• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WURST: Starting Guide

Level 5
Why?
I've noticed that mostly highly advanced, multi-member map projects are using Wurst and I don't see correlation with Wurst being something hard to learn and use, sure it's a language to learn but after all everyone in map making process touched GUI, variables, JASS or even vJASS, Wurst is non exceptional though work guys put into Wurst is tremendous and even for that sole reason, you should consider using Wurst for your map!

Okay I'll give it a shot?
First, https://wurstlang.org contains tons of information regarding Wurst usage and installation but don't panic, I'm not redirecting you there, everything will be here.

JDK (Since Wurst compiler is running on Java)
Download and install Java Runtime Environment from Java SE Runtime Environment 8 - Downloads
Pick your system version (propably Windows x64 with .exe extension) second from bottom.

If you have Java Development Runtime don't do this, JDK have JRE (JRE don't have JDK)

IDE (Integrated Development Environment)
Download and Install Visual Studio Code from Visual Studio Code - Code Editing. Redefined

You might have your personal favorite IDE but this one have quite usable plugins for Wurst!

Open VSC up, press Ctrl+Shift+X that opens up Extensions (plugins) part of IDE, type in Wurst and install one that has name Wurst language support

Wurstlang
Get latest version from https://grill.wurstlang.org/hudson/...essfulBuild/artifact/downloads/WurstSetup.jar

Chrome might you give false positive on this one

Once opened allow it to update, install and then hit Create Project (it will be generated according to fields in upper part of Wurst Setup)

Open up Visual Studio Code, open directory Wurst Setup created and you're good to go!

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I was writing a similar tutorial myself and never finished it.

For reference: tut | HIVE

I have some formating issues with this, but that is not the main problem I see.
Currently I see two paths for this.
1. You branch out, currently this can be summarized in a very concise way that does not make it worth of a tutorial.
2. This gets graveyarded for being too simple, also there is a guide for getting started WurstScript • Wurst Beginner Guide

edit: graveyarded until author is back and active, currently one month offline. Poke a staff member to get your thread back if you intend to update it.

Last edited: