• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wizards Manor - Sandbox Game [Originaly from Jsprat100]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Yep Jsprat100 bailed on it, i wanted it, I asked him if I could take it, and he gave it.

Originaly from Jsprat100
Complements to grygon for the thread layout (it's neater now eh ;D)

Wizards Manor

|H|ello, welcome to this new map idea, origianally from Jsprat100, now run by me(neku99) and grygon.
This is a sandbox game where you play as a wizard and try to level up your arcane skills and complete mini-games. Lets start at the beginning.

Stats System

At the start you get stat points, these you can put into skills to upgrade them. Currently there are two skills planned. They are:

Skill - Your skill level determines the kind of items you can craft. In other words, the higher your skill, the more things are avaliable to you.
Basically if your skill is higher than your chosen item, you can craft it.

Magic - Your magic level unlocks elemental spells. These spells can enhance certain things or perform tasks faster. (see below for examples of tasks)

Your stats can be viewed on a multiboard.

The Manor

After picking your skills, you are shown the manor. There are 3 main rooms, known as the wings, which branch off from a center point. There are a further 4 rooms, known simply as the inner rooms.

Alchemy Wing - The wing in which the wizard practises alchemy. More on alchemy once the map gets started.

Incubator Wing - The wing in which the wizard practises creature creation. More on creature creation once we get the map started.

Stable Wing - The wing in which the wizard holds the dragons which pull his chariot (I know, I know) and perform other tasks, they can be fed and matured. Slightly less important, but still fun. Probably not in the first release, though.

Library - The library is where, if you spend enough time here, you can learn new things, such as more alchemy potions. Also stores books which will most likely come in the later releases.

Dormatory - This is where the wizard sleeps. It can be used to get to certain times (either morning, midday or midnight). Time is important for numerous reasons, as you will find out soon enough.

Teleporter - The teleporter, if it is supplied with a warp gem, it can take you directly to the shops.

Arena - The arena should be where creatures are hatched if the wizard believes them to be in any way dangerous. If they turn out to be dangerous, the enchanted suits of armour will fight them. For hatching see below.

Alchemy

Alchemy will most likely be the first release, and is the easiest skill. You first select the potion you want to create. The recipe will be shown with an undecided system. Next, you go to the cauldron to start creating it. From there you can do multiple options.

Reagents - Reagents are needed as the base, and at least one reagent is added at the first step. The wizard has unlimited supplies of some reagents, but others will need to be bought from the shops.

Stir and Broil - Stiring and Broiling are steps that are added to, to be honest, pad out the process. Stirring is normally needed after adding liquid reagents and broiling after solid reagents.

Enchant - Uses an elemental spell on it. This is only used on the more advanced recipes.

Bottle - Bottling the mixture ends the process and gives you one of two items: Failed Mixture or The potion you were creating. Failed Mixtures have pretty much no value what so ever.

More to come soon

For example, to create a 'Flame Cocktail' you need to add a dragons scale and broil, then bottle. Simple enough. Flame Cocktails are easy to make and are used in numerous other things.

Now what is there to do with your finished potion? Well you could sell it at the potions emporium to earn money for new ingredients, or it might be used in another activity, or you could test it on something. You could always drink it yourself, it might give the wizard extra speed, extra skill or some other effect, you don't know until you try.

Creature Creation

Creature creation, probably released after alchemy is up and running, is a more complicated thing. With Alchemy, you are given strict instructions on what to do, but with Creature Creation, you need to work it out yourself. To start off, you need to put the base item into the incubator. This is most likely an egg or fossil. Next, other things need altering.

Atmosphere - Inside the incubator, the atmosphere can be altered. It can be sunny and warm, snowy and cold, dark and spooky, stormy and frightening, rainy and damp, foggy and misty and many others.

Terrain - The terrain also needs to be altered. Grass, Sand, Rocks, Water, Ice, even Lava or another animals body.

As I said, the instructions will not read 'To create a vitality wisp, place an uncorked health potion into the incubator in sunny conditions with grass terrain.' It might instead read: 'To create a vitality wisp, place an uncorked health potion into the incubator. Vitality wisps are used to heal organic matter by using solar energy'

Now what to do with your new creature. First off, hatch it if it needs to be hatched and stick it in a cage. You can either sell it to the Creature Dealer, see how it fares in the arena, or keep it for reagents. Vitality wisps give off spores which are used in potions, for instance. Some higher level creatures do strange things, such as cause reagents to multiply or change day into night.

Dragon Training

If you find special tomes, you can train the stabled dragons to do two things:

Work - Teaching a dragon to work will get you to the market faster. It normally takes around 5 game hours to get to the market on an untrained dragon, but the time is reduced by 45 minutes for each level, with a maximum of 5 levels. That means a fully trained worker can get you to the market in 1 hour 15 minutes.

Fight - Teaching a dragon to fight will allow you to fight your dragon against creatures in the arena - this is the only combat in the game. Every level gives your dragon a new ability:
1 - attack, 2 - fireball, 3 - regeneration, 4 - breath of fire, 5 - rebirth
A level 5 fighting dragon will allow you to fight in special competitions to earn reagents or tomes as prizes!

Shopping

To get to the market, you can either use your chariot, which takes 5 game hours at the start of the game but can be reduced through dragon training, or warp gems, which are expensive but take no time at all. The market consists of 5 shops, which change depending on the time.

The shops are:

Potion Emporium - Buys and sells potions and reagents. Closes at night.

Creature Dealer - Buys and sells creatures and creature parts. Closes at night.

Tome Store - Buys and sells tomes and books (will probably not be implemented in the first release) Open 24 hours a day.

Gem Collector - Sells warp gems. Open 24 hours a day.

Black Market - Sells dark magic items that cannot be sold. Closes during the day.

Day/Night

The time of day plays a big part in wizards manor, as you can see:

Market - You have just seen that a special shop opens at night time only.

Reagents - Some reagents will only work during the day or the night. Also, when the greenhouse is added, some plants will only grow at certain times.

Creatures - Creatures can be nocturnal (sleep at day), diurnal (sleep at night) or everwaking (never sleep/ethereal). This means that they can't perform their abilities or be sold when they are asleep, unless specified (the dream warden, for instance, has an ability called 'dream catcher' that only activates when it is sleeping)

Poltergiest - The poltergiest shows up on random nights to help or hinder. More often than not he will steal reagents or spook animals, but sometimes he will leave trails of the unique 'ghost residue' which can be used in an advanced potion.

Thats it so far, but if you have suggestions or comments, please share them with me. You might think it is a bit childish, but that contributes to its charm I think.

Thanks for reading

Current Team:

Leaders:
neku99 - Me /Ideas/Project head
grygon - GUI Triggering/Ideas/Second in command

I'll be posting up my ideas and editing some stuff as soon as I can

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.