrate your point, since your words clearly does not cut it. :O

All I wanted you to do is too add Bolts on the border of the Items (for example, you could put them anywhere).. Goblins are engineers, they use bolts and screws to build things :D.. For now the only thing that makes your UI look a bit goblin-ish is the Red Rocket (by the way, keep this rocket, it looks very nice). You have to represent goblins by more than one way.. Bolts would represent their Engineer skills.

...things that could represent goblins : Bolts, Screws, Bombs (round ones with evil faces), Rockets, Fire, Goblin face.. Poison and alchemist things (not sure about the 2 lasts)

But I'm sorry, I won't do more than just give ideas.

Last edited:
Level 26
Kola, your comments doesn't really help and starts to sound a little insulting to be honest. I was originally going for the cave style of goblins..
Now I'm going with bombs, faulty wiring rust and basically any redish gizmo I can get my hands on. I do appreciate the interest though.

Warlord Ajer'laroir, I appreciate all the help I can get.

With that said. Another update. Instead of the big tube thingy.. Mooore reddish gizmos.. Whoop. Improvement or not? :D
41.png

Level 31
Kola, your comments doesn't really help and starts to sound a little insulting to be honest. I was originally going for the cave style of goblins..
Now I'm going with bombs, faulty wiring rust and basically any redish gizmo I can get my hands on. I do appreciate the interest though.

Insulting?... if trying to help is insulting... then yes

And i though you were going more Wc3 goblin style

Status
Not open for further replies.