• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

WOW maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
In the WOW mpq which are the map files? I've found what I believe are the maps:

.wlw - less than 100kb, 4cc is *QIL.
.wlq - less than 100kb, 4cc is 2QIL.
Both contain binary, some 32-bit entries. Some repetitive structure with minor changes - possibly land contour data? File size is about right for that. But why two files? Height field + textures?

.adt - tend to be around 1MB, 4cc is REVM.
Contains references to mdx model files. Lots of data, possibly too much for land contours? Perhaps this is detail, such as doodads (trees) and units in the map. Some adt files in the mpq are essentially empty, perhaps reflecting the absence of interactive detail in empty ocean space, or undeveloped areas?

Is it known how to extract the terrain height data and texture detail from these files? What about doodad placement?

Thanks for any info

Jasmine

Level 13
.adt's are in fact the map files. However, they each contain a "tile" of sorts. The tiles size translates to about 1km by 1km in game, and are named in a grid format. For example, Gm island, wich is the farthis piece of land to the north west on Kalimdor, is called "kalimdor 1_1.adt". The way to accsess this files is with a program called "Nogg-it", which is a map editor for WoW. There is a version for WoW 2.3.3, so you have to have that version for WoW for it to work. I'm not going to link or tell you how to use Nogg-it as it can be used for exploit and such and don't want to get in trouble, so you'll have to learn on your own.

Level 2
Hi Dr00d

interesting... hmmm, from what you said I'm wondering if the water table is defined outside of the adts, since this is more fundamental than the maps, and designers wouldn't want to be explicitly defining water as they construct tunnels and lakes and caves and things. They'd just adjust the water table in that region if the cave wasn't supposed to be flooded, but the lake is supposed to be. I know how programmers think - and it'd be easier this way.

Then I see .wlw = "world level water" maybe??
wlq ="world level something else".. what could this be? What else has levels? Pathing? Unlikely as global pathing isn't needed and it'd just be defined around obstacles in the adt. Fog distance? Or a separate map for the mountains behind the fog?? I like the idea of fog distance, not only for aesthetic value, but also for pulling the fog in tighter increasing low density mesh usage in area with more detail, or switching between map tiles??

Any ideas?

Level 13
Well the reason things don't flood is because it's not a gloabl set level, it's tiled. As in the terrianer's put some here, not there, ect. At the waters edge which ends under the land mass, you can see the indavidual tiles, which are about just big enough for a play to stand, -or swim- in.

Anyway...

From the small editing I've done with the .adt's, the water is contatined in them, yes. There's a few programs out there that will show you the info for the adt's and let you alter, then re load it. I'm no expert on them though. =P

Level 2
okies.. adt has it all :)

I'll take a look at that nog program. There's couple of vids on youtube showing people's fiddling with the game if you search. Looks like fun.

youtube exploit videos

I'll keep you posted. :thumbs_up:

Jasmine

Status
Not open for further replies.