• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WIP: The SC2 human base model

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently working on a basic human dolltype model for upcoming SC2 maps, especially rpgs with attachment models.

I completed the mesh today and will start unwrapping and skinning tomorrow.

Don't worry about the head ... this is just a placeholder for animating purposes and will be completely removed once the animations are done, to allow head-attachments. Of course, I will also create a couple of heads for this model too. ^^

The model will have dozens of custom animations; all types of attacks (melee, swords, two-handed animations, bow, guns, dual wield, staves), such as multiple cast animations (at least 5 of them) ... and maybe also a shield block animation.

I hope this will establish as the basis for all future attachment models created for SC2.

PS: A female version is also planned.

Attachments

• Slideshow4.jpg
    Slideshow4.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 1,144
Last edited:
Level 2
I think it looks nice keeping in mind that it's just a prototype.

However isn't there already existing models, would it not be easier to simply use one of those? Adjust it the way you want and work on clothes, animations, movements?

I think it looks nice keeping in mind that it's just a prototype.

However isn't there already existing models, would it not be easier to simply use one of those? Adjust it the way you want and work on clothes, animations, movements?
Hmm ... why it should? I mean ... do you know any SC2 model that comes naturally without armor and clothing and looks "human"? And creating the mesh isn't really the problem after all. The most difficult part is - as always - the skinning and animating.

Level 2
The girl they used in one of their world editor videos looked pretty human to me =] It did have clothes on tho.

I guess if you enjoy modeling then it's not an issue and I'll be waiting to see the progress. I don't know much about 3d modeling. Just remember some of it from long ago when I learned to work in 3d Studio Max ^_-

Level 2
Nice! It's really getting to look good, I like the skin. The thighs look a bit womanly to me ^^

Level 1
Huge fan. Huge, huge fan. Just a question, not so much a critique: is there supposed to be that little bumpy hole thing on his left leg (the leg on the right side of the picture)?

1.Im confused..why is this in this forum?
2. You dont need to model abs...if you knew about sc2's model stuff, you would know you can just normal map them on...
3. That's a wow texture.. :|....
1. Because I think I get more feedback here ;)
2. Errr ... not sure what you mean. What's wrong with the mapping?
3. So what?

Level 45
1. Because I think I get more feedback here ;)
2. Errr ... not sure what you mean. What's wrong with the mapping?
3. So what?
I think you will get more feedback in the sc2 forums o_0...not..really much point posting a sc2 model that will be released for everyone's RPGs (I presume) in a wc3 project forum section :/.

There is no need to model abs, abs..well, they dont really need to be that defined, if they do. A simple normal map will make them pop out as if they are modeled, much like with any other muscles :eek:..A normal map is a texture map that allows the effect of "fake 3d" to a shallow extent. Kinda like a bump map but better.

If you are going to release this model here if sc2 models will have a database/section, Im sure it wont get accepted due to the no exports rule of any sort, but I think its okay to use as a placeholder for the time being.

There is no need to model abs, abs..well, they dont really need to be that defined, if they do. A simple normal map will make them pop out as if they are modeled, much like with any other muscles :eek:..A normal map is a texture map that allows the effect of "fake 3d" to a shallow extent. Kinda like a bump map but better.
Yeah I will try out that normal map thing. However, I think it's still a good idea to have at least *some* details directly modelled to the mesh, especially those larger muscles, as it simply looks better when looking from the side.

EDIT: Tried to apply a normal map, but version 9.0 of 3ds max seems to not have this feature.

If you are going to release this model here if sc2 models will have a database/section, Im sure it wont get accepted due to the no exports rule of any sort, but I think its okay to use as a placeholder for the time being.
Well, as I said, I can always edit the texture to my liking. It was just to generate the mapping coordinates and I will replace the pants with a different skin in the future. And really; if you can tell that this skin is a WoW import (with reskinned pants), then, sir, you are a genius, as I couldn't tell that just from that blurry muscle texture.

Added the biped now ... those hands were really killing me. >_>

Attachments

• Slideshow6.jpg
    Slideshow6.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 893
I changed some things on the materials and added shellac and a bump map.

The rendered result looks like this (pic 1) ...

EDIT: Now also finished the envelopes ... Now I can finally start animating :)

Attachments

• Slideshow7.jpg
    Slideshow7.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 2,173
  • Slideshow8.jpg
    Slideshow8.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 1,484
Last edited:
Now added attachment nodes to the unit.

This is the list of all attachment nodes the unit has:

Overhead
Origin
Weapon Left
Weapon Right
Center (inherits chest position, but not orientation --> for attachments like magical shields or auras)

Hardpoint: Chest, inherits orientation
Hardpoint 01: Shield, left lower arm
Hardpoint 02: Shield, right lower arm
Hardpoint 03: Shield, attached to back
Hardpoint 04: Sword Sheath left
Hardpoint 05: Sword Sheath right
Hardpoint 06: Back, Sword Sheath left
Hardpoint 07: Back, Sword Sheath right
Hardpoint 08: Left Foot
Hardpoint 09: Right Foot
Hardpoint 10: Left lower arm
Hardpoint 11: Right lower arm
Hardpoint 12: Left Upper arm
Hardpoint 13: Right Upper arm
Hardpoint 14: Left shoulder
Hardpoint 15: Right shoulder
Hardpoint 16: Left Upper leg
Hardpoint 17: Right Upper leg
Hardpoint 18: Left lower leg
Hardpoint 19: Right lower leg
Hardpoint 20: Cape

Having attachment points for all parts of the limbs is quite useful, because you can even create pant attachments like that without having to worry about clipping issues. Just create a tube and there you go. Having it symmetrical even allows it to be attached to both left and right leg at the same time.

Attachments

• Slideshow9.jpg
    Slideshow9.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 486
Status
Not open for further replies.