• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World Editor not working 1.26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hello,

I'm attempting to install 1.26 WE. I have not bought reforged but am using the latest version of wc3 which I found to 1.32d through the WE. The first thing I did was download a separate version of wc3 and set it to patch 1.26 using

Warcraft 3 Legacy Installer (1.21b - 1.27a)

This successfully installed wc3 1.26 but it would not open the 1.26 WE, it would only open the reforged editor and I knew this because no matter how I tried opening maps it would load reforged graphics.

I eventually ended up uninstalling all traces of wc3 from my computer and trying the link above again. This once again does not open the world editor and asks me with what program I want to open maps with. Whenever I choose WE it just keeps asking me the same thing.

I have also tried
[Solved] - World Editor Not opening.

which basically cleared the registries but this also does not work.

What can I do to get 1.26 WE to work?

Level 20
WorldEdit 1.32 changes a Registry entry that doesn't play nice with the older versions of the editor. I've documented it extensively and submitted it to Blizzard, but this is unlikely to get fixed by them since they don't want people doing this in the first place.

World Editor versions issue with Windows Registry

Full path of key located at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\WorldEdit

The key in question is called “Tool Windows” under “WorldEdit”. The value the 1.32 editor changes this to will cause any older version of WorldEdit to crash when this was not the case prior to the last patch.

=====

What I ultimately did was make a .Reg file for what the value of "Tool Windows" should be for 1.26 and apply that whenever I need to use the older editor again. Every time you run the 1.32 Editor again it changes the value back.

I can't post the actual file because of various reasons, but this is its contents more or less:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\WorldEdit]
"Tool Windows"=hex:00,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
80,06,00,00,00,00,00,00,80,07,00,00,e3,03,00,00

Level 7
What I ultimately did was make a .Reg file for what the value of "Tool Windows" should be for 1.26 and apply that whenever I need to use the older editor again. Every time you run the 1.32 Editor again it changes the value back.
This does not work. The OS cannot allow you to import a Hex value into registry. A binary key value is needed.

It worked for me when I deleted the key named "Tool Windows".

Level 20
This does not work. The OS cannot allow you to import a Hex value into registry. A binary key value is needed.
That value is exactly what the old World Editor has for it and deleting it over and over won't change that.

And beside which what in the world are you using if RegEdit doesn't accept something it generated itself?

Level 3
is this the only way to access an old version of the editor? Could you explain in a little more detail exactly how to do it? I dont know what making a .Reg file means for instance :) Also, do I need different values for different versions of the game? Im on 1.27b atm

Level 24
WorldEdit 1.32 changes a Registry entry that doesn't play nice with the older versions of the editor. I've documented it extensively and submitted it to Blizzard, but this is unlikely to get fixed by them since they don't want people doing this in the first place.

World Editor versions issue with Windows Registry

Full path of key located at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\WorldEdit

The key in question is called “Tool Windows” under “WorldEdit”. The value the 1.32 editor changes this to will cause any older version of WorldEdit to crash when this was not the case prior to the last patch.

=====

I can't post the actual file because of various reasons, but this is its contents more or less:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\WorldEdit]
"Tool Windows"=hex:00,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
Oh that helped me thx.

Level 1
@Razorclaw_X you are my savior. Thank you!

I can confirm the same hex value for the register works also for versions higher than 1.26 of wc3 classic.

For people that don't know what .reg files are and how to work with them, it's very simple.
Just:
  • Win+R, type regedit, execute, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\WorldEdit
  • File > Export, and this will allow you to export the currently selected node as a .reg file. This is your backup.
  • Copy your backup (I assume you have a version that comes from wc3 Reforged, as I had. In that case, the file contains the registry values that the Reforged installation set up. You can read them to get an idea of what they are about, if you are curious. It's nothing special)
  • Change the copy of your backup (which you can rename wc3_wordedit_126.reg or wc3_classic_wordedit.reg or something similar, just to remind you that you are going to create a registry file with values that are correct for wc3 classic 1.26+): right click on the file > edit (windows should open that with notepad, but you can use any text or code editor), locate the value you want to change (it's "Tool Windows"). You will get to a line with a format like:

"Tool Windows"=hex:BUNCH OF NUMBERS

Just replace "BUNCH OF NUMBERS" with the numbers from above, so that your line looks like (backslash included, it's actually 2 lines because the numbers continue on the line below "Tools Windows"):

• Now save your .reg file, and you can just double click to execute it (or from regedit: File > Import > import your 1.26+ file), accept all the windows warnings that are trying to scare you away.
  • Fire your old editor
  • Profit!

Status
Not open for further replies.