• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Your favorite planet?

What is your favorite planet?

• Mercury

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Venus

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Earth

Votes: 41 44.6%
  • Mars

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Jupiter

• Saturn

• Uranus

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • Neptune

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Mars. It is the closest to Earth from the listed and the reason why we cant breathe there is the thin atmosphere. But one could live in domes. It has all the features to grow plants and turn a deserted area into a city as long as not outside.

bim.asp

bim.asp

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Pandora Earth obviously

oh and why isn't Pluto a planet anymore??o_O
Pluto was demoted from the primary planets because it disobeyed one of the established rules for these planets: to have an orbit that doesn't intercept those of other planets; Pluto's intercepts Neptune's. I don't remember the size of the planet having anything to do with it, but I'll recheck.

As for my favorite planet, I can't say for sure. Neptune is very attractive, but I like Venus too, much because of its intense volcanic activity. The following picture came with my manual when we covered endogenous, exogenous and exotic impacts/activities(?). It is beautiful! Take a look:

venus2.jpg

Last edited:
Venus actually could be nicer to live than Mars. Stronger gravity, temparature and air pressure similar to Earth. Also more energy sources avalaible, because of stronger Sun radiations and fast winds.

But ... you would have to build castles in clouds (literally). But since CO2 is heavier gas, N2/O2 mixture could lift the whole base (you can aid that with some helium too). This would deny all direct mining of the surface (except sulfur acid), unless you prepare special devices which can withstand such extreme conditions.

Level 34
Venus actually could be nicer to live than Mars. Stronger gravity, temparature and air pressure similar to Earth. Also more energy sources avalaible, because of stronger Sun radiations and fast winds.

But ... you would have to build castles in clouds (literally). But since CO2 is heavier gas, N2/O2 mixture could lift the whole base (you can aid that with some helium too). This would deny all direct mining of the surface (except sulfur acid), unless you prepare special devices which can withstand such extreme conditions.

I heard those winds travel with an average speed of 1000 km/h..

And.
Difficulties

Venus also presents several significant challenges to human colonization. Surface conditions on Venus are practically impossible to deal with: the temperature at the equator averages around 500 °C (932 °F), higher than the melting point of lead. The atmospheric pressure on the surface is also at least ninety times greater than on Earth, which is equivalent to the pressure experienced under a kilometer of water. These conditions have caused missions to the surface to be extremely brief: the probes Venera 5 and Venera 6 for example were crushed by high pressure whilst still 18 km above the surface. Following landers such as Venera 7 and Venera 8 succeeded in transmitting data after reaching the surface, but these missions were brief as well, surviving no more than a single hour on the surface.

Furthermore, water, in any form, is almost entirely absent from Venus. The atmosphere is devoid of molecular oxygen and is primarily carbon dioxide in poisonously high concentrations. In addition, the visible clouds comprise of, in part, sulfuric acid and sulfur dioxide vapor.

Level 14
FFS people vote Jupiter! It is the most 1337 planet.
1. The movie Avatar is set on the moon of Pandora and that is one of jupiters moons
2. It has the most moons out of every planet in our solar system! And the moons are 1337
3. What other planets have a giant red storm that could fit 3 and a bit Earths inside.
4. Who protects Earth from Meteors and Asteroids? Jupiter does!
5. Jupiter is the biggest planet in our solar system
6. Its got GAS!
-Offtopic-
*Grabs machine gun and shoots everybody that didn't vote for jupiter*

The thing is that you will have to remain suspended in air, while on Mars you can stay on solid surface, probably is better feeling, since you are not depending on devices to stay in air (balloon platforms). But you will have access to more energy, although maintenace cost would be higher. This means that Venus should be a target after Mars.

Level 6
The thing is that you will have to remain suspended in air, while on Mars you can stay on solid surface, probably is better feeling, since you are not depending on devices to stay in air (balloon platforms). But you will have access to more energy, although maintenace cost would be higher. This means that Venus should be a target after Mars.

ok first by the time we inhabit mars that is if we ever do, venus would be so hot .... well it would just be hot very hot.

second uranus is the best i mean come on the name is ur anus .... and isnt it the only planet with a counter clockwise orbit... somethin like that?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Jupiter is not composed of silica and rock like the first four primary planets, but it's volume is stunningly large. I'm not sure whether it'd be safe to get too close on the risk of the planet sucking you in it. Plus, I'm not sure in what state the matter(?) is on Jupiter, but if it's not solid, you'll literally dive into the planet once you come under the effects of its gravity field.

Jupiter has near 3 times gravity of earth (comparing the sizes the difference isn't that big, but still too much), to comparison, other gas giants have more or less earth gravity. However hydrogen of helium as main gases means you will have harder time to float with various aerostats.

Danger of jupiter lies in his radiation belt, thats why Io is quite a bad place to visit, Europa surface is hazardous (really hope that ice blocks that radiation if water below), Ganymede is on the border, only relatively safe is Callisto, which would be most suitable place to set up a base in this system.

I know what you mean, but what is with love (family, GF/BF, friends, hobby etc etc )what is with happiness (come with love, peace, success etc)...
Damn what is with COLD BEAR ON BEST PARTY WHERE YOU ARE GOING WITH BEST FRIENDS, GF AND LOT OF MONEY, WHERE SOME AWESOME BAND PLAY MUSIC WHOLE NIGHT, ON SOME AWESOME PLACE NEAR BEACH, IN HOT SUMMER NIGHT, AWAY FROM YOUR TOWN, PARENTS AND PROBLEMS :xxd:

P.S. Red Shift pls fix signature it ruined whole page :razz:

VY Canis Majoris
800px-Star-sizes.jpg

Wikipedia said:
VY Canis Majoris (VY CMa) is a red hypergiant star located in the constellation Canis Major. At between 1800 and 2100 solar radii (approx 2,500,000,000 to 2,900,000,000 km across or 1,550,000,000 to 1,800,000,000 miles), it is the largest known star and also one of the most luminous known. It is located about 1.5 kiloparsecs (4.6×1016 km) or about 4,900 light years away from Earth. Unlike most hypergiant stars, which occur in either binary or multiple star systems, VY CMa is a single star. It is categorized as a semiregular variable and has an estimated period of 2000 days.[4]

This. A lightning ray needs 8 hours to get to the other side. A man would walk 65 million years if he sleeps for 8 hours a day and walks the other time.

Level 31
He's joking ...

Sedna is not a red planet, it's a transneptunian dwarf planet, with much water ice on the surface.
It's said to belong to the Oort Cloud.
Some people say that the Sun once had a partner (or more than one) which pulled Sedna into our sun system.
Now the partner has gone and isn't seeable anymore.
I think this star is called Nemesis.

Level 22
VY Canis Majoris
800px-Star-sizes.jpg

This. A lightning ray needs 8 hours to get to the other side. A man would walk 65 million years if he sleeps for 8 hours a day and walks the other time.

Sirius (Canis Major)
Wolf 359 - Ok dont know where's that
Pollux (Gemini)
Arcturus (Bootes) - Arcturus Mengsk xD
Aldebaran (Taurus)
Rigel (hmm forgot where that was, I'll go for Libra nah not sure)
Antares (a very bright orange star seen in Scorpio)
Betelegeuse (Orion)
µ Cephei (Cepheus apparently)
the rest is clear

I was just examining myself on whether I still remember which star from which constellation is. I havent used or checked anything on the internet I'm only not sure about Rigel.

Reactions: Rui
Status
Not open for further replies.