• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WWII Mod:Dream or Reality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, I know that I have my hands full at the moment, but it seems as good a time as any to ponder the most recent war that nearly the world apart. I must ask, what do you think of a WWII mod? The mod would have chapters based on real WWII events.(I bought some books recently and that is what gave me the idea). WWII was a cataclysm of epic proportions and it signified a great change from it's start to it's end. I want to make a memorial to this disastrous event. An event that killed millions of ethnic groups that were not what the germans deemed "Herian". Many died, my family members included. WWII had a good side, but it did not outweigh the consequences. Discuss with me the pros of making a mod that bases the WWII story and sets it into warcraft III. I'd like you to share your opinion with me and anyone else who wants to know it. What would you think of a WWII mod?

Level 6
the most epic con for making a ww2 mod in the spirit that you are intending is that it requires more than a few books. many books debate, contradict, and over - simplify the extroadinarilly complicated situation that unfolded in 1939 (and actually before that.)

the biggest problem is ammasing the correct detailed information and presenting it in a way that makes sense and would be playable. this is the main reason that most of the media around ww2 doesn't actually center around the war but instead tells a small story to set the mood.

the biggest problem that you may encounter is books that are biased (you can have one book for every event in the war and still you won't have the full picture.)

i can definately help you with this as ww2 has been one of my hobbies for at least 7 years.

a good example of common conceptions that are extremely biased towards the west are that the war turned around against germany on D-Day. the fact is that Germany had lost the wra in a much colder place.

in 1942 Hitler launched the largest invasion in history. Operation Barbarossa. millions of troops crossed into the USSR and managed to get all the way to 3 important objectives.
1- Moscow (capitol of the USSR)
2 - Leningrad (cultural capitol of USSR)
3 - Stalingrad

while hitlers forces were stopped at the gates of moscow and Leningrad, hitler had his attention southwards. the city of stalingrad was a major industrial position and provided a strategic position. hitler wanted the oil in modern kazhikstan. if he simply went for it, then the russian armies could move through stalingrad and cut off hitlers troops.

in response, hitler sent a reasonable force to block Soviet troops from crossing. this is all hitler needed to do. but he became obsessed. Stalingrad beared the name of Russias current dictator (joseph Stalin) Hitler sent almost all his forces into this city.

in fact Hitler sent so many men into the city that he had to send his inexperienced allies (romania italy hungarian) to gaurd the areas to the north and sounth of the city.

Zuikov (the russian commander now in charge of the deffense of stalingrad) noticed Hitlers weak position. he ammased a huge army and sorounded Stalingrad.

after this Hitlers entire southern front was in shreds. a desperate attempt to stop the Russians (operation Citadel (also known as Kursk)) was planned and failed miserably. Russia had the advantage and Germany never recovered. Hitler had already moved almost all his forces to the russian front and could no longer win the war.

all of this took place between 1942 - 43. before Operation Overlord took Normandy.

but that doesn't mean D-Day wasn't important. every nation that the russians "freed" became a Comunist satelite. if it were not for Operation Overlord then all of continental europe could have become comunist.

if you want to make a ww2 mod it will have to be a campaighn.

I am aware that it will have to be a campaign and that it will be complicated, but I want to use the best of triggers and cinematics and all such stuff to do this story. I'll also need to have multiple sources of lore, because, as you said, it gets complicated because of extreme bias. Also, what do you or anyone think is the most unbiased country towards WWII? IMO, it is belgium, they are actually incredibly neutral(granted I have the right country, I have to recheck my books). They stayed neutral throughout WWI and WWII. Anyway, I'm going to discuss the matter first, what people think of it, what should be included, important historical points. All and such. Not to mention all the innovations. Yes, if this gets finished-and it will be quite a job to do-then it will be quite amazing. Anyways, keep the feedback coming, I need the stuff if I'm going to start a mod.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Just a thought, why dont you make two (2) campaigns, one from the Allies point of view and one from the Germans point of view. Kinda reuse all the maps from one campaign but have different cinematic's and objectives.

~GL with the project.

Level 6
if you are going to do that you might as we'll base each campaighn on a thater of war.

one on mediteranian/africa/southern europe

one on central europe

one on russian front

one on pacific front

anyway here is my 2nd attempt at a list.

Pre - War
Europe
Annexing of austria and chezoslovakia
Italy invades Ethiopia
USSR attacks Finland
Spanish Civil War (both Germany and russia sent special troops to fight in this war.)

Pacific
2nd Sino Japanese war

THE WAR (by Theater of Operations)

Central Europe
-Fall Weiss or "Case White" (German plan to capture poland)
-Fall Gelb or "Case Yellow" (German plan to conquer France and the Low Countries (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemberg, Denmark, Norway)
-Battle of Britain
-Battle of the Atlantic
-Operation Rutter or later on Operation Jubilee (a test of the D-Day plan that showed many flaws in the invasion that were patched up as a result.)
-Operation Overlord (D-Day)
-Cobra
-Falaise Gap
-Operation Market Garden
-Battle of the Bulge
-Crossing the Rhine

Southern Europe and Africa
-Operation Marita (germany saves Italy from greece)
-Operation Compass (britain counter attacks italy destroys italian 10th army)
-Operation Sonnenblume (Rommel arrives)
-Rommel's first push
-Operation Brevity and Operation Battleaxe (britain counter-attacks)
-Operation Crusader (britain pushes back to El Agheila)
-Rommel's Secound Push (Gazala and Tobruk)
-El Alamein
-Operation Torch (America lands in Moroco)
-Tunisia Campaighn (Kasserine Pass)
-Operation Husky (invasion of sicily)
-Operation Baytown, Operation Avalanche, and Operation Slapstick (invasion of italy)
-Operation Shingle, Operation Diadem (Anzio and the fall of Rome)

Russian Front
-Operation Barbarossa (largest invasion in history
-Operation Typhoon (Hitler Dashes for Moscow)
-Fall Blau "Case Blue" (climaxed in the battle of stalingrad)
-Siege of Leningrad
-Kursk (largest tank battle in history)
-Fall of Berlin

Pacific Front
-Invasion of Phillipeans, Java, Hong Kong, China, Celebes, New Guinea, Pearl Harbour
-Coral Sea
-Midway
-Solomon Islands
-Gilbert, Marshall, Marianas Islands Captured
-Leyte Gulf (first use of Kamakazi's)
-Iwo Jima
-Okinawa
-Hiroshima and Nagasaki
Other Things to Be Aware of:
-Manhatten Project
-Special Attack (japanese codword for kamikazi (they actually invented weapons specifically for this like manned torpedoes and a missile codenamed "Ohka" that was piloted by a man))
-Wunderwaffen (some crazy ideas for secret weapons)

Level 6
one of the hardest areas to get information on is the russian front. soviet source material isn't reliable as they would warp information and withold it from the public. no accurate records were kept in certain circumstances as the government really didn't give a damn how many people died just as long as the enemy suffered more.

as we'll even though German source material is excellent and detailed most of it was destroyed as the Russians approached Berlin.

Hmmmmm, I see, great ideas! Thx warman for your insight on the war and it's many battles. I also need ideas on how to make this mod unique and how to have it happen. I think I'll start with the Central Europe campaign, head on to the japanese campaign, continue into the African battles campaign, and end at the russian front campaign. Although, I think this may not be the best order. Can you help figure out a better order warman?

Level 6
perhaps you could follow a cronological order based on a series of operation's that most people interprit as 1.

to clarify....

i think that for a BETA or as an Introduction you should take a few battles from the Spanish civil war to familiarize people with the game layout and feel. (particularily with armoured tactics and airpower)

if you decide to include the pacific the Sino-Japenese war is perfect for getting people used to infantry and jungle fighting

you should follow this with a cinematic describing the events that took place Before the war in Europe (Annexing of austria Chezoslovakia and Italian invasion of Ethiopia as we'll as a short description of Appeasement and Lebensraum.)

you're first real mission(s) should be centered around Fall Weiss.

you should then move on to Fall Gelb. these should be played as Germany.

finally Introduce Britain in the Battle of Britain, and maybey have a U-Boat Mission thrown in there. this would be the first section of the war.

secound section. Fall of a Dictator
this should detail the events in Africa and Lead up to and climax at the Fall of Rome.
during this perspective should start as axis and switch to allies at the secound battle of El Alamein. the final mission should be the commando raid by Skorzenzy that resqued Musolini from house arrest (as Nazi)

Third Section. Barbarossa
this campaighn should be played as Germany. keep in mind this is the Largest Invasion in human history and should have that epic feel. the USSR was unprepared and poorly equipped. the campaighn should climax at Operation Typhoon. during this operation the Russians should start of regular. but as you near the city center the Russians should start bringing in heavy equipment like the T 34 and KV 1 tanks. you should win the mission before you reach the city center.

Fourth Section. Overlord
this should start off during Operation Overlord. D-Day. it is good to point out that most games take the side of America during this endeavour.

America had 2/5 beaches. Britain had 2/5 beaches. i think it would be nice to point out what the canadians accomplished at Juno beach. it is good to point out that at Juno Canadian forces faced Elite troops that had Fortified themselves inside a town that directly boardered the beach. they also punched further inland than any other army. as we'll you'll have plenty of coverage for america and britain later.

you should then lead into Cobra and the liberation of Paris. Obviously this is played as America.

Next, Operation Market Garden. the Largest airbourn invasion in History. this should be played as American and British Paratroopers along with British Armoured divisions.

finally. the Battle of the Bulge. played as America. here the german's should have a shit load of superior armour (the allies never did have a tank that could compare) but the allies have one thing the germans don't Air Supremecy. unfortunately they won't have access to this untill the weather clears. (the germans should have the ME 262 wich a superior fighter to anything else used in the war but they are outnumbered)

Section 5. Feeding the Bear
this is played as Russia
start off with stalingrad. this city is anhilated. there's death everywhere and the russians aren't even sending in extra troops. the germans should start off better equipped and overconfident in the city. their allies to the north and south however are very weak and undermanned. the russians break germanies allies and suround the city.

next. Operation Citadel. this is the Largest Tank battle in History. Make it feel like it.

Finally the fall of Berlin. the Germans are desperate. they have already lost. so make this a race. you have to beat the other russian general to the city center.

the japanese campaighn should be somewhere in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.