• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Working on new blood effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to Gekigengar for noticing that the current combat system actually doesn't have a blood effect on taking damage.
Anyway, I've decided to create a completely custom blood effect since the ones already in game are a bit too random and underwhelming.

Here's current progress:
124756-albums909-picture72328.gif
124756-albums909-picture72329.gif

(The dust is part of the knockback system and is not related to the blood fx)
(the gifs are slightly faster and have slightly screwed colors)

So..
  • Got any improvement suggestions?
    • Yeah the .gifs are pretty messy but any feedback is welcome!
  • Got ideas for a related sound effect?
    • The sound should be a simple but fitting indicator which tells that the player has been hit.
    • It should be an in-game sound that can be used as an event object for the effect model.
    • I'm currently using the "Arrow hit" sound and "Artillery death" but I'm wondering if there's better alternatives.
  • Other feedback?
    • Is the effect too excessive? Or could something be added?

You could use the Combat Sounds such as: Metal Light Slice Flesh or Metal Heavy Slice sounds for I can see they fit perfectly and it is a sound when getting hitted.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, that would probably be the ideal sound effect.
However, I can't find any combat sounds when choosing a sound for the model event object (missile, ability and unit death sounds are available though).
I also don't want to play the sounds with triggers as wc3 is very clumsy at handling sounds that way.
It would also be a waste of filesize to re-import the combat sound with a path that would be available as event object.

Maybe make the blood effects different per each ability? I mean, example, the Power Slam will
make you bursts blood upward when hitted, Lunge to the direction you got hitted, etc etc.
you need a lunge version of blood spray.
Hmm, perhaps.
Although, the way the system is designed, it would be easier to assign blood effects according to the damage amount.
and whats that dust o.o

The dust looks like fart just because its orangey!
It's the epic knockback system.
I've already adjusted it to only spawn dust on high velocities but too lazy to make a new gif.
Maybe you should reduce the size of the blood effect a little bit.
Hmm, gotta test it in game a bit and see if it needs reducing.

Thanks & +rep for the suggestions!

Any progress with the blood effect? :)

The actual effect has pretty much remained in the same form.
However, there's been some system improvements related to the effect.
  • The knockback dust no longer appears to make a mess when slashed
  • The blood effects do not show unless the target receives more than 10 hp damage in the hit
    • This means there won't be massive blood sprays when being kicked or hit during spawn protection

Here's a bit messed up recording to demonstrate:
124756-albums909-picture72640.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.