• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
Hmm i reckon this could go horribly wrong. I mean whats next? Imagine other companies follow blizzard's lead and start offering mod makers a place in an online shop. It'll kinda ruin modding it'll just become like retail gaming :(

on the other hand didn't blizz also say that DOTA wouldn't be popular enough to qualify for a premium spot?

But if there are any map makers out there who truly do it as a hobby then please use ads/websites... Blizz has enough fucking income from wow! -.-

Level 25
Hmm i reckon this could go horribly wrong. I mean whats next? Imagine other companies follow blizzard's lead and start offering mod makers a place in an online shop. It'll kinda ruin modding it'll just become like retail gaming :(

on the other hand didn't blizz also say that DOTA wouldn't be popular enough to qualify for a premium spot?

But if there are any map makers out there who truly do it as a hobby then please use ads/websites... Blizz has enough fucking income from wow! -.-

You know, they doesn't FORCE people to upload their maps their, so if you think of it, it will become the mappers greed which determines how the modding will go..

Level 14
Dude it's not like any game will become a premium, it prolly has to be something in the quality of a indie game and also have original content ( I think atleast ), maps like dota wouldn't make it since it doesn't have much original content for instance.

edit: also I think it's a good thing that people get paid for their work.

Level 9
What i said is basically a Joke.
You see, The Galaxy Map Editor, is Extremely powerful, far powerful than the warcraft 3 Editor, and as u saw with what they made in the editor, Its easy to say that Its an Editing software with a built in game.

Level 4
I agree that map makers should get paid for all their work in the "modding industry".

But what I don't like is this:
Me and a couple friends make an OK map. Put some ripped models and textures in. Make a cool scene based on the map, then

If it sells on a blizzard portal:
Make the map free, get TONS of fake downloads on it, rape it with good comments and votes. Patch it. Release it for money. ($1) About 100 people download the map for $1. Make a couple new users and do it again.

If it sells by plays:
No one would buy plays for even the good games.

If you have to buy the map once:
Maps would get pirated, mappers/modders will make no money.

If its ad revenue:
That makes money?

I just don't like the idea, it smells like scams galore.

Unless blizzard is going to make B-Net a paid subscription like WoW and pay the map makers with some of that money based on map playability, this idea will get them (and the map makers) NOWHERE.

Unless blizzard has some way to prevent frauds/scams this would be a horrible idea.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Once again, it is obvious that this feature is intended as a SC2 DLC feature. Basically the only maps worth of being sold are probably whole 100 hour campaigns with as much custom content as the included campagins.

Basically I believe this feature is for blizzard themselves mostly so they can keep making campaigns after the 2 expansions and sell them for money (so people do not have to buy sims like expansions where they come in boxes of 20). Basically lore people will be happy while multiplayer people do not have to deal with dozens of expansions.

Infact by them doing thus they could even remove 1 of the expansions alltogether and release its campaigns as paid DLC. However this might hurt modders due to reduced content and features.

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

woah woah woah. Hold on a sec. Lemme get this straight. Blizzard is, instead of ripping people off, giving people money for a change?
Ho. Ly. Shit.

Wait. Where is our payment for modding wc!

we want out money!

Level 6
Dota is popular because it is so simple it is remedial. most people don't have the effort or intellegence to learn how the other games work, new people see Dota's everywhere, assume that it's good, play it constantly, and are too lazy to learn anything else.

my first game was tank wars. i'm glad i found a few strategy games after that.

p.s. I doubt Dota will be AS popular, because heroes have been excluded from starcraft 2 (thankfully) this will make Dota harder to simulate, and understand, as most of the features will be created through coding, wich is what makes strategy games complicated in the first place.

Level 12
Warman, hero support IS in Starcraft 2 for the sake of modding. The videos they showed didn't show it, but it IS there and I'm sure if need be I can link proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.