• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zenith of the Ages V0.01

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
An AoS style map that I designed to try to get away from the repetitiveness of other AoS's. Currently the map contains 3 full shops of recipes and 33 custom heroes. Balance is not as rigid as it is in maps such as the popular "DotA", but it is still a factor. A left to right AoS, players may pick from many different commands such as -ap (All pick), -re (Reverse mode (One team picks enemies team heros, vice versa)), and -ar (All random). Two bases, one of the Army of Good and the other of the Army of Evil both have a statue that must be protected. They may only be destroyed as an entire lane of towers are dead. In my opinion it can be much more fun than DotA if given enough work and feedback. Please send feedback to [email protected] or post here!
Keep in mind, this map is in beta and needs a lot of feedback for it to be a much better map! My own views of the map can't give me as much of an idea about balance that other people's criticism and support give me. I know that the map is not perfect and I could use your opinions.
Current Changelog:
V0.01b (In progress):
- Renamed map Aeon of Earth!
- Zombie Projectile Vomit cast time reduced from 2.5 to 0, cooldown increased to 35, up from 30/30/25/25.
- Ancient of War Entanglement set only for his base spells.
- Galeshi Sun Sword Immolation nerfed from 35 to 20, damage nerfed from 45 to 40.
- Removed a bug causing Zombie to become 100% transparent.
- Increased time for creeps to spawn from 40 to 90.
- Removed an in development hero from random pool.
- Fixed some base moves that did not follow the 2 level skip model.
- Fixed various typos
- Nerfed Assassin’s Precision from 4x at all levels to 2.2x/2.4x/2.6x/2.8x per level.
- Fixed a bug with Tidal Stone being undroppable after being attempted to cast on land.
- Added bounty to hero kills.
- Rock Golem proper name changed to “Macadam”
- Increased gold bounty on creep kills by an average of 10.
- Reworked Stalk, fixed buff error.
- Improved mana cost of Ogre Chef’s Shockwave spell to to 85/95/115/125 per level.
- Nerfed Forked Lightning mana cost to 105/120/135/150 mana.
- Revamped Army of Good base terrain.
- Fixed a fatal error involved with Icon of Sin and fixed leaking periodics, most likely alleviating the severe lag that has been reported.
- Fixed Arena pathing to make a complete circle rather than an arrayed clump that typically did not block escape or entry.
- Nerfed Foliage cooldown to 18/16/14/12 from 18/14/10/6.
- Changed terrain.
- Nerfed Magma Spray damage from 20/40/60/80 to 15/30/45/60, increased cooldown by 2 seconds at all levels.
- Nerfed Reignite cooldown to 95/85/75 from 60.
- Reduced hero experience gain, making levels go much slower.
- Fixed a bug which caused multiboard to disappear when an ally leaves the game.
- Fixed force names.
- Added a new icon, thanks to twelveoclock!
- Buffed Rapid fire to -9/-18/-27/-36 damage.
- Buffed Tactical Strike AoE to 1100 from 600.
- Fountain regeneration increased to 4% for both health and mana per second.
- Nerfed regeneration items.
- Made forest more complex, adding juke spots
- Narrowed lanes mildly

v0.01
- Map uploaded!

Credits go to:
Vexorian (Optimizer)
??? (Widgetizer)
Other credits are contained in map by typing -credits and going to quests.

Note to Bounty Hunter2: In response to your recent post, I have seen maps with just plain cityscape terrain, 3 lanes, and heroes of the caliber that I have made get accpted. If you have seen it is just a "regular 3 way AoS, nothing special", why would you even say to reupload it at all? I mean, you wouldn't be denying just on the basis that it is a 3 way AoS, else tons of other maps would have been rejected. I don't believe you played the game for more than 5 minutes, or you would tell me what was wrong/what heroes are "unoriginal" etc. I am most likely going to appeal to another moderator as I believe the voting you gave my map was unfair. I took a quick glimpse over some maps that you have rated, and most of them are rejected. You do not seem to like anything but pure perfection, and maps with no innovation from Dota have been accepted to this site. I believe the map has potential and should be given a chance, rather than forcing me to leave up a very flawed version of the map instead of updating it to make it better. The map does not break any of the guidelines on the website, it is not a 'make in 5 minutes' map (I spent time on it), and I believe your rating is too quick and does not reflect any thought that the map can become better, so you just reject it. In the next few days I will probably contact another moderator to OK uploads to reflect that the map is making progress towards a better map. By leaving up the very first released version and barring uploads, it just leaves a buggy map that gets very laggy with flaws that I have and am still looking to remedy in further versions.

Keywords:
AOS
Contents

Zenith of the Ages V0.01 (Map)

Reviews
13:19, 27th Apr 2009 by bounty hunter2: Yet another poorly made AoS, including unoriginal spells and heroes, horrible terrain, the same old boring gameplay. It's really nothing much and don't upload this here anymore. Use Epicwar please, Rejected...

M

13:19, 27th Apr 2009 by bounty hunter2:
Yet another poorly made AoS, including unoriginal spells and heroes, horrible terrain, the same old boring gameplay. It's really nothing much and don't upload this here anymore. Use Epicwar please, Rejected.

07:26, 28th Apr 2009 by bounty hunter2:
I don't have time to give you more suggestions. You can use our Map Development Forum and ask for more help, and make your map perfect there. I just can't bare the bad terrain and unoriginal hero and spells. I can't suggest you how to make them original, now can I? It's a regular three way AoS, nothing much, I've seen tons of them like this and rejected them. You should use the Forums and improve there, but don't upload the map again until you are sure it's good enough, Rejected.

1st May 2009 by bounty hunter2:
Those are old maps, when there were no rules for maps. Today we have rules. Your map is now rejected permanently. Upload it again and you shall receive an infraction.

Level 5
What. Is. With. People. And. (Insert Random Letter Here)otA.
God dammit, change the name...
And why does it need a river? Just because DotA has a river, your map doesn't
3 lanes? why not 2 or 5?
And Felwood? why not Outland?
Its dota, except tilted on a 45 degree angle, less heros, and boring.

Level 2
Well, the group of people I play with have both made maps that have ended in "otA", so I left the map name with that name.

The map has a river due to the fact that different levels of terrain, from cliffs to water, are nice to have. It also opens up another plane of sight from normal ground to the shallow water and enables items such as Tidal Stone to be present in the map.

The original Aeon of Strife map had 3 lanes, I kept it 3 lanes.

I chose Felwood because Outlands trees are mushrooms which don't look very good, the Lordaeron X tilesets are very plain, the Snow based terrains are very bright and I see more maps using it, so I chose felwood because I thought it looked crisp and neat, but not the square neat of Cityscape.

Could you please elaborate on your idea that the map is just "Dota on an angle etc."? Tell me why you think the map is boring. The only valid criticism without some sort of backup to it you are giving me is that its too much like Dota, yet there are no heros remotely reminiscent of Dota heroes. There are many AoS maps that use the 3 lanes. Do you go to every AoS map that has 3 lanes and call it a Dota ripoff? Do you call Dota an AoS ripoff? I'd prefer some criticism with some body to it so I can work to improve my map!

Also I am curious if you even played the map instead of looking at the name and the terrain. None of the things you have told me about my map are substantiated from actual gameplay, correct? Could you tell me which heroes you played, what you thought made them boring, what your opinion of the hero in relation to the entire map is, how I should go about fixing or repairing the hero to better fit the map and/or make the game more exciting overall? Thanks!

Level 5
Correct. The description did not make me feel like downloading the map, and most AOS maps here on the hive, ARE Dota ripoffs. Having a name like [?]otA just makes it look like one of those types of maps.

Terrain is a rather large thing here too.

However, because you wrote so much, I suppose I will test it.

EDIT:

Things for you to fix
>Item tool tips
Why would I buy a ward that has 0 charges and lasts 0 seconds?
>Terrain
It was almost one tile the whole way through and the lanes where 5x bigger than needed.
>LAG.
I only got 20 minutes through before the game started to slow (I had all the hero's from the good side summoned)

Things that I liked
>Different Attack power
However should the humans have the smaller attack range (21-23) and Skeletons have the crazy aggressive attack range (17-25).
>Some Items
Some item ideas were nice, such as the sword that levels up every 25 minutes. But that sword that gives Immolation and prevents ranged attacks over 450 was rather...imba.
>Some Hero Abilities
Roshan? Nice >.> That Fart move was funny too.

Things that I not so much liked
>Items cost
...Alot... How much was it again, for a sword that granted... 2 damage? 1000 gold?
>Hero Abilities
Some were rather basic, others had some nice effects added to it or a different name, Priestess of the moon has one ability there that is just windwalk, it even has the buff come up as windwalk.

Make the lanes thinner, Give it an improved tileset, get more creative with the hero abilities and try to move away from DotA, (Start with the name) So that less people will make the mistake 'DotA Clone' and not play it. ^.First Post.^

Last edited:
Level 2
I'm glad you gave me more feedback. I recently noticed the wards and one other consumable that I had not changed a certain part of the tooltip on, and it went straight to zero.
On the map size, when I first made it, the lanes were too scrunched so I pulled the map out. The lane length seems very good in my opinion, but yes, the width is very large >.> I am implementing more trees for thinner lanes and a bigger forest, as forests shouldn't be tiny like in other maps, I felt it needed to be expansive. I tried to not make it the entire tile all the way through and thought it looked decent, but I guess I was wrong.
I am not sure what is causing the lag, as I have been able to handle every hero out at once for a long time on a 9 year old computer.
For the different attack ranges, I felt as though the undead don't care if they hit consistantly, the would want to do the most damage, whereas a footman would want every hit to count. And yes, I have been told that that item is rather imba, but the effect I wanted on it was the prevent ranged attacks. I will most likely nerf it further than already what has been planned.
I guess I can change the Rock Golem's name, as it is kind of a ripoff of Dota, but I remember reading somewhere Roshan had some connotation to earth, so I felt it fit. Going to change that.
Im glad you liked the fart :D
The 2 damage sword should cost 75 gold, whereas the 1000 gold item is +13 damage. I also noticed when I played it with other people that the gold was rather slow, thinking of increasing creep bounty a little bit.
I figure what I don't see I can hopefully rely on some others to point me in the right direction to get this snowball rolling.

Level 5
im sorry if i sounded harsh when i said "dota clone" but thats exactly what i thought after playing your map

if you really want to make a map that's noticeable and separate from the monogamous pattern of AoS maps popping up on this site then you need to make something NEW. how hard is it to create something that no-one's seen before? instead of making typical dota-ish heroes make NEW heroes that noone has seen the likes of before. add NEW systems to boost gameplay. when making a map just think in your mind "how can i make this better?" and "how can i make this more FUN?" i find that mappers now-adays are totally forgetting that factor, the FUN factor. people are making maps that are the same old typical thing instead of coming up with new ideas. be creative! thats all i ask! please dont take this post the wrong way, im just letting you know why i wrote "dota clone". nothing would get better if people didn't learn from their mistakes, let the creative juices flow my friend! :)

Level 2
Thank you for responding. Right now I am just fighting to get this damned map approved on this site. The map that is up is very trashy as it had a bunch of things that needed to be changed etc, but I can't upload the newest version because of a moderator telling me not to, which I plan to appeal to another moderator soon.

I don't take the post in the wrong way in the least. It is very helpful, but right now this is a framework which will be expanded upon in the future. Right now I am trying to solidify the AoS in the map, as that is what this is, then start adding the modes and stuff. I am just dissapointed that I have two buddies who both made AoS maps, and when they were uploaded to the site they were about as good as what I have right now, and they got auto-approved pretty much, with nothing "NEW AND CREATIVE" to them really, just heroes, items, and a map. A lot of maps aren't very far from DotA, yet people call them amazing. Right now what I see is that a lot of the heroes are pretty bland or boring, and its hard to come up with tons of heroes that are 100% original, synergistic, good looking moves, and all extremely fun to play, such as Pudge or Techies from DotA. To be able to get some new heroes in to replace some of the ones that I have right now would probably help, but then I am lost on where to make it "seperate from the monogamous pattern of AoS", as at its core, this map is supposed to be an AoS.