• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

XCOM For SC2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
I'm finally looking at StarCraft II mapping/modding because a friend of mine said now would be a good time to start modding it, so I'm considering doing either a multiplayer map or a single-player campaign. Before I continue, please note that I am not trying to create X-COM for StarCraft II. My aim would be to create a map/mod similar to it; turn-based tactical action with a cover system!

The reason I'm posting here is to get feedback on which would be the best option, as far as what would be more doable as a modder and what would be more fun as a player.

Here are my current options:

Co-Op Mode Co-Op would allow a maximum of 3 players, each of which controlling two of their own soldier units (3 soldiers each if only two players). The players would have to use their soldiers together as a squad and communicate their tactics and moves in order to successfully neutralize the hostile alien targets. For this to work though, it'd have to be done on a 256x256 map. I'd personally prefer a much larger map, but I can't find any tools to extend the map size limit. If I could greatly increase the map size, it'd allow for more 'battlegrounds' to fight on.
Versus Mode This mode would allow two players (at least in the first releases of this map) to fight against each other in a somewhat small variety of battlegrounds. Both players would be able to choose a race and their starting units (with certain restrictions to avoid overpowered setups) unless they chose a different game mode. They'd be allowed a total of 6 units each. The objective will be, of course, to outplay and defeat their opponent's squad in each of the battlegrounds.
Campaign Mode This mode would be a large single-player campaign with a variety difficulties, many battlegrounds, and a system which saves your squad's progress (research upgrades, etc.). Campaign would also have more story to it.

The issue is, like with my WarCraft III modding "career" I'd be doing only the things that I am capable of; terraining, design, story, interacting with community, and possibly simple GUI triggers. My guess is that a project like this would require a more intricate form of triggers, including coded triggers.

If I do carry out with one of the above options (co-op, versus, or campaign) I'd almost definitely need the help of at least one other person (coding & triggers) to complete the project. If I am unable to find said needed coder, I'll just do what I did last time with Wc3:WoW and just release what I have publicly in hopes that a coder or another team of modders does decide to finish the rest of the project.

TL;DR: Is there a tool to expand map size limitations further than 256x256? If not, which game mode would be more doable or more fun? (most likely versus or campaign; co-op would be pointless and boring without a larger map than allowed)

Status
Not open for further replies.