• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WIP - The Corrupted North

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Welcome. It has been years since the last time I was active here on Hive.
I am currently doing terrain for my latest map; The Corrupted North.

I am solely focusing on doing the terrain first because it is a challenge for me.

Feel free to suggest changes.

Attachments

• Camp.png
    Camp.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 279
  • Pool.png
    Pool.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 257
  • Riverside.png
    Riverside.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 523
  • Valley.png
    Valley.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 304
  • Waterfalls.png
    Waterfalls.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 206
  • Mystic Lake.png
    Mystic Lake.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 199
  • Orc Village.png
    Orc Village.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 376
Last edited:

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

Looks good.
I like that you're using no imported models, but I feel like your terrain could be improved upon significantly even with the base blizzard models.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 35
I'm all for no imports and clever use of Blizz models, for certain, but friend...

Please, USE the assets right before your nose, this community has created some pretty damn good resources,
and it's just a shame to not see them used. Besides, your project will never stand out properly without a good
looking first impression, and that comes from the terrain.

Level 8
Could use a bit of floating ice inside the corners of that river (or fjord). Everything looks very frozen, makes the water looks a bit weird. A few broken ships and flanks floating would make it complete. Fjords usually have some isles of sand - though not many.

BTW It seems like you're making a playable RTS or RPG terrain than it's good. If it supposed to be very realistic that fjord could be 3 times bigger with a lot more cliffs.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Not gonna lie, that contrast between the black gravel and the pinkish rock is kinda neat.
Damn straight. I like the use of tiles overall, and it plays very nice with the fog.

If your map style can allow for some imports, there are a few you could look into while retaining a low file size and without losing the low poly feel.

Specifically trees help a lot, e.g. the winter pines in the old UTM version.

Status
Not open for further replies.