• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

You could easily doing something like this with Unity3D :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Hey Guys,

just found some time to make a WebPlayer build from a paused project. I'll continue working on this with a friend in some months to finish some essential steps to make it playable.

It's some kinda Farm Game, so you can build some Extractors that will later on gather some resources for you. While rats will walk around the map and of course other monsters too and try to kill you and your machines. So you need to build some Turrets to prevent them doing this. Those turrets are only placeable within the Extractors positions.

This map is unfinished and I just wanted you to show what's possible with Unity3D and to get some feedback or whatever? :D So play it a bit, test it, and try out some stuff like menus, building a turrent and so on :p

This was pretty easy to setup and to maintain, the only negative part is that it takes some time to do, but that's normal. Models + animations will take the most time, beside of scripting because you need to write a lot and look at references like how looks the syntax of something and of course bugfixes :p A lot of bugfixes, things never happen from the start you'll always have some glitches to fix first :p

[F1] shows the help menu, showing some stuff and commands

I'll soon upload the WebPlayer, so here are some Screenshots meanwhile. Enjoy ^^

screen1qi.jpg

screen2pe.jpg

screen3rnb.jpg

Level 1
I tried and tried but couldn't do anything other than move around. Fell in a river and walked a long way before I could find a place from where I could get out of the river. Feels good that a game like this can be made. It looked good. How long did it take to make it and how many people did the work?

Also there was some big lag before the game loaded for the first time. Of around 15-20 minutes. Normal for Unity Webplayer?

Level 18
As said before [F1] will show some Info about the commands. But I forgot to mention that there are 3 invisible machines near the river. so walk along of it and wait till they will get visible. then press [2] on the first actionPanel (where the green Icon up right is the same as on the middle bubble on the actionPanel) and you'll build the machine. after that press E or Q to rotate the actionPanel and get the buildPanel. On that you can click on the turret to select one, for now there's only 1 turret. to build it press F (wanted to change it, but forget it, sry). You can only build the turret near the machine, a green icon will indicate this.

-------------------------------------------
Now to your questions :D
This was just a little project and the very first one with Unity. I worked with a mate on it, and just for 1 month or so. Some hours here, some hours there. it takes more time to bake maps from high-poly meshs onto low-poly meshs (as you model twice) and for coding as you have to write everything and check and fix bugs.. A lot of stuff is missing here, but just wanted to show you guys what it's possible with Unity (I'm uisng the Indie version. It might look cooler with Camera Effects, Shadows and Real-Time reflection water).

Normally it just loads the player and the Game starts immediately, I tested it. Try setting the graphics to low in the Options Menu (ESC to show/hide the cursor then click on the bottom right Gear. This will open the Game Menu. For me it works normal, waiting to load the Player and then I can play without lags (could be from dropbox? Idk)

Level 18
Yeah, I've did several things with Unity and therefore can say it's a nice engine to start with and it has a lot of potential, and gets even better when I saw the updates for the version 4. Everyone, who wants to make games should start with that, best way to learn it ;)

I'll add some more stuff in about a month or so, because I will have some time then to do it. nothing special, though. Beside of that I'm trying to bring some little Facebook TD to work, but that might take even longer ^^

But for now, my major project is a CryEngine 3 Game, that will consume all of my time for now. So yeah, gonna be a 3D-Gamedesigner later on (hopefully) :D

Level 18
kinda.. it's a sum of different stuffs.. sometimes you just need to try and experiment some things to get it work.. sometimes you just need the reference and/or syntax to get the right code.. on the other hand tutorials are helpful, too. Also if you can't find the tutorial you need, you can use similar stuff to use it for your own needs.. depends on a vary of things. :)

Level 20
omg holy sh*t epic! is this playable? are you releasing it for free?

EDIT:
Just noticed you actually released it and had it for free haha

very nice game i must say! a bit confusing though, how to enter full screen mode to avoid your cursor clicking out of the browser?

also idk why but it lags, A LOT when i play it:(

Level 18
Well this is just a Demo, and way unfinished. it was just ment to show some working stuff on the Unity Engine.

There was some command for fullscreen, but I forgot it ^^, the Sad thing is, I packed it as browsergame, and it wasn't the best idea to choose ESC for showing the cursor in the game, it will close the fullscreen mode ^^ (this game was ment to be standalone)

P.S. better answering late then never, hehe :p

Level 18
Well, I'm busy with stuff and not that active anymore here on forums and wc3, it slowly get's outdated, sadly :(
And yes they are made with Unity, same goes for some Browser-based Games like Drakensang online.

Nope didn't made any smartphone games, but I actually wanted to create one in the future, and also started a little project for a facebook game. But other stuff keeps me focused, so this will take a while to be finished ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.