• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wizard Wars ORPG/RTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
attachment.php

Who Am I?
Hello I am Arcmage. I have been making wc3 maps since 2009 primarily my map Fortress Builder. However I have had an idea for an ORPG like map for a long time. Now if you would indulge me I would like to share that idea with you.​

Whats different about this RPG?

The first thing you are probably thinking of is why would I want to work on another RPG that is just like every other RPG except worst? The real question is what makes this RPG different from the hundreds of other wc3 RPGs? Let me try to answer that.​

Brief Summary
First Wizard Wars is not a save/load rpg. It is an RTS/ORPG in which the goal is to eliminate all others players (by killing their hero). Second your hero is not the common grinder you will find in most Wc3 RPGs. Rather than going around slowly working your way up your hero is powerful summoner who can create or destroy armies with its abilities. The effect of this is that Wizard Wars is more of an RTS game focused around a single hero than a traditional wc3 RPG. Heros gain levels by collecting skill books. Level then grant stat points and ability points which can be used to upgrade your heros stats and buy new abilities. Abilities are organized into four types of magic Dark, White, Synthetic, and Wild. In any single game you can focus on a single type of magic or use multiple fields.
Details

Terrain
Wizard wars terrain will be a wilderness like area filled with creeps who drop xp items and a boss creeps who drop large xp items. Several villages will be scattered around the map. The villages will contain villagers who can be converted into soldiers through White Magic. The village structures will also be convertible via White Magic and will periodically spawn units for the controller. Dark mages will be able to destroy these villages and reanimate the structures into undead structures granting similar bonuses. I have drawn up a preliminary map of what it might look like. If someone wants to terrain they are free to change my plans.
attachment.php

Heros
Heros will advance by gaining Xp through xp items and via spells and structures. This means heros are not required to grind or risk their lives on the battlefield. On the contrary having your hero killed means defeat so bringing it to the battlefield will always be a risk. As heros level up they upgrade there stats and abilities. All players use the same base hero (Magician) who is customized by selecting stats and abilities. The last ability of each of the four types of magic transforms your hero into a different form (Lich, Phantom Archmage, Archdruid, or Angel). Heros have three stats Essence, Power and Insight. Essence gives your more mana and mana regeneration. Power increases the effects of spells. Insight allows you to cast higher level spells.

Units
Units in Wizard Wars have their own custom life/damage scaling. Life starts at 10 and damage at 1. No unit has armor and no attack deals random amounts of damage. This allows player to play more strategically and avoids the computational confusion of having unnecessarily large numbers. It also makes the map easier to balance.​

Dark Magic
Dark magic is primarily focused on building and supporting armies of the undead. Early undead units degenerate over time but later game units are permanent. Many undead units are also in some way virulent spreading to units they kill (such as zombies).

Spell List
  1. Raise Melee Undead - Raises 1 of 10 different melee units depending on Spellpower
  2. Raise Ranged Undead - Raises 1 of 10 different ranged units depending on Spellpower
  3. Dark Ritual - Grants xp at the price of life, mana, and a nearby corpse.
  4. Animate Structure - Turns a destroyed village structure into an undead structure under your control.
  5. Raise Undead Mage - Raises a skeletal mage. The skeletal mage can summon undead of its own. Its mana is based on spellpower.
  6. Necromancers Aura - grants nearby undead life regeneration (halts degenration).
  7. Enhance Undead - makes a target undead unit permanently stronger.
  8. Summon Spirit - summons a spirit does not require a corpse
  9. Terminate - deals massive damage to a single target unit or hero
  10. Raise Giant Undead - uses multiple corpses to summon a flesh giant.
  11. Lich Transformation - transforms the caster into a lich. (More damage and health, can revive at phylactery upon death)

White Magic
White magic is focused on interacting with villages. It can convert villagers into soldiers and peacefully capture village structures. Most of its abilities are focused on converting neutral units and then supporting/empowering them.

Spell List
  1. Convert Melee Unit - converts a villager into 1 of 10 melee units based on spell-power
  2. Convert Ranged Unit - converts a villager into 1 of 10 ranged units based on spell-power
  3. Revelation - Grants the hero xp in exchange for mana, height cool down.
  4. Convert Structure - Converts a village structure to your side causing it to periodically spawn units for you.
  5. Heal - Heals all units in an area. AOE and amount healed based on spellpower.
  6. Inspire - Permanently upgrades a friendly unit
  7. Convert Priest- Converts a villager into a priest who can cast support spells. Priests mana based on spellpower.
  8. Pacify - Renders enemy units in an area unable to attack. AOE and duration based on Spellpower
  9. Destroy undead - deals damage to all undead units in an area.
  10. Recruit Knight - Long cast time, recruits a powerful knight unit.
  11. Angelic Ascension - Transforms caster into an angel. (Can fly, powerful buffing aura)

Synthetic Magic
Synthetic magic is focused on constructing artifacts of various types. These include items, structures and units.

Spell List
  1. Create Electrode - Creates a number of electrodes (Wisp like unit) which can construct units structures or items. Electrodes can merge to form larger electrodes which build more advanced artifacts. Artifacts types must be unlocked
  2. Robotics - Unlocks unit artifacts
  3. Large Scale Artifice - Unlocks structure artifacts
  4. Personal Artifice - Unlocks item artifacts
  5. Repair - Heals a mechanical unit for a large amount of life
  6. Upgrade - Upgrades a robotic unit permanently
  7. Charge - gives a unit or structure a large amount of mana (many artifacts require mana to function)
  8. Deconstruct - deals % damage to a target unit over time. Can deal 100% damage if spellpower is high enough.
  9. Teleportation - Long ranged blink ability, unlocks warp-gate artifact.
  10. Golem Craft - Unlocks the largest and most powerful artifact units
  11. Phase Mastery - Transforms the hero into a phantom archmage (Ethereal, longer ranged teleportation, increased mana regeneration)

Wild Magic
Wild magic is focused on training very large monster units and dealing direct damage.

Spell List
  1. Tame Beast - tames a neutral hostile beast unit (suicidal classifications will be given to beast units). Spellpower determines maximium power of the beast.
  2. Grow Beast - makes a tamed beast grow larger permanently more powerful
  3. Breed Beast - creates a copy of a tamed beast. Copy retains a fraction of the originals growth based on spellpower
  4. Fireball - Deals AOE damage to an Area
  5. Lightning bolt - Deals high damage to a single unit
  6. Windswept defense- grants the caster resistance to ranged attacks
  7. Train Beast - Gives a tamed beast an ability, ability based on spellpower.
  8. Endurance - grants aditional life
  9. Eyes of the land - Grants vision of all enemy mages, duration and aoe based on spellpower
  10. Quake - Deals heavy damage and slows units in an aoe
  11. Wildland ascendance - Transforms caster into an Archdruid (more life, greater spellpower)

Who Am I Looking for?
Anyone who wants to help is of course welcome to join. However the most vital thing would probably be a terrainer. I am much stronger at coding and doing object editor work than I am at terraining. Someone to help with all the coding would also be much appreciated. Knowledge of vJass (that is what I use) is preferred. Anyone with decent knowledge of the object editor would also be big help in reducing my workload.

Anyone who joins the team will be given credits in the title page and will be able to make creative changes to the outline given above. They will also have my eternal gratitude.

Progress so far.
I started working on this map only very recently but the idea has been in my head for a long time. So far I have only implemented the system for hero progression (buying abilities/stats) and the first three Dark Magic spells. I have worked on and completed a large scale map almost entirely on my own in the past so I am confident I can turn this map into a reality. Especially if anyone in this skilled community would be so gracious as to help me. I attached my current (very early) version. It is just a demonstration of a few systems not a playable map.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• Map.png
    Map.png
    216.7 KB · Views: 416
  • logo2.png
    logo2.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 309
  • Wizard Wars.w3x
    575.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Level 6
Sure anyone who would like to help is welcome to. What aspect of the map would you like to work on? What are your skills? I was planing on collaborating via dropbox so if you have a dropbox account or don't mind making one you could send it to me via pm. If you have some other preferred method of tell me.

Level 11
i dont know lol... i am a all rounder type :3 but since you use jass, i cannot really help with your triggers... maybe i could do some simple terraining for you and yes i am fine with dropbox :3

Status
Not open for further replies.