• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[WIP] Magma Fountain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
[WIP] Magma Fountain/Blood Fountain whatever!

After a long and exhausting examination week in school, it was finally over. Now I have one week free to do the terrain for my map. Inspired by my first terrain, Water temple, I decided to make a new attraction in the center of my map. I now use the Dungeon/Outland tileset. After a couple of hours(yeah i'm slow lolz ^^) experimenting, I already finished the center area. Now, I'm currently working on the tile variation of the map. Please criticize my simple work. ^^ oh by the way, this map is meant to be playable and currently WIP. Thanks in advance.

P.S.
The pictures are a bit hazy. I can't upload the pictures in photobucket.com(I don't know why) and the files are too big to be uploaded directly here so I edited them and changed the size. Hope you will understand.

Attachments

• Magma Fountain 2 resized.jpg
    Magma Fountain 2 resized.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 199
  • Magma Fountain 3 resized.jpg
    Magma Fountain 3 resized.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 213
  • Magma Fountain 4 resized.jpg
    Magma Fountain 4 resized.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 224
  • Magma Fountain resized.jpg
    Magma Fountain resized.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 218
  • Magma New 2 resized.jpg
    Magma New 2 resized.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Magma New 3 resized.jpg
    Magma New 3 resized.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 157
  • Magma New 4 resized.jpg
    Magma New 4 resized.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 139
  • Magma New 5 resized.jpg
    Magma New 5 resized.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Magma New 7 resized.jpg
    Magma New 7 resized.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 161
  • Magma New resized.jpg
    Magma New resized.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Level 6
Yeah i also noticed that... i can't decide what should i call this terrain. I guess i'll change the name to blood fountain lolz XD

Level 8
If it is meant for a game then test the map and let us see it from inside the game.

If Black mask and Fog of war is on then about 90% of this water, er, um, lava feature will not be seen via game cameras. That as simple as it is.

For games anything large like this is a waste of your time and energy - especially if it is map that will be played in black mask/fog of war style. Waterfalls are not seen and on the edges of any given area of light around the unit the water falls turn darker and are very ugly.

If it is for a cinematic then set a couple of cameras up and then post screen shots from inside the game from the cameras.

As it sits now I can't tell you if its good for a game or not.

Level 6
If it is meant for a game then test the map and let us see it from inside the game.

If Black mask and Fog of war is on then about 90% of this water, er, um, lava feature will not be seen via game cameras. That as simple as it is.

For games anything large like this is a waste of your time and energy - especially if it is map that will be played in black mask/fog of war style. Waterfalls are not seen and on the edges of any given area of light around the unit the water falls turn darker and are very ugly.

If it is for a cinematic then set a couple of cameras up and then post screen shots from inside the game from the cameras.

As it sits now I can't tell you if its good for a game or not.

I tested it in game... and its not good in my opinion. The size of the lava pool is fine, but the height of the fountain is not. Give me an hour or so to remkae the map..... ^^

EDIT: I already remaked the map. I added some ingame sceenshots.

Last edited:
Level 8
I tested it in game... and its not good in my opinion. The size of the lava pool is fine, but the height of the fountain is not. Give me an hour or so to remkae the map..... ^^

EDIT: I already remaked the map. I added some ingame sceenshots.

And a real pity that in game you can not see the full glory of your fountain of lava.

There may be one way to salvage it as a game.

That is to make a series of camera triggers that will be turned on when players enter a region that you lay out over and around the central fountain:

• Fountain Camera
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters Fountain <gen>
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Camera - Set (Owner of (Entering unit))'s camera Angle of attack to 315.00 over 2.00 seconds
      • Camera - Set (Owner of (Entering unit))'s camera Field of view to 100.00 over 2.00 seconds
      • Camera - Set (Owner of (Entering unit))'s camera Height Offset to 900.00 over 2.00 seconds
      • Camera - Set (Owner of (Entering unit))'s camera Far Z to 5500.00 over 2.00 seconds
Then you can have a leaving trigger:

• Leaving the Fountain
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit leaves Fountain <gen>
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Camera - Reset camera for (Owner of (Leaving unit)) to standard game-view over 3.00 seconds
If you only want this triggered by heroes then you would add a condition of classification: (Entering Unit)/((Leaving unit) is A Hero) Equal to True

Entering Unit would be for the entering trigger, leaving for the leaving one.

Instead of using "iseedeadpeople" to see everything, you would want to use:

• Visibility - Create an initially Enabled visibility modifier for (Owner of (Entering unit)) emitting Visibility across Fountain <gen>
Then to turn it off when they leave:
  • Visibility - Create an initially Enabled visibility modifier for (Owner of (Leaving unit)) emitting Fog of war across Fountain <gen>
This will still allow the player to restore game camera controls by their mouse wheel or hitting the default camera keys for the game to move the camera up down, or rotate it side to side.

They will still be able to move the camera bounds from side to side.

IF you want you can lock the game camera for each player to a hidden unit.

"Camera - Lock camera target for (Owner of (Entering unit)) to Fountain of Health 0041 <gen>, offset by (0.00, 0.00) using Default rotation"

I would place a pathless invulnerable neutral passive type unit with its model scaled down super small, and with its collision as near zero as possible. Placing it near the center of the area I want the camera locked too using the camera angles I gave you it would have to be placed toward the south of the center of the region.

Perhaps add a trigger that allows the player to esc from the camera? There are many options there.

Level 34
I don't really like this. Not that it has much wrong with it, it just doesn't have anything going for it either. I suggest more fog. The overview shots with no atmosphere kinda stink.

Level 34
Good to hear. I did say I don't like the overview shots, but I didn't mention that you should use more "artistic" shots. Get nice angles and what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.