• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] World Of Warcraft III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
hufu5d.png

2z84x3n.png

Hello everyone.
Let me introduce you to a little project of mine.

So the idea for World of Warcraft III has been played with and created a number of times. I myself have attempted such a project many a time before.
Each time I have attempted it, I have not had the knowledge or the patience to create something so massive. Every time I have seen it attempted people seem to make the project way to big and blow it out of proportion, this results in people loosing interest in the project.

The project itself is the idea of creating a WoW like experience in Warcraft 3, or something along those lines.

The last major attempt at this I can remember is a campaign which goes by the name of Warcraft 3: World of Warcraft. Which tried to copy the World of Warcraft world and gameplay using the Warcraft 3 engine.
Another notable published map which did something similar is WoW: Heroes Return. Which instead of creating WoW in Warcraft took what Warcraft 3 had to offer and using resources from WoW itself created a RPG which is still on the same premise as WoW.

This project of mine was inspired by the smaller but still fairly large, for Warcraft 3, scale of Heroes Return. I wanted something which leaned more toward the old War3:WoW project but not as massive as a campaign.

So onto what I have in store.

This project is planned to be a 480x480 map (eventually) of my own design, using WoW resources to create a full and massive landscape.
The gameplay will be more similar to WoW in some aspects in stuff such as, third-person camera, professions, quests etc.
But It is not a copy of WoW, the lore and geometry, for the most part, is going to be original.

255q25s.png

So for this project I have many systems planned for the basic release. A few of these have already been done, but here I will keep an updated changelog whenever I update the project with something. I will also have a list of systems I have planned, am working on and finished.

Progress
  • Third Person Camera System -100%
  • Pets/Companions System - 100%
  • Hero Selection System - 60%
  • Exploration System - 60%
  • Gathering System - 20%
  • Crafting System - 0%
  • Spellbook/Talent/Specilization System - Undecided (Still needs some thought)
  • Quest System - 20%
  • Sound System - 100%
  • Terrain - Starting Zone - 30%
  • Terrain - Hero Selection - 70%
  • Others - ???
Changelog.
Code:
- Version 0.1.0 12/11/2015 -
Third person camera and controls implemented.

- Version 0.1.2 13/11/2015 -
Added a system for pets/companions.

- Version 0.2.0 13/11/2015 -
Hero selection system implemented.
Classes created and added to the Hero Selection System. (Druid, Hunter, Mage, Paladin, Priest, Warlock and Warrior)
Created Pets for certain classes.

- Version 0.2.2 14/11/2015 -
Created and imported models for classes.
Imported tileset for the map.
Setup tiles for the map. (Up to 13)

- Version 0.3.0 15/11/2015 -
Exploration system created and implemented.

- Version 0.3.1 16/11/2015 -
Add various sounds for some systems and testing.

- Version 0.3.2 10/12/2015 -
Created a changelog.
Add some more classes to the Hero Selection System(Shaman and Rogue).
Made adjustments to fit the two classes into the Hero Selection graphical user interface.
Added functionality for more heros in the Hero Selection System.(Paladin, Priest, Shaman, Rogue) All heroes now added.

- Version 0.4.0 11/12/2015 -
Gathering System Implemented.
Tweaked Exploration System.
Balanced Profession leveling.

- Version 0.4.3 04/02/2016 -
Gathering System rewritten due to ineffective coding making expanding the system more difficult than it should have been.
Profession leveling halted till full implementation.
Mapped out the starting zone and fleshed out the spawn area. Screenshots coming soon.

- Version 0.5.0 27/02/2016 -
Sound system created.
Terraining began on starting zone.
Story is being developed.
Herobrine removed.

- Version 0.5.1 28/02/2016 - 
Revamped the Hero Selection System to allow for multiple races and genders.
Added new High Elf Race.
Plans put in place for other races.

2hrcowy.png

(And Races)
The classes in this project are going to follow closely to the World of Warcraft classes.
So the classes will be as follows (Might add more in the future)
Races
  • Human
  • High Elf
  • Tieflng (Draenei)
Classes
  • Warrior
  • Paladin
  • Rogue
  • Mage
  • Hunter
  • Warlock
  • Priest
  • Druid
  • Shaman

More on classes when I design them and start to create abilities.
[/size]

ddjfgj.png

Videos
Not really meant to show off the world or any gameplay.
More of a video diary of what I've done.

Images
Not really meant to show off the world.
More of a picture diary of what I've done.
They are in order.

Warning, they are 1600x900 so brace yourself if you have a screen that size or lower.

204954-albums8728-picture106195.jpg

204954-albums8728-picture106196.jpg

204954-albums8728-picture106197.jpg

204954-albums8728-picture106198.jpg

204954-albums8728-picture106305.jpg

Last edited:
Level 11
I've never found one which stands up to the level of detail I want to attain with this project. Thanks for the encouragement :)

Well, at first I wasn't going to use WoW models, but I don't see any reason not to. It means better quality and more flexibility with the amount of animations creatures and characters have and the amount of variation on doodads I get to work with.

Level 11
Level 10
Good luck with that. All these wc3 wow maps are usually really hardly executed and in my opinion you really need a very unique system to make them fun to play. So I recommend that you try to think of something better than the usual spell book, loot lies on the ground, items in the usual item inventory systems, etc. I am a big fan of multiboard systems which let you lay on more than just 6 items etc.

Level 11
I need some brainstorming for thinking of another way to do spells, if you know of any ways you could think I'll put it into consideration.

I've had a thought about looting and due to the scale and detail of the map I plan on creating a dialog system which will generate loot rolls and display them in a dialog for you to choose what you want to loot. Bag space will also be a thing with variable bag size displayed on screen.

I'm not sure about gear because I don't really want to do the whole helmet, legs, chest, boots, gloves etc...
I will probably do weapons, with attached models for each and other stuff.
But If I do this I'm not to sure how I will deal with scaling up stats and other things. I was thinking of a more in-depth trinket system with slots and other stuff like some other MMOs which have massive customization of the character. Maybe more of an imbueing so you can upgrade the 'armour slots'
The normal Warcraft 3 inventory will be used for consumable items.

Level 10
I need some brainstorming for thinking of another way to do spells, if you know of any ways you could think I'll put it into consideration.

I am currently working on a new single player open world campaign (Not Sechiron Rises a very new one) which I will probably present in a small preview at the end of the week.

I was pretty much inspired by Kotor and Dragon Age, so you got a lot of dialogues and a group of 3-4 characters who also interact with each other etc. I have built a pretty innovative dialogue system (which I havent seen before in wc3 in other maps). Additionally it has a complete reworked battle system that means that I dont use the common battle system of wc3. The system is reworked so much that simply every NPC and Player Character just got stats stored in real time changing variables. When an opponent dies he just makes a death animation (he doesnt die the usual wc3 way) and you can loot him (you can still interact with him), the loot is then shown in a multiboard and via the arrow keys you can take the staff you want. I am also thinking about publishing the single systems in single maps on Hive, so anyone can use them. For example my dialogue system is super simple but doesnt use these ugly dialogue buttons :D Then you will see what I am talking about.

You dont need to make like 10 armor slots, 5 are enough for a one man project (Helm, Gloves, Chest, Boots, Weapon Mainhand and maybe Weapon Offhand), the point is that one should be able to store maybe 30 items in a RPG game and I am not a friend of having 5 bag characters attached to your hero, there I simply like system like in TKoK or my previous campaign TEoP:Sechiron Rises.

Last edited:
Level 11
Whelp, I didn't know it is here as well.

Yep :p
Everything I post here will also be on Warcraft Underground

Interesting how you managed to get the hero icons to face the camera.
Though, using trackables instead of invisible dummy units would be better.

It wasn't to difficult... he says.
I've never used trackables before, I understand that they require JASS to be used. It isn't really something I want to get into... not the I refuse to learn it sense but I just don't want to use it.

I am currently working on a new single player open world campaign (Not Sechiron Rises a very new one) which I will probably present in a small preview at the end of the week.

I was pretty much inspired by Kotor and Dragon Age, so you got a lot of dialogues and a group of 3-4 characters who also interact with each other etc. I have built a pretty innovative dialogue system (which I havent seen before in wc3 in other maps). Additionally it has a complete reworked battle system that means that I dont use the common battle system of wc3. The system is reworked so much that simply every NPC and Player Character just got stats stored in real time changing variables. When an opponent dies he just makes a death animation (he doesnt die the usual wc3 way) and you can loot him (you can still interact with him), the loot is then shown in a multiboard and via the arrow keys you can take the staff you want. I am also thinking about publishing the single systems in single maps on Hive, so anyone can use them. For example my dialogue system is super simple but doesnt use these ugly dialogue buttons :D Then you will see what I am talking about.

You dont need to make like 10 armor slots, 5 are enough for a one man project (Helm, Gloves, Chest, Boots, Weapon Mainhand and maybe Weapon Offhand), the point is that one should be able to store maybe 30 items in a RPG game and I am not a friend of having 5 bag characters attached to your hero, there I simply like system like in TKoK or my previous campaign TEoP:Sechiron Rises.

I did create a dialog system for a weird Stanley Parable like map but it worked through talking to NPCs and other weird choices but it was interesting, haven't really messed with it since.

I am in the middle of creating a combat system which sounds pretty similar. It isn't like KotoR or Dragon Age (odd real time turn based combat) but more to the like of MMOs.
The only thing I'm struggling with is how do I set out spells and such. Perhaps not using the generic leveling system or other factors, I'm not to sure.

For a bag system I won't be having in-game storage it'd be variable based storage, so every item will have an ID and that gets stored into an array and bla bla bla boring coding stuff, basically you'll get a multiboard or something to view it.

Level 10
I didnt meant a turn based combat system, my map will also have real time combat. Yeah I will post the Map Development Threat here when I've finished my map preview plus video clip it will give you the right imagination.

Level 11
IT'S NOT DEAD... YET...

Basically, I've nearly finished my last year at college so I'm doing a lot of work in that department of my life.

BUT

The map is going through a lot of development changes.
Let me tell you what's going on!

First, I'm re-writing the hero selection system as to make it a bit more informative and just generally better looking/easier to create multiple race/class combinations and other fun stuff (current one can't do this)

I'm currently struggling with the combat system.
Basically WoW uses a threat/distance modifier. If your character is more of a threat(higher level) the closer you have to be for it to attack you.
I can't recreate this quite as elegantly in warcraft 3 but I am messing with a few ideas to make it work :)
This is taking majority of my time because it's really hard to fine-tune it so it works as intended.

I'm also retouching the camera system, because it's a bit jerky... but this is just a warcraft 3 problem.

The current lore I have in place is being scrapped for a more WoW like lore. Basically cba to explain why Draenei might appear in this universe so... just going to use WoW lore in a non-WoW environment and explain it some other way(Different planet perhaps?)

This project needs you!
we-need-you.jpg

Character Rippers
(Even if you don't know how)
If you have experience in ripping characters from WoW OR would like to learn how to rip character models from WoW
I need you, I can't be doing all the ripping and creating of the map. So if you want to learn contact me anyway you like and I'll personally show you how to rip a character model so you can help :)

Terrain Advisers(Or something similar)
I want to work with someone who is much more accustom to terraining playable terrain. My own terrain is kinda hap hazard and I'm not sure what I should do really. Basically I need a second opinion from someone who is at least a little bit competent and maybe has a (not necessary) background of creating WoW like terrain.

Story people(Generally people who're good with progressive story telling)
Could really do with some guys who're real chill and just want to talk over potential story lines and lore. Create characters and design lore for areas and other such things to do with the world and characters. And quests... nearly forgot about quests

If you want to help but don't really know what you can do, just contact me. I'm sure we can find you something to do :)

Systemfre out

Level 11
Yeah I've had a look at a few different ones

It's not the idea of who dealt the most damage that I'm struggling with as much of as it is, at what distance is it appropriate for the mob to actually attack you. I'm not sure what defines this in the object editor.

One of the problems I'm having is when you attack a hostile nearby hostiles, even if they aren't in range, will also attack you at a certain distance which is also fairly odd.

But I have a few ideas for it.

Level 10
Man, this project looks awesome ! I think you should hide those hp bar while choosing a hero. While watching your alpha-footage, I notice that your terrain is somehow kinda' a little bit empty ? I suggest you to add more doodads around so it will be more pretty looking. Hmm, in my own opinion I think that bushes don't fit well with the terrain. Good luck on this project man ! This will gotta be a huge project. ;)

+Rep

Status
Not open for further replies.