• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Workflow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hiya!

It has been years since I last opened the editor let alone JNGP. So I'm basically wondering about how map development has changed over the years.

1. What type of tools are used these days?
  2. Do I still need a custom editor for vJass?
  3. Is vJass even still the preferred language?
  4. Have people integrated source control like git somehow into the editor?
New questions since post #3:

5. How do I find where a code error is? Like, I have "variable is uninitialized" but I for the life of me can't figure out which trigger file that is. I've relied way too much on an IDE having some concept of a global search. I can't see any scope or library prefixes indicating :|

6. So all my unintialised structs and ints etc are giving me compiler errors :| How to find all and fix easily?

Last edited:
Level 38
  1. Just the vanilla editor (updated to 1.30 or 1.31 seems like 1.32 has some weirdo bugs now)
  2. No, it's integrated now as of 1.29; all vJASS is now 'native' to the editor
  3. Yes, but you can also use Lua instead which is fully supported by the 1.30+ editor. A map can only have vJASS or Lua, but not both, so you have to decide early on in map dev. There are also some vJASS -> Lua transpilers out there.
  4. Not really, only through Wurst still. @Frotty can say more about this, I'm not too knowledgeable.

Level 18
Have people integrated source control like git somehow into the editor?
You can save your map as a folder instead of a .w3x file now, which should make it easier to use source control.
For triggers, you can also use external editors (which I highly recommend since the vanilla editor does not have syntax highlighting). In this case it depends on what programming language you choose. For (v)Jass you can use something as simple as notepad++, while for example with C#, you can use visual studio, which also has integrated source control.

Status
Not open for further replies.