• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] World editor concerns/questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hello there ! I've tried some Reforged custom maps , custom hero maps more exactly and I would like to express my concerns/questions.

When they announced Reforged they told us that there will be world editor improvements, but for me it is still limited and Damage detection systems can go as far with an old engine like that and it will never as complex like a SC 2 or Dota 2 engine.I hope I'm wrong but some examples are:
-Attack modifiers still exist - This was removed in Dota 2 and gave more options/fun regarding builds. In War 3 you can't stack them and you can't have Multishot + Incinerate + Frost Arrows at the same time for example which is sad.
-Limited number of attack/armor types like Hero,Chaos,Heavy etc.
-Types of damage - You can't have multiple types of damage from spells or auto attacks like Fire, Water, Chaos, Physical, Nature etc. and damage reductions for each type.
-Spells which scale with your attributes or different sources of power/types of damage - This is available is many maps but only to an extent and it isn't a default option for the editor, it requires a lot of work depending on the spell, for many spells it is just impossible.
-Number of attacks for second - Sources of attack speed(Bloodlust, Agility , Endurance Aura etc.)I'll give a comparison here so it makes sense. A unit in W3 with 450% attack speed has the same attack speed as an unit with 500% attack speed , every unit has a specific cap for attacks per second. In Dota 2 this isn't as limited and the engine allows you to go much higher.
Now , in W3 there are ways to go around that with, with Combat - Attack - Cooldown Time but only in some specific circumstances. The point I want to make is that attack speed is too limited.
-User interface doesn't show important details of units like movement speed , health regeneration, number of attacks per second , damage reductions to different sources , attack projectile speed etc.
-Heroes are limited to 3 stats only , you don't have the option to expand that
-Inventory size

I can point out other things as well but I think these are the main issues. Are these limitations going to be addressed ? Custom maps and map development can be a much better experience and with more options from a creative standpoint and I don't think this can be achieved with an old system.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Just about every single one of these can be achieved one way or another. The new UI natives can reshape the entire face of the game.

But it's true that these aren't readily available in the editor and are hard to manage if not impossible using only GUI.

Learn how to use Lua/other languages that can be transpiled to Lua and it will open up a lot more freedom of control.

Level 4
Just about every single one of these can be achieved one way or another. The new UI natives can reshape the entire face of the game.

But it's true that these aren't readily available in the editor and are hard to manage if not impossible using only GUI.

Learn how to use Lua/other languages that can be transpiled to Lua and it will open up a lot more freedom of control.
My point is that many features should be available by default in the Editor , that would help a lot average map makers who don't necessarily have to learn different type of languages in order to make a good and creative map.

Multiple hero stats, larger inventory ,removing attack modifiers and making every single one stack with each other, multiple armor/damage types and also multiple sources of spell damage like fire,lightning etc which scale with resistances accordingly ? Is this possible ? I've never seen anything like that. And even if it is possible my guess is that it requires a lot of coding skills and time and again , these type of RPG features should be more accessible if not be default options in the editor.

That is why I believe the engine/editor should have been overhauled if not changed to a modern one because it will always be limited compared to a modern one.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I do agree with your point, I just wanted to clarify that this stuff is technically possible.

Anyway, Blizzard failed miserably with Reforged and all of the promises have been scrapped/shelved. This is the reality unfortunately. Sure, we will get some small editor improvements here and there over time, but I doubt anything ever major.

There's some simple things that could be done over the course of a week that would improve the editor experience tenfold. But they simply don't care to spend the time to do so as it's an old game and I imagine at this point they just want it to die out (not before suckering people into buying it one last time).

Along with the things you've already listed, we should've had these years ago:
-Changing hotkeys via triggers
-Changing order ids of any ability (why does this option even exist if it doesn't work?)
-An improved Channel ability or new custom template abilities (allowing options for Autocast/Instant abilities like Berserk, buff control, etc)
-Countless other things i'm too tired to remember

Maybe i'm ignorant to just how difficult it is to implemen this stuff, but it really does feel like Blizzard isn't even trying to make the game better. So far all that Reforged has accomplished is the removal of a key feature (custom campaigns), failing to have proper matchmaking (everyone's using PADS ladder/other 3rd party stuff), and failing to hold true to advertised content (cinematics/ui/etc).

There's some very minor improvements sprinkled here and there but these improvements are things we should've gotten in a patch 10 years ago.

• Set VariableSet SomeVar = 0
Set VariableSet... How long has Reforged been out and little stuff like this still hasn't been fixed? How do you not fix this in the first 1-2 weeks of release?

Such a shame.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.